GD/PI/WAT discussions - BLACKIS, XLRI, FMS, MDI, IIFT, NITIE, CAP

62 Posts  ·  1,882 Users
About this group

The purpose of this group is to provide a platform for all people who have got calls or are expecting one from the above colleges. Though it is great to get calls, admissions are some way off yet and collaborating here will help people maximize their chances of success. I will also be writing selective posts here to help people prepare. 

Page 1 of 7

I see a lot of posts nowadays in four areas. Firstly, there are posts where people share their interview experiences and ask others as to whether they have chances or not. Secondly, there are people who post saying that their interviews have gone badly and they are not motivated for the future interviews. Thirdly, there are a lot of posts asking about composite scores for different B schools and speculating on their chances and those of others. Fourthly, there are rants about everything from selection criteria of B schools to how ineffective/random the panelists are to the ever favorite reservation/diversity issue.

While it is a free world and you can post whatever you feel like, I think the above do not really help B school aspirants in any manner. People having good calls need to focus on preparations and not on frittering away their time on negaive vibes or pointless ones. This is a long interview season and if you have got calls from a few B schools then you always have chances to convert a few. Do not let the disappointments of missing out on a few calls or an interview going badly affect the rest of your interviews. The top 3 IIMs are in a different level and IIML, FMS and XLRI are close behind. Leaving these aside, it does not matter too much where you get admitted within the next 15 colleges. So if you have got rejected in SP Jain or done badly in IIFT interview, there are still enough chances to redeem yourself this season. Do not get distracted by unproductive issues and focus on your preparations. Your job is to try your absolute best in ALL the interviews you have, the results are not in yoiur hands anyway :)

If you want any inputs from my side about your situation, feel free to send me a PM here and I will respond to you. My best wishes to everyone here in getting the best call converted this admission season

IIMC 1988, 15 years as CXO,  5 years in PG, Advised > 1000 aspirants, Actively mentored 100 +
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Are you having your interviews in March and April, have a few good calls and are not happy with the current preparations frm wherever you are doing it? If you are lacking confidence in converting your calls, I will be able to help you through my Mentoring Program for WAT/GD/PI preparation. 

Last year I mentored 57 people, all of who secured admissions to their aspired B schools. This year I am already mentoring 50 people and am looking to take on 10 more. While I am open to all calls IIMC, XLRI and FMS calls will be my preferred ones.

If you are interested send me a PM here with your full name, calls/dates and your WhatsApp number. I will get back to you and see how we can get you admitted to your dream B school :)

IIMC 1988, 15 years as CXO,  5 years in PG, Advised > 1000 aspirants, Actively mentored 100 +
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

What will be the FMS cutoff this year? Instead of blindly predicting it based on the last year, let us look at it logically. I am only going to do this for General candidates as I understand that situation the best. So, in simple terms, FMS has got 101 seats for Open category people and will call 10 times as many people for the next stage. 1000 people will thus be getting calls in the Open category.

Around 2.09 lac people took CAT 2019 so if you purely try to see the percentile of the 1000th person it will be approximately 99.52. However, this does not mean that people with lesser percentiles cannot get a call. Why is this so? Firstly, the first 1000 people are not all Open candidates. Secondly, the composite score has 40 % weight for VARC section and 30 % for the other two sections. So, if a person does really well in VARC ( let us say a scaled score of 60 plus ) then she will have a great chance even at lower percentile. Thirdly, women candidates are given 3 marks as a diversity bonus, so they can obviously get calls at much lower percentile too. 

Let us then do some actual calculations to see what this means. A scaled score of 170 was about 99.61 percentile this year and it should be normally enough to get through, right? Let us say the person had scaled scores of 50, 60 and 60 in the 3 sections. The composite score will be 56 and enough to get through the calling stage. What if he had a total of 160 and sectionals 40/60/60 ? He now gets 52 which is lower than last year cutoff. However, with sectionals of 50/50/60 he gets 53 which may just  be enough. In all these cases a woman candidate will get through easily. In fact if a woman scores 150 with 50/50/50, she will still end up with 53 and possibly make it.

What does all this mean? Well as VARC is tougher this year as compared to last year, it will be logical to assume that the cutoffs in all categories will be the same or a little lower this year. If we take it to be 53 then you will be able to reach the following conclusions about your chances :-

1. For male candidates, if your VARC score is 70 or above then you will be able to get a call with an overall scaled score of 153. For female candidates with VARC score of 70 plus, it is enough to get a scaled score of 143.

2. For male candidates, if your VARC score is 60 or above then you will be able to get a call with an overall scaled score of 157. For female candidates with VARC score of 60 plus, it is enough to get a scaled score of 147.

3. For male candidates, if your VARC score is 50 or above then you will be able to get a call with an overall scaled score of 160. For female candidates with VARC score of 50 plus, it is enough to get a scaled score of 150.

