Help Needed In Sas And Datawarehousing

10 Posts  ·  7 Users
About this group
Hi Guys I am first year MBA student with a couple of years of experience in the IT industry. I would like to pursue a career as a business analyst in the financial markets domain post MBA. I have got sufficient inputs in pagalguy regardi...
Page 1 of 1

Hi guys,

need info abt Statistical Analysis Tool (SAS).....me in software - banking domain- so wanted to know if it helps and also some good institutes in bangalore, the official one is very expensive.....thnx a lot in adv

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Hi Vivek

I am persuing my first year MBA at SCMHRD Pune. I have a couple of years of work experience in the IT industry. I would like to get back into the IT industry as a business analyst. I want to take up a few SAS Certifications which would be useful to my career

Can you guide as to what sort of Certifications should I take which would benefit me. I will not be a programmer but a business analyst. Should I start with the Base Sas Certification.

It would also br helpful if you can guide me as to how to go about the certification

Regards
Prashanth

Hi Prashant

I am an Advanced SAS certificed professionl. You may contact me for more details.

Regards
Vivek

It would be more helpful if I could get more insights as to how to take up SAS Certification. Are any free materials available on the net. Would a base SAS Certification benefit a person who wants to get into a business analyst role.

Regards
Prashanth

Hi prashanth, SAS exams require solid stats knowledge along with finance(econometrics) or market research (again stats). you need to use SAS press publications and practice in live SAS package. both are very expensive and u need library help for books. most gud b-schools nd engg colleges have SAS package. (net material wont do)
No. base SAS cerification may not help. you need to go for Finance module. however if you are good in stats/econometrics, co.s may give training(inc my co. FIC-FAC).
Usually for similar BA posts ppl are hired from IIT/ISI/DSE/IGIDR etc.

It would be more helpful if I could get more insights as to how to take up SAS Certification. Are any free materials available on the net. Would a base SAS Certification benefit a person who wants to get into a business analyst role.

Regards
Prashanth

Hi Saugata,

To begin with , i am a first year student from VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur & am going to do my summers next year for 6 months at HSBC Analytics & already have a 2 year IT experience in Database management field (SQL Server)at Infosys Tech.

Well , i took up this offer fromn HSBC because i wanted to enter the field of Financial Risk Management and as per the profile details that the theHSBC people explained to us in their campus visit, my training should mostly revolve around working in the field of Credit Scoring with SAS as the main working tool.

So, i will like to know that in order to enhance my knowledge of the financial field & increase my future prospects , will it be advisable to go for the CFA certification in June 2007 along with my regular MBA studies or shall i go for these certifications , once i enter into a full time job. Also i will like to know the relevance of CFA degree for risk management .

Awaiting a quick reply,

Regards,
Sandeep

Hi sandeep, it is a great and upcoming career area. I work for First American corp, owners of Experian and Loanperformance, both mkt leaders in risk mgmt and credit scoring analytics. all IB's and banks are our data/model customers. i have a fair idea of what you want. my suggestions..

1. while CFA gives a good understanding of fin mkts and equity/investmts, look at FRM from GARP (GARP : Global Association of Risk Professionals), awell respected global qualification. expensive enrollment, exams and books. preferably finish your MBA and then go for CFA (AIMR-US) thru co. sponsorship. while in MBA focus on finance and econometrics. be as good as possible in basics of US markets.

2. Be extremely good at stats/econometrics. further aim at SAS financial services module certification (along with biz module). use SAS press books for prep. very expensive--ask IIT library or HSBC to procure. keep this as next 1-1.5 year goal. if possible finish with or immediately after your MBA.

3. you will need strong US market fundas, focussing on mortgages, GSE operations, treasury mkts etc. certifications from mortgage bankers assocation (mbaa.org) will help. keep this as long term goal (4-5 years). again expensive and requires co. support.

Careers take two broad turns here in risk mgmt analytics--pure analytics and risk modelling SW development. pick your area. co.s like FairIsaac (FICO) which gives credit scoring models have offices in India for SW & R&D.;

all these is based on your choice. banks also have operational risk careers. IB's like Lehmann, Goldman, Bear stern also hire credit scoring modelers.

Hi Saugata,

To begin with , i am a first year student from VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur & am going to do my summers next year for 6 months at HSBC Analytics & already have a 2 year IT experience in Database management field (SQL Server)at Infosys Tech.

Well , i took up this offer fromn HSBC because i wanted to enter the field of Financial Risk Management and as per the profile details that the theHSBC people explained to us in their campus visit, my training should mostly revolve around working in the field of Credit Scoring with SAS as the main working tool.

So, i will like to know that in order to enhance my knowledge of the financial field & increase my future prospects , will it be advisable to go for the CFA certification in June 2007 along with my regular MBA studies or shall i go for these certifications , once i enter into a full time job. Also i will like to know the relevance of CFA degree for risk management .

Awaiting a quick reply,

Regards,
Sandeep

Hi Prashoo, SAS has basic business module followed by domain modules in financial and marketing etc depending on career track you choose. Market research or fin analyst.
Co.s like Symphony, First Indian and many more hire SAs qualified freshers in BA.

However your Statistics/econometrics knowledge should be gud for that. Fin market domain knowledge will be added advantage, esp if it is US/UK mkt.

Anybody with more insights in this topic...

Hi Guys

I am first year MBA student with a couple of years of experience in the IT industry. I would like to pursue a career as a business analyst in the financial markets domain post MBA.

I have got sufficient inputs in pagalguy regarding the domain knowledge that a BA should possess. My concern now is the tecnical part of it. I would like to know what are the tools and technologies which are a must for a business analyst. Obviously one cannot learn all of them but a knowledge of a few of them would come in handy

I thought that SAS and Data Warehousing which are useful in data analytics would be very useful to an MBA. I would like to equip myself with certifications in SAS and Data Warehousing. I would like to know if anybody has given SAS certification exams or is planning to give the same. I would also like to know if any study materials are available on the net for SAS and Data Warehousing.

More Inputs on relevance of SAS and Data Warehousing to Business Analysts would be appreciated. More inputs on the tools which a Business Analyst requires is also welcome.

Regards
Prashanth