Haskayne MBA Fall 2012 Applicants

215 Posts  ·  25 Users
About this group
Hi, I have decided to establish this thread for all Haskayne MBA, Fall 2012 applicants. I will be submitting my application and supporting documents in weeks to come. I wish you all the best in your application process. Ta...
Page 1 of 22

@Roh888

Hey Everyone!This is Rohit from Delhi.I got an admit this morning...wohoooo...:clap:with a scholarship of $5000 plus the $11,500 reduction in the total tuition.Well, I am awaiting other results but I am sure with my inclination towards Canada...Its gonna be Haskayne! ( I just hope I arrange my finances well!)Now I have these questions to ask: Help!:1. Whats the best way to send in the deposit? A wire transfer or a DD couriered??!?2. And Please can anyone in the world explain me the tuition fee funda at Haskayne!.... How much are we expecting to spend only for the sake of 'Tuition'??.. Please divide the expense between the first and the second year...Adjust the scholarship of $5000(This will be paid to us in four installments starting sep as mentioned in the offer letter sent by Micheline) and then you have $11,500 ( This depends upon the no. of course we take...I suppose we are gonna take 10 courses in the first year).....So HOW MUCH is it gonna be exactly... Tuition???....:banghead:Awaiting reply!...:-)

Hi Rohit,

My name is Raja and I am from New Delhi, India. The thing is I have got an admit from Haskayne Business School for Full Time MBA program starting from Sept 2014. I am really glad I got the admit , but while doing some research on the internet, I could only find reviews about the same.

I was wondering if someone studying there could help me with this. I'll be really thankful if you could share your thoughts on the study standards, placement or market conditions, living conditions etc. in Calgary, Canada.

I'll be mostly funding my studies by bank loan, so it would be really helpful if someone from studying,there can actually advice me on this. Whenever you find time, please reply to this message. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Thanks

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
i have 3.1 yrs of workex currently in IT as senior software developer and would have 4.3 yrs in fall 2013 in which i want to join full time mba...but my gmat score is prettly low at 590...with this low score( though have a decent acads with 3.8 cgpa and 82 and 88 % in 10th and 12th std and loads of curricular activities while in college and won awards twice for consistent and hardwork in my projects in IT cmpny...) , not eyeing the ivy leagues but still 2 tier cllges with good repo would be ok...is Haskayne school good enough to apply as i heard oil/gas sector exp. is must in there to get a decent job and diffclt for consulting...kindly advice...
Thanks & Regards, crazyhim
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

"I cannot agree with you any more' means "I completely agree with you" :)

Dear Uniwander, I wouldn't mind your being disagree with any one, not only with me.
Quite contrary, People who are not sure what they want, can not excel anywhere. Before applying to any Univ. One should be aware of such (Placements, salary, sectors etc) factors. I applied to Calgary because of my Prior work ex. which is in Oil & Gas.
Best of Luck wherever you go.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear Uniwander, I wouldn't mind your being disagree with any one, not only with me.
Quite contrary, People who are not sure what they want, can not excel anywhere. Before applying to any Univ. One should be aware of such (Placements, salary, sectors etc) factors. I applied to Calgary because of my Prior work ex. which is in Oil & Gas.
Best of Luck wherever you go.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Buddy, I cannot agree with you any more...

It's very likely that I won't go to Haskayne. From what I know, if you don't have a good background in oil&gas; industry, it will be very difficult to find a decent job in Calgary. Of course, if the main goal is to immigrate to Canada, Haskayne might be a good choice considering the relatively low tuition.

I have decided to attend GWU only. Still I would love to know the Haskayne community. There is no harm in that.
Aside from US or Canada Univ. remember one thing, for an international student it hardly matters wherever you go (Except Ivy leagues), you gotto prepare yourself for the job search. There are no campus placements as such for international students even in top notch US Universities. Students get the job by their own effort with the help of career services or other contacts. Since we are Indian, its a fact very hard to digest...:-). I can understand that..!
I think that in such case when you are going to a mediocre Univ., ROI should be the top most priority.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I have decided to attend GWU only. Still I would love to know the Haskayne community. There is no harm in that.
Aside from US or Canada Univ. remember one thing, for an international student it hardly matters wherever you go (Except Ivy leagues), you gotto prepare yourself for the job search. There are no campus placements as such for international students even in top notch US Universities. Students get the job by their own effort with the help of career services or other contacts. Since we are Indian, its a fact very hard to digest...:-). I can understand that..!
I think that in such case when you are going to a mediocre Univ., ROI should be the top most priority.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello VJReliance, have you changed your mind? You mentioned earlier in your post that you denied the offer from Haskayne and decide to got to GWU in US...

Is that true? If so what changed?

Hey Guys..
I have created a close group exclusively for the Haskayne Class of 2014 on Face book. I request you alll to go through it and join the group.
here is the link for the group
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey Guys..
I have created a close group exclusively for the Haskayne Class of 2014 on Face book. I request you alll to go through it and join the group.
here is the link for the group
http://www.facebook.com/groups/431812976839920/

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey VJReliance, do you have more updates on the fellows in Haskayne? Have they located any jobs or internships?

I may or may not attend Haskayne...If all you hear is bad news, I'm probably more convinced not to go to this business school...

Overall, if you don't have local work experiences or you don't have a background in oil&gas; industry, Haskayne may not be a very good choice..

Dear uniwander,
You put it correctly about the states and its tight immigration policy. It has never ever been so easy to enter the states. Besides, the the cost of attending a US Business school is almost 2 to 3 times that of a Canadian Business School.
What distinguishes both countries from a student point of view however, is the wide acceptance of Brand America, specially back home in India. Amrican Univs are so open-mindedly accepted in India that it's not possible to compare the value on your investments with those of Canadian Univs..Just my 2 cents!

Take the recent example of this year's ISB class configuration.. Two of my seniors (@ my Co.) from Purdue University were admitted without much hassle to the class, having scored in lower 600s in GMAT. The success saga dosen't just stops there man! The salary package and the growth prospects for people having an MBA from quality American Business Schools are way too high compared with any Indian Bschools except IIM A & B. In fact I have worked with people from IIM Indore & Lucknow.. and believe me guys I never could have knew if they were IIM alumnus had I not seen their CVs incidently.

Off-course the job search in USA is also fierce, but one can rely on his own, provided he/she is having some quality work experience under his/her belt. Supplemented with a quality b school degree, one should be fine in his job search. Moreover, given the no. of companies, this seems realistic at least for me.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

if we have to pay 1st term tution fee, then we are in soup.

I haven't started visa yet but waiting to start from 1st week of june.

once visa thing gets over, we can breathe easily as I am not sure how tough/easy is candian visa

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...