Hectic job & GMAT prep...need suggestions ::>

6 Posts  ·  4 Users
About this group
*Hi Guys,* *I'm B.Tech.(Met.) from REC Trichy, having 2 years of experience in the field of Sales & Marketing in two different MNCs of very high repute. I'm a GMAT aspirant. Now my question goes here....* *My current job is very demanding in t...
Page 1 of 1

Let me put in something from a veteran of the BPO/Call Centre space's point of view.

Ppapers your first job in the call centre would disorient you completely ... and you will need to put in a lot of concious effort to manage your padhai at the same time. Which looking at your faring v/s the 8 to 8 which your current job asks you to do .... you might not be able to manage happily.

Like Kunal I would not advise you to quit to prep ... or to change your job to prep. Unless you do so to ":pursue you dreams" ie join an NGO on a honorarium or teach English in Somalia or take a oil rig position in Mozambique (soemthing which is so far out that your average applicants would not have anything similar in their resumes).

And doing something this deviant is advisable only if you have a good academic record.

I would say begin by taking a GMAT prep test ... and invest in a laptop and wireless internet connection.

The other approach can be ... say good-bye to the sales incentives and look for a desk job in your present organisation.... even if it is 6 months hence. Then begin your prep.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Oye...what is this...Same thread running on two forums!! i just replied to this post on the "B schools abroad" forum and then i come here and find the same thread!! Paper dude, no duplication of threads...it might backfire if people decide to play a joke by giving you contradicting advice on the two threads!!!

This is my only 2nd job and not the 3rd one....
I've tried everything and hence concluded that if my job itself is so demanding, even boss can't help me out..

-Tej.

this is ur 2nd job. u shift to call centre till ur GMAT (3rd job) . then u go in for a better job (4th job!!)

and never conclude anything on personal opinion. if you are so clear on leaving a job. why dont you go ahead and ask. cant be worse on the prof front!!

Kunal

This is my only 2nd job and not the 3rd one....
I've tried everything and hence concluded that if my job itself is so demanding, even boss can't help me out..

-Tej.

Hi Guys,
I'm B.Tech.(Met.) from REC Trichy, having 2 years of experience in the field of Sales & Marketing in two different MNCs of very high repute. I'm a GMAT aspirant. Now my question goes here....
My current job is very demanding in the sense of time and dedication. ??: As I said it's in the field of Sales & Marketing, it needs lot of local traveling within the city and takes lot of time & energy of mine. Working hours are like morning 8 to night 11 with no weekend holidays. The company and its renumeration are simply great but I'm just not finding even a single hour for my GMAT prep in a day. Very common answer to this situation for a firm GMAT candidate like me comes out to be- try to find some time out of a day... isnt it?? Yeah, but even I did that. It's really difficult to be in this job and find time because if I go for finding time for prep, it'll affect my performance and dedication to the job which will make it difficult to be in the company :wow: !
I've TWO options at this point of time... ONE is to leave the job, sit at home and prepare for GMAT and SECONDLY to leave this job and go for a new job which is of 8 hours working profile and requires less of dedication in the rest of the day.. i.e. call center etc. I personally feel that as I already have two years of good work exp, there won't be any harm in working for a call center for few months until I appear for GMAT and get admission into some known international B-school. I guess I can convince the interview panel for my leaving the said good job and an MNC and joining a call center, for this genuine reason.
For this situation please give me some suggestions.... how should I go ahead with this situation.... to leave the job and sit at home and prepare??? Or to leave this hectic job and go for a comparatively cool job like call center or something else which u could suggest for few months.... etc etc.
Regards,
-Tej.

lemme put it bluntly:
you wud be stupid to leave the job for a call centre.
you say the job is gud. you say they pay you well.
you say that you r enjoying work.
but you do not have time for GMAT. try and explaining the things to your immediate boss. he might just understand.
shifting to call centre to prepare for GMAT wud be harakiri in the true sense. no matter what you tell ur interviewers, how are you going to justify 4 jobs in three years?
think of something else

one of my fav quotes:
if you work late, there is only 1 of the 2 reasons behind it:
either you are inefficient or your management is

what side are you on?

Kunal
Hi Guys,
I'm B.Tech.(Met.) from REC Trichy, having 2 years of experience in the field of Sales & Marketing in two different MNCs of very high repute. I'm a GMAT aspirant. Now my question goes here....
My current job is very demanding in the sense of time and dedication. ??: As I said it's in the field of Sales & Marketing, it needs lot of local traveling within the city and takes lot of time & energy of mine. Working hours are like morning 8 to night 11 with no weekend holidays. The company and its renumeration are simply great but I'm just not finding even a single hour for my GMAT prep in a day. Very common answer to this situation for a firm GMAT candidate like me comes out to be- try to find some time out of a day... isnt it?? Yeah, but even I did that. It's really difficult to be in this job and find time because if I go for finding time for prep, it'll affect my performance and dedication to the job which will make it difficult to be in the company :wow: !
I've TWO options at this point of time... ONE is to leave the job, sit at home and prepare for GMAT and SECONDLY to leave this job and go for a new job which is of 8 hours working profile and requires less of dedication in the rest of the day.. i.e. call center etc. I personally feel that as I already have two years of good work exp, there won't be any harm in working for a call center for few months until I appear for GMAT and get admission into some known international B-school. I guess I can convince the interview panel for my leaving the said good job and an MNC and joining a call center, for this genuine reason.
For this situation please give me some suggestions.... how should I go ahead with this situation.... to leave the job and sit at home and prepare??? Or to leave this hectic job and go for a comparatively cool job like call center or something else which u could suggest for few months.... etc etc.
Regards,
-Tej.