HEC Montreal MBA Fall 2010

48 Posts  ·  19 Users
About this group
Dear All, I invite all the applicants and admitted students for HEC Montreal MBA Fall 2010 to join in and contribute. Regards, Crude_Brain
Page 1 of 5

@enaskim

Hi guys,I finally got a call from HEC telling me that they have scheduled a face to face interview with 2 ex MBA student. Can anybody tell me more about this interview? what's its aim? can anybody help with the preparation.Thanks

Below are a few interview tips for you:

1) Answering “Why MBA” question: While answering this question, avoid talking too much about your past or let your past drive you to MBA. Consider this example – “Having worked in an IT project for a financial firm, I think that I mastered one part of the business and by doing MBA I would be able to handle the entire business…” – this kind of answering style is primitive and shows a lack of clarity about your goals.

2) Showcase genuine, honest efforts towards building a career: Be very clear where do you wish to be in your career 5 or 10 years down the line? What have you done so far in that direction? How much interest do you have in your future career? Have you done any ground work in understanding your future career? If yes then it would bring a lot of credibility to your candidature. Now, consider this example – “I am a lawyer by profession and over a period of time I got interested in advertising. I attended a seminar on advertising and wanted to try my hands on it. I have shot 4 short videos and published it on social media. I see a huge potential in social media advertising as FMCG firms can get useful insights about their products and services….. “. Further you can talk about some more specific insights (they need not be number driven) – a genuine sense of enthusiasm should be brought out in your answers.

3) 360 Degree Profile is over-hyped: Do not try forcefully to portray yourself as a 360 degree personality unless you are one. Off lately it has become a norm to narrate one story about NGO and one achievement in sports. In most cases the interviewer can see through your story and it may weaken your position. For e.g. if you do not play outdoor sports, it does not mean you are not versatile, you may be good in some other aspect, please highlight that.

4) Avoid generic information, it irks the interviewer: Consider this example: Why you want to join XYZ B-School in India? Answer- “As Indian GDP is consistently growing over 7% and Indian government is about to allow FDI in retail, the industry forecasts a healthy growth for Indian retail. So I want to make a career in India only and school XYZ is the best choice.” – Here, it is highly unlikely that the audience would not be aware of GDP figures. You have just wasted time here and information you shared is practically redundant.

5) Keep your funny side alive:

This one is easier said than done, especially in a pressure interview. At times, the interviewer wants to check whether you are presentable or not. Consulting and front-end banking professionals get to meet with CXO level people in client firms and are supposed to build rapport with clients. Interviewer may share some witty jokes, do not miss the pun thereby making the conversation boring. You have to talk like a smart on the spot thinker and prove that you can take care of valuable clients (including pushy ones). Never ever make faces if interviewer is trying to irk you – interviewer would perceive that you would do the same with clients. People with work experience are expected to do well on this front.
Hope this helps.

Official B-school Counselor for Pagalguy Download Mobile App to avail free counseling from Alumni http://bit.ly/1zNtRLi
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi guys,

I finally got a call from HEC telling me that they have scheduled a face to face interview with 2 ex MBA student. Can anybody tell me more about this interview? what's its aim? can anybody help with the preparation.

Thanks

Please go to the relevant thread, you will some find info:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/hec-montreal-ft-mba-fall-2011-25062954
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi guys,

I finally got a call from HEC telling me that they have scheduled a face to face interview with 2 ex MBA student. Can anybody tell me more about this interview? what's its aim? can anybody help with the preparation.

Thanks

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi,

I am planning to go to Montreal on Aug 9th. Anyone from India , who has decided to join HEC this fall.

Also, does anyone have suggestion for temperory accomodation at Montreal for first few days.

Hi crude_brain,

Have you joined HEC? How is your experience in HEC so far? I am planning to apply for Fall 2011 but I would like to hear about some "real-time" experiences.

Do you have an alternate address I can contact you at?

Let me know!

Thanks,
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi crude_brain, this is Sagnik from Kolkata. I am going to HEC this Fall. But I will join late due to late decision...starting on 18 or 19th. Will miss the orientation :-(.

How long did it take you to get QAC and Study permit. I have applied for both last wk.waiting for a positive outcome
Did nt get enough time to search for accomodatiom.though applied for Uni acco. Have you searched the accomodation at Montreal?.....Pls inform me.

Anyways...BEST OF LUCK!!!
HOPE TO C U THERE!!!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

I am planning to go to Montreal on Aug 9th. Anyone from India , who has decided to join HEC this fall.

Also, does anyone have suggestion for temperory accomodation at Montreal for first few days.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Last year international students with 700+ in GMAT paid the tuition fees for PRs. Fees for intl. students were 28K CAD whereas for PRs it was only 16K. That's a reduction of 12K!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

how much scholarship can be offered to an admit with GMAT 710? I am an admit of Fall 2010 HEC MONTREAL MBA program, and hope to know you all!

justice-done@hotmail.com

Best Regards!
SCOTT

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am in Montreal right now and so far found HEC a highly respected school here. Whereas Mcgill is great for law and medicine and Concordia for engineering, HEC is rated best for business.

But HEC is out an out a French school with only MBA offered in English. And one will find Montreal only an extension of Paris. Knowing the language is important and many employers (incl. multinationals) here will look for bi-lingual MBAs. Bi-linguals are also paid higher salaries across Canada.

However, the program is very intensive and may not allow enough time/energy to enroll in a language course. But an HEC MBA + French Fluency = Good Prospect/Higher Salaries (and Montreal's living cost is lowest).

Hope to see you guys very soon....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Guys,
Does any one have idea about placement post MBA at HEC Montreal

thanks,

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...