I could go on but by now you should be able to assess your chances quite well. This is of course only for the call, the final selection is a different ball game altogether. I will write about that in another post. In the meantime, if you have any queries about FMS ort want to enrol in my Mentoring Program for it, write to me with all your details. Last year 11 of my students were in the first Open list of FMS and I am hoping for a similar performance this year too :)

2 likes
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Announcing a ligher version of my flagship Mentoring Program, now that 50 people have been enrolled in the original one. In this program you will get all benefits of the earlier program, albeit in a lesser time frame as we are getting to the third week of February now. The upfront fees are half now and the success fees too are 33 % less than the original fees. This will be ideal for people who have taken one or two interviews and have not done well in them. If you have a few interviews scheduled for March, reach out to me with a message stating your full name, calls/dates and your WhatsApp number.

If you are having only one significant call then the upfront fees can be even lower for it, success fees will be the same. I am keen to mentor people for IIMC and XLRI, though other colleges are fine too. The maximum number I can take up is 10, so if you are interested do get back to me quickly.

I will have a separate program for FMS but that is different from the one I have written in this post.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am happy to share two pieces of information here. Firstly, I have achieved the taget I had set myself for mentoring the number of students in mt regular flagship program. I had planned for 50 and this is done. Secondly, the B school interview season for my Mentoring program students have started rather well - 10 people had got SP Jain calls and all of them could go to round 2. IIFT, CAP, IIMC   and IIML interviews have started off rather well too.

Last year all 57 people I worked with got admission to the best B schools possible, according to their calls. This year too I am expecting the same. If you have your interviews in March, you can still look at joining my program. I can only take on a few people now so you need to write to me quickly with your full name, calls/dates and WhatsApp number.

1 comment
ShubhamChaturvedi
@ShubhamChaturvedi  ·  0 karma

Shubham Chaturvedi , iim rohtak-2nd march , iit Roorkee -1st march , 7905090678

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Preparations including mentoring or other forms of coaching can prepare you for the event but you also need to think on your feet during the actual interview process. For example, if the interview is heavy on your graduation subject and you do not remember much, point out that you have been working for XX years and are therefore familiar with a few areas only. Most of you are bang in the middle of your interviews, some have nearly finished, a few have not yet started. If you cannot answer some questions on general awareness it is not a tragedy. Obviously, you need to answer more than you miss 🙂 Some of you have written to me about stress interviews. Firstly it is quite rare and secondly, even if it happens, the panel is mostly keen to observe how you react, rather than your actual answers. So do not get flustered and answer the best you can. Important to give the impression that you are not hassled. Whatever your context now, it is important to be prepared for any situation in the remaining interviews. Some may be random and ask questions contrary to your expectations. You need to assess the interview as it is happening and react accordingly. All the best for the interviews this week and beyond. Feel free to reach out to me for any inputs should you think it can help. Finally, these interviews are occasions that teach you a lot. So be confident and enjoy the experience.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

It was a great experience to be part of the IIMC Hyderabad panel yesterday. Though this was the eighth year I am part of this in Hyderabad, every year I get to learn a lot from both the panel members as well as the candidates.

Out of the 20 people my panel interviewed 19 were Engineers, only 5 were from the Open category and the afternoon half were full of PwD candidates. It was a little sad to see that the Graduation subject knowledge of most people were not at a level which is desirable and some were downright poor, even coming from such exalted places as IIT Kanpur etc. The good thing was that most people had really nice hobbies from professional dancing to stock market trading and even professional Gaming. On the whole the interviews went off well, though as a panel we were not really spoilt for choice :)

Hyderabad is the first IIMC location and the caravan will keep moving to other places now. I am looking forward to seeing how my people do in their chance. If you have an IIMC call and want some help in WAT/PI preparations to maximize your chances, feel free to reach out to me here. Make sure you mention your full name, calls/dates and WhatsApp number.

2 likes4 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 4
AJ_1996
@AJ_1996  ·  39 karma

@rajshekhar_roy There is no doubt or flaw, what so ever in the argument you have stated above. However, drawing a similar parallel, can a judge at a high court also run a business where he/his firm provides legal consultancy services and also an insight on how to present the case but the catch here is the client has his litigations/claims/suit in other high courts and not the court where the judge directly benches? Barring all this, I truly respect the industry experience you possess and an extensive knowledge of the legal framework, knowing the fact that you probably have more experience than my age.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
rajshekhar_roy
@rajshekhar_roy  ·  837 karma

@AJ_1996 the two situations are completely different. If I was formally part of IiMC then there will be a conflict of interest. Here I do not have any real influence at all, even in deciding the final rating. The alumni presence is not even mandatory, it is only a desirable one. The ratings are by consensus and no one in the panel ( even the professors ) know anything about the final selection. So if you really understand the situation you will see why the conflict of interest does not arise at all. Criticism or concern is great but it must be based on solid ground. As I said your analogy is an incorrect one.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi everyone !!

