GMAT Query Center 2009-10

748 Posts  ·  273 Users
About this group
You know it is time for a new Query Center, when people stop reading the first post and start asking Questions that they shouldn't be. I've added more FAQs, and gone into a little more depth as compared to last time. Hopefully, this should avoid o...
Page 1 of 75
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
30 to 40 lacs is a huge some that you loan for. I haven't yet heard of any bank giving that amount of student loan. You can do get a scholarship or financial aid from college and some part of family savings can make up to that some of money.
Interest rates usually fall between 10 to 12 percent, depending upon the amount and the period of loan.
You always have an option of paying back that loan after you are done with your studies.

Thanks Anuj.
Ok lets see, I think I can come up with finance!!
Thanks again....:)
Hello

I am planning to give GMAT in 2011 somwhere in August.i have alrady applied for Passport.Is passport needed while booking a date for exam and how much in advance must we book the date.
Kindly help

A passport needs to be presented at the exam centre, though it's not necessary to book a date.

You can book a date without a passport.

I think you can book a date 6 months in advance (check on mba.com). If that's the case, you cannot book the date now.
Book your date sometime in Feb'11 for Aug'11 test. Again, as I said check on mba.com.

Cheers!

Hello

I am planning to give GMAT in 2011 somwhere in August.i have alrady applied for Passport.Is passport needed while booking a date for exam and how much in advance must we book the date.
Kindly help

Hi Guys,
I read the posts in this thread and found them really good. I must appreciate Puys for such a nice platform to post-grad aspirants.

I plan to give GMAT next year and do Ex-MBA in 2012(or 2013) from a top-rated college in India only. I forsee only one college as of now(ISB) though I am open to other options.

here is the quick review of my not-so-great-profile:

Work-ex of 2 years in TCS as s/w engineer.
Work-ex of 7 months in i2i Telesource Pvt Ltd(BPO/KPO) as MIS Analyst.
(i dont have exp-certificate for this and doubt weather I should count this exp or not:banghead::banghead:)

10th(CBSE): 72%
12th(CBSE, ComputerScience Stream): 67%
B.Tech-IT(GJUST, Hisar-not known to many): 70%

other than that I have participated in many Mathematics Olympiad(Regional/National) during my school and have secured good scores.

I was an active member in organising school fests.
I was an active member of National level Cultural Fest(kshITj) organising committee at my college and has headed 3-4 events for consecutive 2 years.
I was also a crucial member of placement cell in my college and organised placement-trips to other cities as there was no direct placement in our college.

This is all what I have done all these years. but then, I am another pagal amongst you eyeing for top-shot.

I know there is a big-fat-Workexperience-criteria-of-5PLUSyears for Ex-MBA in India, but I cant wait longer to start preprations atleast. I am open to regular MBA if my priorities allow me in due course of time.

I want to know what are the options for MBA and Ex-MBA in India via GMAT(other than ISB) for me?
Do I seriously need to improve my profile. If yes then how?
Do IIMs accept GMAT scores for regular MBA course?If yes then do my profile fits for it?
Last but not the least, what the fuss about FMS? Do FMS except GMAT scores?

Thanks for bearing my irregular queries:)

Hi,

I just took a power prep test (the older version of GMAT prep) and found almost all the questions exactly same as those in OG 12 and verbal and quant reviews (due to which I scored a 760 😃 ). Does this happen in actual GMAT also? Those who have taken GMAT may be able to shed light on this.

Unfortunately there will be repeats. Aim to get as many questions right as possible still. On the other hand there are other test series such as the ones offered by ManhattanGMAT which you might want to consider.

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company: http://crackverbal.com
Hey Guys,

Tuhin here from Ahmedabad. Having done my engineering from IIT Roorkee am looking to prepare for GMAT this year. I will do most of my preparations online and will join the test series of GMAT coaching institute to keep me on my toes. Please tell me which is the best institute in India or forward me the link if one such discussion already exists.

Grateful
Tuhin

There are no "test series" like you have in CAT. The best bet is to take the GMATPrep from mba.com, the older PowerPrep softwares and then sign-up for any online tests such as the ones offered by ManhattanGMAT.

A Donkey and a rabbit were climbing a hill. Donkey ahead, rabbit following him. A screw pinched donkey's foot and donkey started to cry. Rabbit after trying for some time gave up and asked donkey to jerk his leg. He did so too hard such that the screw flew out of his leg and punctured rabbits head and he died. Moral of the story : If there's a donkey above you, there is a strong possibility that you'll be screwed for life.

But isn't it sad that still you have let a donkey lead you? How about being smart and taking the place of that donkey?

Arun
Thank you so much "nuttyvarun" for your valuable comment.

Actually the main issue I am facing is related to Work Experience..People around me tell me that I should have a minimum experience of 3 years to get into a good bschool in US and UK.. I already have one year of that,but I don't think I would want to wait for 2 more years..
Does this experience really matter that much in the application??

I started my GMAT prep by taking a GMAT preptest for fun the other day and got 680. Assuming I get a score around that in actual test and around 2 years of experience at the end of application procedure.. What do you think,are my odds of getting into a reputed b school then??

1. As the old saying says "It is not the years in your life but the life in your years that count" - so it is with work experience for the GMAT as well. Infact the more experience you have - harder will be it for you to justify your leadership. However it is easier said than done - you need to justify what you have done and why doing an MBA will help you.

2. 680 on GMATPrep is good (Im presuming that is what you took). Focus for another few weeks and book/take the test.

There are no odds/evens here - apply with your 100% and take it from there.

Arun
Hey,

Thanks for the prompt reply...that really does put things into perspective.

+M:ak

Over and above what nuttyvarun has mentioned I would suggest you take the CAT this year. There is no bigger way to hedge your risks than to get to one of the IIMs. It is absolute, unquestionable ROI that you should definitely consider. Especially considering your age and workexperience.

Arun

Read the preface of OG... the content in OG is based on retired GMAT questions.. so ideally you would NEVER see same question in OG & GMAT test..

the OG works as guide to the difficulty level and the question types.. its a must for everyone seriously pursuing good GMAT score ;)

Hi,

I just took a power prep test (the older version of GMAT prep) and found almost all the questions exactly same as those in OG 12 and verbal and quant reviews (due to which I scored a 760 😃 ). Does this happen in actual GMAT also? Those who have taken GMAT may be able to shed light on this.