GRE in lieu of GMAT

12 Posts  ·  18 Users
About this group
I am seeing that GRE is being accepted in almost all the top b-schools in USA. Anyone who is trying to give GRE/thinking of using their past score towards their MBA application? GRE to GMAT conversion tool GRE: For Institutions: GRE Compar...
Page 1 of 2
@bhaveshmak said:
I would like to know the difference between GRE and GMAT. TIME institute at Ahmedabad are providing coaching for GRE and not for GMAT, i intend to appear for GMAT, TIME people said there is no much difference between GRE and GMAT and one can opt for GRE coaching instead of GMAT,i would like to know the authenticity of aforesaid statement by TIME, thanks
Dude, i dont know much about GMAT but i can say that it is different from the GRE. It is totally illogical to join GMAT classes to prepare for GRE. Please don't fall for what TIME is telling you
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I would like to know the difference between GRE and GMAT. TIME institute at Ahmedabad are providing coaching for GRE and not for GMAT, i intend to appear for GMAT, TIME people said there is no much difference between GRE and GMAT and one can opt for GRE coaching instead of GMAT,

i would like to know the authenticity of aforesaid statement by TIME, thanks

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@Psychodementia

thanks..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@adityamathurr my recommendation is to download a powerprep test from the ets website for GRE and see for yourself.

I feel the prep might help! However it might make sense to buy some specific prep material for the GRE.

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company: http://crackverbal.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Psychodementia sir i need your help...
i was preparing for CAT from T.I.M.E and now i want to give GRE in january most probably... could you please tell me the difference in CAT and GRE... will my CAT preparation help me in GRE ?? is the T.I.M.E material sufficient for CAT ?? or should i refer some extra material... ??
please help
James Bond
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,
Just came across this post and thought I'd throw my two cents in. @pip123 - I don't think you're at an inherent disadvantage using the GRE to apply. As long as the B-school accepts GRE scores and your score has the following criteria, you should be fine.
a) using the ETS GRE to GMAT score conversion scale, your GRE score ought to fall within the school average
b) Your GRE score shouldn't be skewed towards either Math or Verbal.

I'm speaking from experience here. Applied in R3 with a 1350 on the GRE and was accepted.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
nitinteks Says
What is context here ??

We are trying to determine the pros and cons of GRE over GMAT.

Have a look at this link below:

Integrated Reasoning Question Formats

The integrated reasoning questions in the new GMAT are really something.

Regards,

Shouvik.
Nitin, www.edvento.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

So in sum:

GRE +
1. Knowing 500 words in context.
2. Simpler RC's

GMAT +
1. I love the CR.
2. No need of a very strong vocab.

Based on your 'type' you can choose.

Regards,

Shouvik.

What is context here ??
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
I teach both the tests so have got a good idea of what it takes.

Here are the Pros and Cons:

GRE
----
Pros:

1. If you are tired after taking GMAT for the nth time - this might a change of strategy. You can leverage your expertise in RC and CR from GMAT.

2. If you are good at mugging up wordlists your job in Verbal is half-done. This is tested in 2 areas (a) Text Completion (b) Sentence Equivalence that is almost half the total questions on the GRE.

Cons:

1. The new format with more emphasis on usage is BS. You still need to know what the word means. Maybe contextual placement can ease the job - but you still need to go through the wordlist. Can be painful.

2. GMAT makes it easier for bschools to compare you with other candidates. Especially since most people still apply with GMAT scores. Also you might end up standing out of the pack (the adcom might think - why is this person NOT taking the GMAT).

GMAT
----
Pros:

1. Accepted widely & for long so that way the GMAT scores are benchmarked. So a 720 (say) on the GMAT has a certain value/weightage attached to it that is universally understood. Unlike a 313/340 on the GMAT!

2. It is a more logical test where you apply yourself to score high. You don't need to run around trying to figure out meanings of words you will never use in normal adult conversation in a corporate setting. If you know what I mean

Cons:
-----

1. GMAT can be harsh on those who are not used to applying themselves to problems. Many of the verbal questions don't follow conventional route/logic - something that test-takers will find extremely annoying/frustrating.

2. It is more expensive - not just the test itself but also the ancillary stuff around it - coaching, books etc. Taking it a few times can drain you potentially about 50K (if not worse).

Thats my take,

Arun

Hi,

I cannot agree more with Arun here. I had taken the GMAT and, very recently taken the GRE as well.

I felt that the new GRE is an attempt by ETS to make the test more B-school friendly. One good thing was that I memorized just 500 words for the new GRE , whereas you need to go through 3.5k or at least 1.5k words for the old one. The words are applied contextually. That's a blessing.

The text completion and sentence equivalence sections can loosely be mapped to the sentence completion and the analogies section in the old GRE.

Here's one thing: The RC passages are short, sweet and simple. So, if you are bored of reading long passages for the GMAT, this will be a refreshing change.

You can also find a critical reasoning question as a GRE RC passage.

The math section are more or less similar. The only things I needed to practice is for the different question formats.

So in sum:

GRE +
1. Knowing 500 words in context.
2. Simpler RC's

GMAT +
1. I love the CR.
2. No need of a very strong vocab.

Based on your 'type' you can choose.

Regards,

Shouvik.
Nitin, www.edvento.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I teach both the tests so have got a good idea of what it takes.

Here are the Pros and Cons:

GRE
----
Pros:

1. If you are tired after taking GMAT for the nth time - this might a change of strategy. You can leverage your expertise in RC and CR from GMAT.

2. If you are good at mugging up wordlists your job in Verbal is half-done. This is tested in 2 areas (a) Text Completion (b) Sentence Equivalence that is almost half the total questions on the GRE.

Cons:

1. The new format with more emphasis on usage is BS. You still need to know what the word means. Maybe contextual placement can ease the job - but you still need to go through the wordlist. Can be painful.

2. GMAT makes it easier for bschools to compare you with other candidates. Especially since most people still apply with GMAT scores. Also you might end up standing out of the pack (the adcom might think - why is this person NOT taking the GMAT).

GMAT
----
Pros:

1. Accepted widely & for long so that way the GMAT scores are benchmarked. So a 720 (say) on the GMAT has a certain value/weightage attached to it that is universally understood. Unlike a 313/340 on the GMAT!

2. It is a more logical test where you apply yourself to score high. You don't need to run around trying to figure out meanings of words you will never use in normal adult conversation in a corporate setting. If you know what I mean

Cons:
-----

1. GMAT can be harsh on those who are not used to applying themselves to problems. Many of the verbal questions don't follow conventional route/logic - something that test-takers will find extremely annoying/frustrating.

2. It is more expensive - not just the test itself but also the ancillary stuff around it - coaching, books etc. Taking it a few times can drain you potentially about 50K (if not worse).

Thats my take,

Arun

India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company: http://crackverbal.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...