Greatest Military generals in your opinion

61 Posts  ·  41 Users
About this group
well there was a thread for wars so i thot ebbe a thread for generals wud be nice..... my ratings(from ancient history) 1\. Salah ad-Din Yusuf(the man who singlehandedly stopped the 3rd crusade) 2\. Scipio Africanus & Hannibal....who f...
Page 1 of 7

it is futile to brand someone as alltime gr8 becoz all of them had entirely different set of cirumstances.Even the nsoe noteworthy one acccording to me
1.Alexander
2.Ashoka
3.Rajendra Chola(he ruled till indonesia)
4.Allaudin khilji ( many people think that gouri and ghajnavi established muslim rule.But whole of south india and all the rajputs of Rajasthan were conquered by allaudin khilji).
5.Shivaji
6.Balaji abjirao peshwa
7.Zorawar Singh ( who won laddakh for India and could subdue fierce pathans with harisingh nalwa).
8.Chengis khan(he shoul be at the top of list ideally).

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
It has got to be Hitler...His opposition was just too strong.

Regards
dsk

Hitler made some of the biggest military and tactical blunders ever. He'ld be my pick for the 10 worst general's in military history.

It has got to be Hitler...His opposition was just too strong.

Regards
dsk

vahgar Says
Ghajini, failed 17 times to capture a fort but never gave up hope..he reminds me of my time aimcats Joan of Arc's pretty cool read about her in french class at school, was sad when she died

Thats a wrong historical fact.

Mahmood of Ghazni (998 AD - 1030 AD) carried out 17 successful Invasions between 1000 AD & 1027 AD in India. They were against diffrent kingdoms (Hindushahi, Gurjar Pratiharas, Chalukyas of Gujrat etc.) focussing mainy to extract enormous wealth stored in Indian Temple cities (Somnath, Nagarkot, Kalinjar, Kannaujetc). His most (in)famous raid include destruction of Somnath Temple (1025 AD).

Now about the legend of Prithviraj & Mohammad Ghori (1173 AD - 1206 AD)..
The history says that Ghori fought two battles in India (famously called Battle of Tarain);
Ist Battle (1191 AD) - Ended in favour of Prithviraj Chauhan.
IInd Battle (1192 AD) - Ended in favour of Ghori.
Prithviraja was then allowed to rule over Ajmer for some time (we have evidence in the form of coins of this period giving the date & the legend "Prithvirajadeva" on one side & "Sri Muhammad bin Sam" (real name of Ghori) on the other.

Now the legend of Prithviraj - Sayunkta and Prithviraj - Ghori is attributed to Chandbardai (court bard/ Vidushak/Bhand - the one who sings in the glory of the master even if he's loosing).
The legend is present in a Rajasthani/Hindi Epic "Prithviraj Rasau" which is believed to be composed by Chandbardai, but is not considered as reliable text as every generation of Bards kept adding & exaggerating it till 17th century. (It contains many impossible and super-human tales).

The purpose of Ghori was to extend his empire rather than looting wealth and this is evident from the fact that The famous Delhi Sultanate was founded on Ghori's Death in 1206. Qutubuddin Aibaq was Ghori's Commander...

P.S. - Ghori & Ghazni are places in Afganistan from where these two belonged...

My list of greatest generals.- NOT KINGS (like genghis khan , ashoka ,chandragupt , alexander as mentioned earlier)

1. Field Marshall Rommel - for Operation Desert Fox.
2. Sun Tzu - Ar of War , need I say more??
3. Bismarck - The "Brain" behind the rise of AXIS powers.
4. Dwight Eisenhower - For boosting the morale of crestfallen English the day before Normandy. Infact his tactics were indeed instrumental in the methodical destruction of Germans ... ofcourse , an army of 3 million plus annnd unlimited resources did help ! but still managing a ship overflowing with resources also needs a lot of resourcefulness and vision.

Shall add to da list later.

Check my blog- http://strat.in

One of the greatest Generals in my opinion is Chiang Kai-Shek of China who held the invading Japanese army at bay during the 2nd world war.

well great scott has said that alexander's world conquest is not to be agreed with..........but i wanna say that in the list of great generals alexander has a very special position cause no general in history has done what alexander has done, and that wld be to turn the strength of a enemy into their worst weakness............history has a lot of examples of how alexander did this.....like for instance........at one time the chariot with spears attached to the wheel was considered invincible until it was tried against alexander who positioned his army in such superb formations for the chariot that it was never again used in the history of battle..........thats some commanding power
so alexader is in the very top of my list

Salahuddin is overrated. He enjoyed technological and numerical advantages in all his battles. Alexander is worth mentioning, so is Attilla, Ashoka and Samudra Gupta.

This one's pretty simple. Genghis Khan. The Mongols under him had 21st century army in the middle ages. Mobility, tactics, effectiveness against the much larges foe ie. China, Persia etc. They had a great inhouse system too which was secular, meritocracy (something we don't have in India even today) and down right effeciently managed.

Mongol's struck fear in the hearts of Europeans, Persians, Arabs, Indians and ofcourse the Chinese. Genghis Khan!

My vote goes to sam Maneckshaw as well