GISMA MBA - Class of 2013 (Aug 2012 Intake)

45 Posts  ·  13 Users
About this group
Hello, Any applicants for the GISMA MBA - Class of 2013, i.e. August 2012 intake to be conducted in Hannover, Germany here? I'd like to get in touch with those who have been admitted/awaiting result/planning to apply. I had applied at t...
Page 1 of 5

@hramkhor

@GMAT_Conquer : ANY PLANS TO JOIN GISMA/ANY OTHER GERMAN COLLEGE THIS YEAR???

No,I may apply next year. You?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@[738149:GMAT_Conquer] : ANY PLANS TO JOIN GISMA/ANY OTHER GERMAN COLLEGE THIS YEAR???

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@hramkhor Hi, Well could be in the range of 5 odd years. I and another guy have 8-10 years of exp. Most of the others have 3-5 year range i believe.

I don't think so mate that experience will stop you from getting a job here. Come here with German proficiency say B1/B2 and you will be able to find jobs.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@amanforu : What is the average work-ex for the current batch of indian candidates? Are there people with just 3 years of work-ex? I heard the only high work ex people (6-7 years) are preferred by german recruiters and someone with 2-3 years of work ex has to struggle a lot. is it true?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@MBAgyan2012 : Hey, living costs would be cheaper as compared to other western European locations. So if you stay in a dorm like me costs would be around 200 odd euros p.m. apartment outside will cost about 400 euros. Insurance will cost about you about 50 euros per month, then your groceries, eating out could go from 150-250 odd euros, plus if you have any other recreational activities. travel can be taken care by GISMA using the yearly pass which will allow you unlimited travel in city zones atleast.

I have been interacting with not too many outside of GISMA honestly. But if you engage in some sports or other activities outside you can find connections here in Hannover. Indian communities, parties etc will provide you networking opportunities. Everyone has different outlook on what they do outside of studies, people like me like sports, some like travel, some like partying etc!

School is tied up with Purdue, so I am not sure if it can pursue rankings independently! Krannert school of management has a top 75 odd ranking in FT. Well effort is being made with there resources as I know to connect with community in Hannover and market the school globally.

let me know if this helps or you need any inputs from my end

regards,

aman
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@aman

What are the living costs in Hanover and how is the overall environment? Do you get to mix up with locals in any way? What are the different activities students engage in outside of class?

What is the school doing to get into global rankings? Do you think they are aggressive about building their brand?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@GMAT_Conquer Well career center here does help in going for career fairs, sharing alumni contacts, job postings, if that is what you were looking for? Its up to individuals how much they make use of it, I do, but haven't achieved success in my job search as yet I must admit.

Regards,

Aman
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@hramkhor here we go on your queries: 1) Well you will have to counter work permit issues like you would anywhere else to work outside of Germany or in Germany Opportunities would be there, but it all depends on your past exp, interests and connections to be precise.
2) job market is ok as I see, Europe is slowly coming off from recession it seems. At entry level you will find quite a few opportunities. lateral positions may not be so prominent.
3. VW is around and so are other automotive ancillaries like Continental. Past and current (executive) alumni have worked in these companies.
4. Recruiters again is a wrong term in European context as you don't have companies coming for placements like in India. Other companies where alumni have been working are engineering, IT. I know some alumni in India worked in wipro consulting, moved to mckinsey. Many would be going towards operations. Since there are more opportunities in ops then anything else.
5. Visa for studies should be easy. as long as you have complete documentation. You can extend resident permit for 18 months after studies by showing funds to search for jobs and learn German.

Hope this helps. feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have.

regards,
aman

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@amanforu I know European schools don't have placement funda..
I understand the role of Career Fairs and Networking .
But the role of School facilitated Career Services,especially for International students(who dont speak German) is also important.

How proactive/supportive has the Career Services team been?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@GMAT_Conquer :

Hi,

GISMA has been around for many many years now i must say, if my memory serves me right, it started in 1999. I would say in Lower Saxony (the state in which Hannover is located), GISMA has strong roots. Amongst all the major MBA schools in Germany, GISMA would be coming in top 3-4 as i see. Mannheim is a different beast altogether, it has a different industrial environment around it, its brand I would say stronger at the moment than GISMA. WHU is a good school too. ESMT i wouldn't rate that high.

See in Europe as I have seen you don't have concepts of placements. You get job postings, go to career fairs and network your way to find a job. Placement is an Indian term i must say:) Unfortunately don't have stats of % of international placements, though as I said without german its difficult to break the market here locally!

In Asia you will be competing against every other MBA from any school, so I don't see reputation of GISMA hampering your career prospects anywhere. You have Purdue tag too anyway:) Accreditation is helpful in case of rankings like with FT and also helps in terms of maintaining quality.

Alumni base beyond Germany is big I must say, we do have some regular alumni events. My class has no germans! executive class has probably most of the germans.

I hope I answered your questions to some degree of satisfaction. Let me know if you have any further queries.

regards,

Aman

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...