Fisher 2007 : Interviews & Admissions

239 Posts  ·  29 Users
About this group
Hi Guys, Has anyone applied to the Fisher MBA program in Round 1 and if so have you guys heard anything back... Lets get the Fisher thread started and rolling... Cheers Sumit
Page 1 of 24
Hey Buckeyes,

So howz everyone doin? Its been a long time since someone posted up here (apart from that immigration stuff which has been talking rounds in almost all the forums:) ). I guess most of you would have made your decision on whether to attend to Fisher or not. Well, as of now, I guess we have received the Admit package, access to admitted student gateway and our financial documents. I have scheduled my visa interview for May 31st. I am still waiting for a decision from MIT on a 1 year program, shud get it by today or monday. If that doesnt come thru, its Fisher for sure. Guyz, do post up on whats happenin with your decisions and your visa preps also.

Cheers
Sid

hey all,

Me finalized on OSU. I have paid all the fees for F1 visa and in the progress of filling the visa forms and scheduling the interview.

C U @ Fisher

Just quoting thee admitted students gateway link for Fisher here... I had misplaced this and took me a loong time to find it again
Accepted Student Profile Login >
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey Buckeyes,

So howz everyone doin? Its been a long time since someone posted up here (apart from that immigration stuff which has been talking rounds in almost all the forums:) ). I guess most of you would have made your decision on whether to attend to Fisher or not. Well, as of now, I guess we have received the Admit package, access to admitted student gateway and our financial documents. I have scheduled my visa interview for May 31st. I am still waiting for a decision from MIT on a 1 year program, shud get it by today or monday. If that doesnt come thru, its Fisher for sure. Guyz, do post up on whats happenin with your decisions and your visa preps also.

Cheers
Sid

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

A useful article ... which talks about the Hagel bill ...and its positive points !!!

Laws to hike H-1B cap introduced in US-Visa Power-Travel-Services-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

petermba, arent you jumping the gun here?? the motion hasnt been passed yet and i doubt it ever will. There are far far too many non-US citizens in the US for the US to not get affected. The UK tried a similar thing and had to roll it back for the time being. Clearly, there is no point speculating until something concrete happens.

Speculation is one thing that we try to avoid at PG.It leads to rumours and unnecessary heartburn among students. Therefore, Until and Unless, this motion gets passed, I'm requesting that any discussion on this topic be put on hold. Anyone posting on this topic will unfortunately be given a warning and/or suspended.

Cheerio folks have a nice day and ATB to those who made it
Neo

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

To everyone who has decided to study at Fisher -

Congratulations on your decision. Fisher is a great school and everyone with whom I have communicated there has been wonderful to me.

I am sure that if you all make the best of the opportunities provided to you, you will come out on top! Even if the going gets tough.

Work hard and be unafraid to shoot for your dreams. Do your best, life will do the rest!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

started a new thread in the main forum

but the moderator keeps rejecting it

so here i am again

BIG problem for H1bs

read on at ImmigrationVoice.org - Home
Administrator2 vbmenu_register("postmenu_56348", true);
Super Moderator

Forget Green card, even H-1 renewal will be impossible
Green card is for convenience H-1B status is for survival!!!!

As you already know that anti-H1B lobby has introduced a bill that is designed to put most H-1B dependent employers out of business and most H-1B employees out of the country. This bill is designed to slow bleed H-1B program and systematically purge H-1B employees from the country.

If we cannot stay in the US on H-1, then there is no possibility of a green card.
Details of the discriminatory and impractical Senate bill
Here is the link to bill summary:
http://immigrationvoice.org/media/fo...ysis_S1035.pdf
Please see section 2(e) and section 2(f)

Here is the link to bill test:
http://immigrationvoice.org/media/fo...ssley_bill.pdf

The original intent of Senate bill S.1035 seems to be to put in checks and balances on H-1B and L-1 program, with inclusion of some good provisions to empower H-1B/L-1 employees. Immigration Voice supports provisions to empower H-1B/L-1 employees. However, S.1035 is discriminatory against H-1B employees and H-1B dependent employers. The bill is designed to render H-1B program useless and impractical to follow. As an example: Even after going through the process of making sure that no able, qualified and willing person in US is available to do the specific job, the best and the brightest H-1B employees will not be allowed to do any Consulting!!!!

Further, US business will not be bale to have more than 50% of their employees on H-1B. Some of these companies to very specialized research, development and consulting work. In effect, Senate bill S.1035 is forcing the companies manufacturing baby soap, tissue paper etc to drop their core competency to become experts in the sectors/areas where consultants provide their expertise to assist companies to successes.

This discriminatory bill will have following effects:

1.) This bill will hurt all sectors of the US economy, directly and indirectly.

2.) In the short term, most H-1B employees (including medical doctors, research scientist, IT engineers and other highly skilled immigrants) providing consulting services will have to leave the country, thereby taking all the institutional knowledge to other countries.

3.) In the long term, the bill is designed to promote outsourcing as most employers will be left with no other option but to look outside to find much needed human capital and talent. So this bill hurts competitiveness and is bad for US innovation and economy.

Timeline and Urgency of this massive issue
This bill is a VERY REAL threat. It is designed to be made part of the compressive immigration reform bill (CIR). We have learnt that CIR is on the US Senate schedule for the last two weeks of May and, in the House schedule for the month of July. So if we do not educate the lawmakers about this very real threat to the core concept of competitiveness and innovation, this discriminatory bill could become law as early as August of this year.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Well, as nitin says, i guess it would be wise to discuss this topic as a new thread rather than just attributing or infact, limiting the visa problems to the state of Ohio and especially to Fisher grads!!

Btw, to move away from this discussion, I wanted to know if any of you admits have received the admit package / I-20 documents from Fisher? I had sent in my financial docs and guess my I-20 is on its way since my review has been complete. But, there is no sign of this admit package coming here. I only seem to get mails from the adcom asking whether i received the package. Also, did any of you get the details about the admitted students gateway?

Cheers
Sid

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am not getting why we are discussing this very much generalised topic here at Fisher tread trying to create an unnecessary chaos among Fisher admits.
This visa cap thing is a problem faced by every company whether Indian or MNC who wants to send its employees to US or recruit non native americans in US. If this is of so much concern than going to Harvard and Stanford also is not going to alleviate this risk of yours. Keep your nerves cool guys. Fisher is very good program and I personally know couple of Indian alumni there and whatever they told me really goes well with Fisher's reputation.

I know most of you guys knows more than me and quiet learned but still i want to make it to a point that Visa cap is something which US decide on number of Indian skilled workers permitted to work in US. Ohio is a part of US and bound to all US policies. Ohio can't make it own laws. If you guys want to discuss this important topic (I am not against discussing this but the platform is not appropiate), please create a separate thread so that others can also contribute and learn from it.

Thanks,
Nitin

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi guys
Give a serious thought to what Petermba is saying. Just yesterdAY there was a news on front page in times of india , regarding capping of H1 visas to 68000. And they recieved 150000 applications for the same.The visas would be issued by lucky draw.
Manish

very true dude, going without a massive schol is taking a gamble
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi guys
Give a serious thought to what Petermba is saying. Just yesterdAY there was a news on front page in times of india , regarding capping of H1 visas to 68000. And they recieved 150000 applications for the same.The visas would be issued by lucky draw.
Manish

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...