FPM@IIMS anyone??

6 Posts  ·  5 Users
About this group
Hello pgians or pgites! Am new to this forum-this is my first post (been reading posts for last 2 months though :smiley: )Its gr8 to see a great sense of bonding among PG members-sharing of critical info on CAT and other mgmt tests.In these d...
Page 1 of 1

People Plz poll on the following thread...if u've also converted/waitlisted XLRI

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/poll-for-xlri-25007956

It'd be a great help.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
First ask yourself a question why do you want to a FPM/Doctoral Program!
Is it that you did not get a job and so you are applying for FPM.... or your current job is not paying much....
Brother please note that Doctoral work is a lot different from normal course work. You need to have a clear mind on what you want to do. Only IIMA FPMs get good jobs in the industry, others get good academic positions. So it is very clear at this point that if you cant get into industry then be ready for an academic position! You should be ready for complete dedication for 4 to 5 years of your life.
Best of Luck.

Hi read the post after a long time.super_i_man...dude..I sure know what the FPM program is all about and want to try for it because I want to pursue a career in academics and teaching and not because I dont have a decent job!!I am in a decent job now and with some workex am planning to cat 05, by which time Iwill have around 1.5 yrs workex.This is not a rebuttal...so dont take offense.If u go to the GMAT thread,I have posted the reasons for doing a PhD 😃 .

cheers

venkat

The FPM is designed for a career in academia and management research. FPMs should end up great at analysing macro issues across various industries and businesses. This means they are more or less not expected to be interested in day to day operational activities of organizations.
I think over 90%+ doctorates of management in business work end up in academia which is also a great business mind you! They can continue working on big picture research along with a job that involves interacting with some of the best brains in the world as students.
The 4-5 year committment is a killer and ends up as a deterrent to someone mid way in deciding whether to go for it. Those 4-5 years of living with an existential salary is not everyone's cup of tea!
I think a few FPMs land up as profs in foreign business schools but probably only the ones from A,B,C.

K

First ask yourself a question why do you want to a FPM/Doctoral Program!
Is it that you did not get a job and so you are applying for FPM.... or your current job is not paying much....
Brother please note that Doctoral work is a lot different from normal course work. You need to have a clear mind on what you want to do. Only IIMA FPMs get good jobs in the industry, others get good academic positions. So it is very clear at this point that if you cant get into industry then be ready for an academic position! You should be ready for complete dedication for 4 to 5 years of your life.
Best of Luck.

There are a couple of FPM aspirants on the forum.. You can search the forum using FPM as the keyword at http://pagalguy.com/cat/search.php

Command like a king, work like a slave.

Hello pgians or pgites!
Am new to this forum-this is my first post (been reading posts for last 2 months though 😃 )Its gr8 to see a great sense of bonding among PG members-sharing of critical info on CAT and other mgmt tests.In these days of cut-throat competition this is refreshing.
I am a BE(E&E;) and have completed my MBA(full-time)from the dept. of mgmt studies univ of madras.I wrote cat 2k3 and got a intw call from IIMC for their FPM programme but messed up the intw big time :oops:
I am planning to take cat again
Anyone else around applying for FPM of IIMS? If Any one from PG got admn to FPM pls post your experience.
My area was Operations management.My BE acads r bad and MBA acads decent.
I want to be an academic.Am I aiming for the sky?is it ok to have a bad BE and still try for FPM of IIMS?
please Pour in your views-all pg junta

cheers
venkat