GMAT DISASTER

6 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
hi Experts, i have given GMAT 4 times as if now and in complete disaster zone and need advice following are my stats , please suggest if anything can be done from here. GMAT 1st ATTEMPT- DATE 30- SEPT-2011 SCORE - 580- Q/V - 47/26 ...
Page 1 of 1
@Psychodementia said:
@abhinav_nagarSome points in random order. See if it makes sense to you.1. No where are you saying WHY you are making the mistakes. Perhaps you know more theory than ashish and I put together so there is no problem there. The problem is with your approach. What did you identify as the problem that stops you from hitting 40 on the real test.This is really the problem - the lack of analysis So now when you go back to the sheets can you look at some pattern? As an MBA this would be perhaps the first skill you will need to develop 2. Test scores are inflated for a few reasons. Firstly there is a finite pool of official questions (OG and GMATPrep) and test prep companies take these questions and disguise them into similar questions. So on the practice tests you end up seeing a question that you have solved but do not recognize. However on the real test the question is completely "new". Does it make sense? Secondly when you take it at home, the fact that the stress is reduced and you end up doing it less than perfect conditions (for example not using the GMAT scratchpad). Ofcourse I am assuming other "hygiene" factors such as that you took it along with AWA and IR, that you didn't take longer than normal breaks etc. 3. From a material perspective, don't touch anything apart from the official questions. So if you have done OG and Verbal Review, then just stick to the GMATPrep questions for your practice. After a point it is not about the number of questions you have solved but what you are able to learn from it. My advice is (going back to point #1 ) just do an analysis and priortize your preparation. Don't go firing all guilns. Instead take a step back and ask yourself "WHY"4. As Ashish pointed out, is it not possible for you to apply with 680? Anyone scoring 680 has the potential to score 700+ - it is just a question of getting everything together in the same attempt. Point here is who gave you this feedback that GMAT was low? If it is ISB then trust me even a 700 is not going to help your cause. So my advice is just go ahead with your highest score and apply.Arun
Hi Arun,

1: till 3rd attempt - I was scared of RC,CR, SC- Mainly relying on idioms

After that i took Score booster session and following were changes in approach:

RC- Emphasize on questions rather than passage
CR-Elimination and Negation
SC-Logic-SVA,Modifier, Parallelism,

After this my scored improved exponentially, not only my Mock scores were at another level, but my practice material accuracy was great RC-90+%,CR-95+%, SC-95+%

Mock Test- I didn't took any test at home , went to a coaching and followed GMAT D-DAY protocols

I was in a bit stressed some due to GMAT and some by other reasons and that can be the main issue.

680- Low score feedback by Kelley, but i think what they may be saying was 680 with my profile is not good enough.

I am not obsessed with GMAT , But I am obsessed for MBA from my dream schools, So i am also thinking of GRE as an option for next year , 5th attempt i can still go but it may hamper my profile, But again GMAT IS ALSO AN OPTION, I have applied to few schools with 680 only.

As if now i think I meed A BREAK AND REST from this 1.5 years of sleepless nights , 100's of words of essays , bag full of rejection mail and OFCOURSE GMAT CHERRY ON TOP.

After 4 rounds of defeat I am tired but not at all KNOCKED down , ............

As i said all GMAT, GRE, or 680 GMAT all are option , and I will look forward for your's and ashish's take on this

Thanks
Abhinav
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@abhinav_nagar

Some points in random order. See if it makes sense to you.

1. No where are you saying WHY you are making the mistakes. Perhaps you know more theory than ashish and I put together :mg: so there is no problem there. The problem is with your approach. What did you identify as the problem that stops you from hitting 40 on the real test.
This is really the problem - the lack of analysis 😞 So now when you go back to the sheets can you look at some pattern? As an MBA this would be perhaps the first skill you will need to develop :)

2. Test scores are inflated for a few reasons. Firstly there is a finite pool of official questions (OG and GMATPrep) and test prep companies take these questions and disguise them into similar questions. So on the practice tests you end up seeing a question that you have solved but do not recognize. However on the real test the question is completely "new". Does it make sense? :mg: Secondly when you take it at home, the fact that the stress is reduced and you end up doing it less than perfect conditions (for example not using the GMAT scratchpad). Ofcourse I am assuming other "hygiene" factors such as that you took it along with AWA and IR, that you didn't take longer than normal breaks etc.

