Gmat-710 (q-44; V-42; Awa: 5.5)

14 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
hi everyone.. :) i took my GMAT on Dec 10 and then got completely drowned in work. So sorry for the delay in this post. I got a 710 (Q-44, V-42, AWA-5.5) . I was expecting somewhere around 740, so I must say I am a tad disappointed :sad: . ...
Page 1 of 2
ajeesh.aj Says
depends on wch batch u wanna get into. the ideal time to apply is by the frst week the application forms are out.i am talking about mba abroad..about scholrship..dnt expct too mch..bt it depends on ur profile and score

Hi ajeesh,

The info was really useful.My aim is indian Bschools which accept GMAt - ISB/GLAKES .So if you have ant specific modifications in advice for the same kindly post it in future.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

depends on wch batch u wanna get into. the ideal time to apply is by the frst week the application forms are out.i am talking about mba abroad..about scholrship..dnt expct too mch..bt it depends on ur profile and score

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

HI shirpa,

Hearty congrats on scoring 710:thumbsup:.I have the following two queries regarding GMat.I had taken CAT last year and the result was not up to my expectation.

Starting afresh from now for GMAt with the CAT basics as Pre requisite how long do you think preparation is required?

Ideally when is the best time to take GMat if I am planning to use it for admission to some Indian B schools as well and some other global B schools?

Can you throw some light on scholarships available for doing an MBA in Us?

Take your time and awaiting your reply..
Thanks in Advance:D

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
ajeesh.aj Says
could you tell me on what basis percentile is given with your score.. batchwise or weekwise?

take a look at this link
The GMAT Scoring Scale

looks like, its the number of people who took the test between 2001 ane 2003. I suppose the stats must have been updated since then, and perhaps its the number of people who took the test from Jan 2001 till Dec 2006 or something similar. In any case, it is much larger than batchwise or weekwise.

Just check the sample size in your official GMAT report, you will get an idea how large it is 😃
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

could you tell me on what basis percentile is given with your score.. batchwise or weekwise?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hi Shipra,

i'm a Software Engineer with 2+ yrs of work ex, plannig to take GMAT aroung April - May this year. I havent started with my preparation yet. I have been going though the posts in this form for about a week's time.
i have heard that OG,Kalpan and Princeton are good resources to work on.i'm not able to zero down on the broader strategy to take up. i was wondering about what would be a better approach, devoting some time every day on atleast 2-3 sections in GMAT or get done with one round of prep of one section,say SC or quant...,before starting with the other.

thanks in advance :-)

Hi,

first of all, I am extremely sorry for the long delay in responding! No excuses... just apologies :)

I hope by now you have figured out the strategy, if you haven't then all I can say is different things work for different people. you must have read my strategy already, I did one book at a time. That means, I kind of studied all the 3 sections simultaneously but not all 3 on the same day. It was more like all 3 in 1 week, but 1 section in 2-3 days each. This way, I used to be able to devote enough time on every section, without actually getting out of touch from the others.

Of course I kept improvising as and when required. For instance when I got completely stumped by Probability, I devoted 2-3 days exclusively to probability, P & C and threw in some geometry as well. At that time I left all GMAT prep and did all the math from IMS material. Then at another time when I could not figure out some things in SC, I again left GMAT books for 2 days and just concentrated on Wren & Martin.

So I guess the best thing to do is pick up a strategy and if you dont feel confident or see any improvement in ur scores or learning curve, then improvise. But then again, thats just my opinion and I am no expert :)

Hope this helps and hope I am not too late.

Please feel free to ask further questions, I'll try my best to be more regular in replying back.

thanks & regards,
Shipra
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

congrats shipra..710 is not bad

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi Shipra,

i'm a Software Engineer with 2+ yrs of work ex, plannig to take GMAT aroung April - May this year. I havent started with my preparation yet. I have been going though the posts in this form for about a week's time.
i have heard that OG,Kalpan and Princeton are good resources to work on.i'm not able to zero down on the broader strategy to take up. i was wondering about what would be a better approach, devoting some time every day on atleast 2-3 sections in GMAT or get done with one round of prep of one section,say SC or quant...,before starting with the other.

thanks in advance 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi tarun,

Please find my replies inline..

hello shipra
similar to fringant, i m a novice here as well.
i just completed my 3rd sem of btech in computer science.

i wanted to know which is the best month to give the gmat exam. as u said u now have to rush to universities, in which month one should give gmat so that he/she can send his/her application comfortably.

I'd say the ideal time would be early october..since most Round I deadlines get over by Nov-end to Dec-end, and Round-II deadlines by Mar-end. So that gives you nearly 2 months to fill in the applications. Also, do some research on the univs prior to starting your prep, that'll save your time after GMAT.

another thing i wanna ask is that what else is required to get admisssion in an reputed university.
i mean i heard a lot of co-curricular activity certificates are required to seek admission in univs like oxford, stanford etc. can u tell me about this!!

well I am still going through the applications process myself, but that's what I've heard too 😃 But firstly, most universities require atleast 2 years of full-time work-ex after graduation. Since you are still studying, it might be worth it to strengthen your profile with extra-curricular activities in your college, and good acads, especially if you don't already have those.

The GMAT score is valid for 5 years, and you can take the test multiple times, with a gap of 31 days between 2 attempts, not exceeding 5 times in 1 year. The official GMAT score card shows the scores from all the attempts. While some univs consider your best score, others take the average.

you can find more information on mba.com and if u havent already, then do post on
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/introduce-yourself-25000006

will give you a good starting point on this unbelievably exhaustive forum! :)

Hope this helps,
Shipra
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hi..

please find my replies inline...

hi shipra
nice write up
i am a complete novice as far as gmat and foreign b school applications are considered..
here are a few queries??

1)i have been preparing for indian b school entrances this year,and generally i am pretty ok at logical reasoning and maths but it's grammar and vocab where i have to work a lot.. how much time do you think i need to give to gmat preps??

2)i have had a decent cat and snap,expecting a fair number of calls and giving fms,xat as well so would be caught up till jan end,will have to prepare for gd/pi as well..
Would it be poss for me to take the gmat in feb end,devoting just a month to preparations??time won't be a problem coz i am going to stop working after jan 31st.
say,if i take the gmat in feb last or march mid would i be able to apply to b schools in singapore and australia with my scores whose classes start in july..what other options could i look at??

looks like u hv a pretty packed schedule for the next couple of months. Though I took about 2.5 months on 3 hrs/day preparation, I do know people who got 700+ with 15 days of prep. So that really depends on how many fruitful hrs cn u put in a day (I'm not expert, but I guess u'd need about 6-8 hrs/day given ur not-so-gr8 verbal). With a decent CAT, XAT etc. experience, I think you could prepare in Feb and tk the test in the last week of feb, preferably around 25th Feb, so that even if you do need to tk it again, you cn schedule it for arnd 26 Mar, (u need a 31 days gap between 2 attempts), and still be able to submit your application by 29 Mar (the deadline for NUS, NTU, AIM and a few others as well for the Aug08 intake).

However, this does mean that you will have to keep your apps ready along with your GMAT preparations :)

Ofcourse you could make your life easier and prepare for Jan'09 instead :)

3)what would be the approximate total cost of taking the gmat and buying all the study materials for gmat??

GMAT costs abt. US $250, Kaplan premier (INR 1000), Official GMAT Guide-11 (INR 1800), Kaplan 800 (INR 500) and other books in the same range. (Ofcourse the costs could vary slightly with different bookstores and cities)

thanks in advance...

you can get all the GMAT info on the official site http://mba.com

Hope this helps,
Shipra
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...