Extra-curricular..extra or not?

7 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
One of the things that i don't understand about applying foreign b-schools is the way those guys analyze the extra-curricular activities. Though, i understand why they are emphasizing in EC activities, i have little idea as to how they judge if it...
Page 1 of 1

Hello Puys,
I'm looking at an MBA Abroad some two or three years in the future.
But I'm in a dilemma weather my foreign languages' knowledge can be accounted for as an Extra-Curricular. I have a good level of knowledge in German, Japanese & Spanish.

Your inputs are most required ...........

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

I Have a passion for teaching...
i am assiciated with an NGO, i teach under priveldge children.

I am doing this for the past 1.5 years.

My dream is an Institution that would shape career of children who cannot afford quality education, who have a desire to excel.

Apart from my CAT/SNAP score, will I have any weightage to this?

Extra-curriculars do convey a certain well roundedness to any personality, and assure adcomms that you did have a life beyond work. However, doing some activity just to "improve" your profile instead of genuine interest in your part will show through clearly. Remember, b-schools want you to be recruitable and marketable to employers! That's the over-riding concern. So if you have great professional achievements and have made good progress in your career - don't sweat too much about lack of extra-curriculars. If you have the EC's take it as nothing more than a little bonus.

I'm not sure if they are looking for a diplomat but faking can SURELY land anyone in trouble.

Most good B-schools have background verification with which they cross-check the facts (Only those facts that formed the inputs for the decision to admit). Also, it is the same reason they give high weightage to professional achievements (that are easily verifiable) than to EC activities.

There have been cases over last decade when students/even graduates were terminated or stripped off their degrees for faking app data. So I guess 99% applicants would take extreme efforts to keep the app genuine.

Only if a particular info needs verification, the B-school will contact the applicant to help in verification process.

bharat_jhurani Says
Agree wid u dude.. the EC genuity is always debatable... Nd even possessing a certi or somethin does not validate it... 4get foreign schools, even indian compnaies coming 2 hire at campuses take a lot of interest in it, nd those who can act well r thru...

thanks for the reply.
so they are looking for a good diplomat. 😃
techece Says
emphasizing in EC activities, i have little idea as to how they judge if it is fake or not. For example, i was playing for my college volley ball team. There is no proof for that because we never won a championship :(. So, how do i prove it?

Agree wid u dude.. the EC genuity is always debatable... Nd even possessing a certi or somethin does not validate it... 4get foreign schools, even indian compnaies coming 2 hire at campuses take a lot of interest in it, nd those who can act well r thru...

One of the things that i don't understand about applying foreign b-schools is the way those guys analyze the extra-curricular activities. Though, i understand why they are emphasizing in EC activities, i have little idea as to how they judge if it is fake or not. For example, i was playing for my college volley ball team. There is no proof for that because we never won a championship :(. So, how do i prove it? Do they evaluate the facts presented in the application based on materialistic proofs or they judge the validity based on the experience or they mix physchometric tests in the interview.
The understanding is important because if it is easy to fake i would add captaining the team. But. if they require materialistic proofs, then i am in trouble.