3. From a material perspective, don't touch anything apart from the official questions. So if you have done OG and Verbal Review, then just stick to the GMATPrep questions for your practice. After a point it is not about the number of questions you have solved but what you are able to learn from it. My advice is (going back to point #1 :)) just do an analysis and priortize your preparation. Don't go firing all guns. Instead take a step back and ask yourself "WHY"

4. As Ashish pointed out, is it not possible for you to apply with 680? Anyone scoring 680 has the potential to score 700+ - it is just a question of getting everything together in the same attempt. Point here is who gave you this feedback that GMAT was low? If it is ISB then trust me even a 700 is not going to help your cause. So my advice is just go ahead with your highest score and apply.

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company: http://crackverbal.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@EducationAisle my aim is to get into MBA (top 20 US b schools) not GMAT and i am not obsessed with it, but as you correctly point out from the facts that as per feedback from last year by adcom my GMAT (680) was not good enough, someone today even suggested GRE to me but that i have start from scratch

But now i am having feeling of self doubt whether i can get a 700+ score or it's just 680 was my par score.

totally confused , i have already taken 2 coaching, every book and material is done from my side.

thanks
abhi
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@EducationAisle but don't you think even if i will get a 700+ it will not matter to adcom as it's in 5 attempts

Thanks
Abhinav
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@EducationAisle hi ashish ,
thanks for reply , i agree with the repeat thing , but i get this score consistently in all GMAT prep, 1,2 and old and new software (old one i didn't got much repeats),moreover i was getting 92% and above accuracy in all practice material in sc,rc,cr(above 95%).

But,having said that i can't assume i have all 4 bad days , and i get very less from what i expect from my mock and thus make me think really hard for next attempt as now i have to explain adcom for my last 2 attempts even after getting 680 and 5th attempt with another bad score is going to screw big time,

still no where to go ---------------

thanks
abhi
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hi Experts,

i have given GMAT 4 times as if now and in complete disaster zone and need advice following are my stats , please suggest if anything can be done from here.

GMAT 1st ATTEMPT- DATE 30- SEPT-2011

SCORE - 580- Q/V - 47/26

GMAT 2nd ATTEMPT - DATE 31 -OCT-2011

PREPARATION TESTS SCORE

GMAT PREP 1- 690 Q/V - 49/33
GMAT PREP 2- 730 Q/V-50/39

GMAT SCORE - 680 - Q/V - 49/32

AFTER THIS I APPLIED TO 8 B-SCHOOLS - KELLEY,OLIN,FISHER,SMEAL,OWEN
,ISB,RICE,USC MASHAL - GOT 3 INTERVIEW CALL- OLIN,FISHER,RICE - NO ADMIT FEEDBACK GOT FROM RICE AND OLIN - LOW GMAT AS COMPARED TO INDIAN IT POOL.

GMAT 2nd ATTEMPT - DATE 12 -AUG-2012

PREPARATION TESTS SCORE

GMAT PREP 1- Q/V - 700 -50/35
GMAT PREP 2- 730 Q/V-50/39

MGMAT SCORES - 680,690,690,700,710

GMAT SCORE - 660 - Q/V - 47/34 ----- I BY MISTAKE TOOK LONGER BRAKE BEFORE QUANT SO LOST 4 MINS AND DID EXAM IN 71 MINS

GMAT 4TH ATTEMPT - DATE 2 -NOV-2012

PREPARATION TESTS SCORE

GMAT PREP 1- 770 Q/V --50/45
GMAT PREP 2- 780 Q/V-50/46

CHANGED FEW STRATEGIES - WAS IMPROVED IN BOTH TIMING AND ACCURACY AND WAS CONFIDENT

GMAT SCORE - 630 - Q/V- 48.28

PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHAT TO DO I AM GUY WITH GOOD WILL POWER BUT NOW I AM LOST AGAINST THIS EXAM AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT , EXPERT PLEASE REPLY

THANKS
ABHI
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...