Help: CSC v/s CTS(Cogni..)

10 Posts  ·  9 Users
About this group
Hi all:) i'm in a dilemma here. I have to choose between CSC(Computer Science Corporation) n CTS(Cognizant). Profile: B.Tech(ECE)- *2006 passout * approx. final %age: 75% Long-term Aim: MBA I'm going to take GMAT by the end...
Page 1 of 1

If u stay in Cognizant for 2 yrs, an onsite opportunity is certain

Nothing is certain. Onsite oppurtunity is totally project specific and depends to a certain level on your performance too. We still have asssociates waiting for their onsite chance after three years here and its no exception. One thing for CTS is the fact that ONSITE oppurtunities are better off than any other company. And regarding the DW/BI stream the number of projects dwarfs in comparison with the number of mainframes projects. And once put it into mainframes it takes a hell-a-lotta persuasion to shift technology. But still if you plan to pursue your higher education CTS would give you ample time for all the preparation.

Runy
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hi all:)

i'm in a dilemma here. I have to choose between CSC(Computer Science Corporation) n CTS(Cognizant). Profile:

B.Tech(ECE)- 2006 passout
approx. final %age: 75%

Long-term Aim: MBA

I'm going to take GMAT by the end of this year, thats for sure. would like to work peacefully then for at least 2 yrs. before applying. may have a crack at CAT next yr. i.e. 2007.

Guide me CSC v/s Cognizant.

I HAVE TO DECIDE BY June last week.

IMHO the +es & -es of each are as follows and you guyzz plzz add to these n help me in reaching a final decision.

CSC:
+es
1) better brand name( or is it...??: ?) ...Fortune-141.
2) may be better visibility abroad

-es
1) bond of 27 months (2 yrs. 3 months...)
2) fear of being put into MAINFRAMES :wow:

CTS:
+es
1) ONSITE OPPORTUNITIES ....wud help me in building better profile for MBA
2) Indian hai yaar....better HR
3) no bond

-ves
1) CSC is way way bigger (i'm damn confused on this...isisliye to yahaan aaya hoon.. )

I request to pour in with your views and help me in my decision.

If u stay in Cognizant for 2 yrs, an onsite opportunity is certain. Onsite opps are limited in testing, but BTechs aren't generally put in testing. As for the tech, u will be allocated a tech at random. And it would be unfair to say that 80% of work in Cognizant is in mainframes. The company does good work in Mainframes, Java/J2EE, .NET and DW/BI. It in fact has one of the biggest DW/BI groups among the India-centric companies.
Biggest +---> No bond

If u need to know anything else, feel free to reply here ot PM me.

cheers
Pradeep!

CTS:
+es
3) no bond

-ves
1) CSC is way way bigger (i'm damn confused on this...isisliye to yahaan aaya hoon.. )

Mua sorry to Spoil ur hopes But CTS doesnt necessarily mean good oppurtunities at Onsite. Its all project dependant and u might end up in the dumps(BENCH) for as long as one and a half years. This might be of an advantage of sorts to prepare for ur exams. But, remember that CTS offers one of the lowest packages in the country and they re recruiting people like taking in cattle. Although the pay might look good initially it remains the same even after two years.If u r scared that CSC might put u into mainframes take this: >80 % of work in Cognizant is in Mainframes. Better HR.. No comments on this one..HR are HR wherever u go.
No BOND This is the biggest advantage. Just a two month notice period and off u leave. even if u cant give two months notice u can pay up for the notice period and leave.
I dunno much about CSC on these fronts.

I am just giving u a true picture and its upto u to decide.

BOL

Runy

Hello Puys !

I am an MBA in Finance (commerce background) with 2+ years of work ex in JP Morgan, Mumbai. I am however, damn pisd off with these back-end jobs in research and hence I am contemplating a change from finance to IT Consulting.

Actually I came to know about the field of IT Consulting only after seeing a couple of ads for the profile given out by Cognizant Tech Services (CTS). I just contacted few batchmates of mine and then I came to know that it is a thriving field where you meet clients, understand their needs and help developing a software or network or blah blah as per their requirements.

In other words, you would be acting as a critical link between coders/ programmers employed in your company and the company's clients and interact with both of them and get the work done.

This has interested me great deal and I really want to get into it but I dont have any IT background and I dont know how to make an entry in the field. Is IT expertise prerequisite for this field? If yes, could I do any courses to make the change possible?

Experienced guys please bombard the thread with your views.

Thanks all.

Dude go gor CSC!!If GMAT-MBA is your plan then Mainframe or open system doesnt affect you.
CSC is a big brand name in the market.On site opputunity are equal in both the cases.

Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!

With regard to MBA, they make no difference whatsoever.

FYI,

CTS is the fastest growing IT company today. and CSC has hired goldman sachs to explore options to sell itself.

Moreover, with a booming job market, staying in service company without onsite chances for more than a year is very difficult. you might have a tough time breaking the bond.

So, IMHO, CTS is far better.

CTS:
+es
3) no bond
quote]
hey
by the way who the hell told u dat Cognizant an Indian company.
My suggestion wud be that if u have to go for MBA after gaining work ex. the close ur eyes and join Cognizant.
Coz' MBA is not a childs play.Its preperation needs time and that u cannot extract CSC thats for sure.In CTS also u will not be able to get time easily but depends on u how u manage to extract it there.
And mind u i am talking of extracting the time not getting the time.
U will not be able to get time in any of these but will have to extract it.But in CSC even extracting is a task in itself.

Rest the call is urs.
Cheers.

CTS:
+es
3) no bond

quote]
hey
by the way who the hell told u dat Cognizant an Indian company.
My suggestion wud be that if u have to go for MBA after gaining work ex. the close ur eyes and join Cognizant.
Coz' MBA is not a childs play.Its preperation needs time and that u cannot extract CSC thats for sure.In CTS also u will not be able to get time easily but depends on u how u manage to extract it there.
And mind u i am talking of extracting the time not getting the time.
U will not be able to get time in any of these but will have to extract it.But in CSC even extracting is a task in itself.

Rest the call is urs.
Cheers.

hey buddy...u answered yr question yrself only...c u r a fresher(...correct me if i m wrong)...goin for GMAT...as far as my knowledge... ne foreign institute asks for work-ex...nd wat better than a fortune-141 company...dun think
2-1/2 yrs as a bond period...think it a lerning process...
....................................my take s on==> CSC ..................................

Hi all:)

i'm in a dilemma here. I have to choose between CSC(Computer Science Corporation) n CTS(Cognizant). Profile:

B.Tech(ECE)- 2006 passout
approx. final %age: 75%

Long-term Aim: MBA

I'm going to take GMAT by the end of this year, thats for sure. would like to work peacefully then for at least 2 yrs. before applying. may have a crack at CAT next yr. i.e. 2007.

I HAVE TO DECIDE BY June last week.

IMHO the +es & -es of each are as follows and you guyzz plzz add to these n help me in reaching a final decision.

CSC:
+es
1) better brand name( or is it...??: ?) ...Fortune-141.
2) may be better visibility abroad

-es
1) bond of 27 months (2 yrs. 3 months...)
2) fear of being put into MAINFRAMES :wow:

CTS:
+es
3) no bond

-ves