I am a current student at NITIE Mumbai. I am writing this post to help you make an informed decision. Here are some pros and cons of joining NITIE !!

Pros: 

1. Awesome placements in operations and supply chain field.

2. A very strong alumni network in the supply chain and operations field. This helps to easily switch to other companies in respective domains.

3. A very relaxed college life. (you would feel even more relaxed than your BTech institute, although I don't know if you would want to consider it as one of the pros since you are investing lacs of rupees and would want some value addition over your stay of 2 years, altough it also gives you freedom to participate in other value adding activites). 

Cons:

1. Almost next to nil roles of finance, marketing, strategy consulting. Don't be fooled by the placement report. Domain and roles are very different things (people get operations roles in banks which are mentioned as roles in finance domain in placement report). Even consulting roles are operations and supply chain focused, so don't expect to get any advantage through NITIE for getting into strategy or management consulting roles. IT management roles are also operations and supply chain oriented, don't think you would get IT product management roles easily from here. 

2. Improper hostel facilities. Its been almost one year and 1st year students haven't even received proper wifi in their hostel rooms. Lifts break down every now and then (Imagine a hostel with 16 floors, about 1000 people and only 4 lifts out of which 1 or 2 are not functional some time). 

3.  Many of the professors are pathetic. Its a common fact known to every student in NITIE that exam copies are not checked by most of the professors and sometimes totally random grades are alloted to students. Some much of cheating is prevalent during examinations that you would feel at loss if you didn't hone your cheating skills dring your btech days or childhood. 

4. There is also an PGDIE batch which get into NITE through GATE. Although, I don't have anything against them, the total batch to be placed gets pretty huge. Altough many a times you would see them mentioning MBA in their linkedin profiles (which is totally a wrong practice since their's is a Mtech equivalent course). 

5. There is a lot of regionalism in the institute. There are different closed groups of marathi, bengali, gujarati, north indian, south indian people. During placements and other events, favourism is prevelant due to these groups. I was also added in one such group by senior batch people and this all is passed on year on year.

6. The atmosphere of institute (even students) if of low ethics (there is prevalent corruption in student funds by different committees). 

Some added gyaan:

1. Please try to contact a trusted source (eg, a friend already studying in the institute) to get information about any bschool. Admission committee members are taught to lie.  

2. Some of these issues are present in many different top bschools. 

3. Average packages in placement reports of all bschools include very high one time payments, effective in hand salary is about Rs 90000-120000 after passing out from NITIE. This figure will also be true for many other top bschools- IIM I, IIMK, MDI etc). 

4. Don't think NITIE is equivalent to ABC in supply chain. Its just that most people from ABC don't want to get into supply chain roles.  

PS: People from NITE might come to the bchool's defence but believe me they don't want to get the institute's image degraded since it might affect placement. This is the sole reason why most of these issues are not revealed.

4 likes
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

https://m.economictimes.com/jobs/average-salary-at-record-rs-28-lakh-in-iim-calcutta-final-placements/articleshow/74095472.cms iIM C continues to set new standards. Not a surprise at all, in fact I am now used to expecting it every year. It is also the IIM with fairest admission policies :)

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I see a lot of publicly available posts in Quora and even here which state that the panelists can make or break the fortunes of a call getter. While this is technically true, you will do well to understand that the panelists do not do it on any random basis, there is some well thought out theme that they follow. Also, there is a lot of fake posts on Quora, Facebook and other places so do take heed of any such posts with a fistful of salt :)

Let me try to give you three examples of where the panelists did create a make or breal situation for the aspirant. Before that understand this well - there will be about 10 people for each panel in each session. The panel will at most like 2 people who they want to get selected and at most dislike 2 people who they do not want to get selected. For the rest of the people ( normally 6-8 ) it will be business as usual. The three examples below are over the past 3 years.

1. One girl who was very good in every respect was asked to name some famous places in MP. She had done well in the interview and this was the final question. Her answer was, "who knows about MP?" and she followed up by saying that she only knew about states and places which were worth visiting. The panel had a long discussion on this and decided that their institution could not take her.

2. A guy had a very high CAT score and reasonably good credentials from his academics. He was also pretty well prepared for the interview. When asked about his thoughts on why diversity was important for a B school, he countered that it was clearly unnecessary and B schools needed to be more discerning about such things. The panel gave him 2-3 chances to take a more balanced view but he remained adamant. The panel was unanimous about not taking him.

3. This girl was from reserved quota, though her profile and CAT score were quite good. The panel started by being ambivalent but when questions were asked on budget, economics and her branch Computer Science, she proved to be quite brilliant with her answers. The alumnus in the panel was from Microsoft R & D and she was able to handle all his questions rather well. The choice in her case was unanimous. Happy ending - she now works in Microsoft US.

One line maxim for cracking the top IIM and other B school interviews is this - Be humble and not arrogant, show substance and not attitude :) Feel free to get back to me if you want some inputs on your interview in IIM ABCL, XLRI etc.

4 likes
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...