[Experiences & Discussions] The six stages of B-school adulation

3 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
Is MBA an overrated degree? Do I need an MBA? Cant I gather the same skills at the job itself? Is it just for the brand-value? Chucking my well paying job to go for MBA, will it be worth it? Am I going for it just because it is in vogue?...
Page 1 of 1

Is MBA an overrated degree?This is tricky. Most people who have been there and done that will say it is not overrated. Outside that the opinion will differ. In my not so humble opinion, I feel here in India, it is highly overrated. Only 10% of the junta or even less go for MBAs because they really need it. The rest jump into it cause that is what everyone around them is doing the same thing or someone in the family wants them to do it, or just for the heck of doing a PG course. Do I need an MBA?A BIG NO for me. The rest, try and write down 5 valid reasons you want to go for an MBA. If you are able to jot down all 5 reasons and think that an MBA is the only solution out, then go ahead. Cant I gather the same skills at the job itself?Yes, definitely. It was not until I was made a team lead did I know how tough it is to handle people. And my team strength was only 4. I could imagine the plight of managers who sometimes have 50 or 60 people under them. And what I learnt from that experience is that no MBA is gonna teach me in a classroom how to manage people with different interests, aspirations, goals etc. You are never going to come out of an ivy league college with the solution to all problems in hand. The real learning starts only when you are thrown into the ring. Thanks to my prior experience, I was in a better position to lead a team when I got a chance soon after and I got good results. Is it just for the brand-value?Brand value + money. 99.9 % of the people who fart about career goals, ambitions and aspirations in a PI are just trying to dupe their way in. What they are really after is money, money and more money. Chucking my well paying job to go for MBA, will it be worth it?My job ain't well paying but it pays me enough. I am also frustrated in here, but I don't see an MBA as a solution to that problem. Can't be. The reason for my frustration is different and that will be tackled in an appropriate way. Am I going for it just because it is in vogue?Yes, most people go for it for the precise reason. As far as I am concerned I am not going for it anytime soon, not until I really feel the need for it and I feel that it is going to add some real value to my career. Right now it doesn't fit in. Going for an MBA just because I want to jump from IT into another field sounds stupid. That should never be the reason for going for an MBA. Cheers.. PS - I don't know why my post looks like this. I tried formatting but it is not working for some reason. Mods may please help.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Do I need an MBA?

Depends. Also the question can have sub questions
1. Do I need a ivy league MBA?
2. Do I need a foreign MBA?
3. Do I need a IIM MBA?
4. Do I need a top Indian B school MBA?
5. Do I need a full time MBA?
Each of these has varying degrees of utility and need separate answering. As far as the hard learning goes, yes it is needed. But one can self learn from books. Soft learning is a different issue. Being on campus offers a different soft learning. International B school offers cross cultural experience. Ivy league offers interaction with achievers in different fields. IIM MBA offers interaction with some of the smartest kids in India. Top Indian B School gives chance to interact with some of the most qualified professors, though probably not as good as the ones in ivy school.

Cant I gather the same skills at the job itself?

Every skill has more than one way of gathering. Some can be gathered in office. Some can not. Some one in a core IT job and not working in finance domain has little chance of knowing the intricacies of Finance ever in his job. Your never going to meet the people with varied skill sets or cultures that you will meet in an international B Schools at your job. You might learn lot of how to do at the job without the why part which a B school prof may teach you.

Is it just for the brand-value?

Thats the biggest part. All companies want best guys. They don't have time for rigorous selection process involving a large portion of country's population. So they have no cribs if B Schools do that for them.

Chucking my well paying job to go for MBA, will it be worth it?

Depends on what is your profile and how much your paid and what you want to do after MBA. Can't answer something generic like this

Am I going for it just because it is in vogue?

Is it bad to do something is in vogue? Most things people do is because it is in vogue. Isn't that what culture is all about? Whatever is in vogue at that point of time at that location.

http://luciferhouseinc.blogspot.in/

Is MBA an overrated degree?
Do I need an MBA?
Cant I gather the same skills at the job itself?
Is it just for the brand-value?
Chucking my well paying job to go for MBA, will it be worth it?
Am I going for it just because it is in vogue?

Scores of such questions dwell in the minds of MBA aspirants.

you must have already read chuck's observations

The Six Stages of B-schooler Adulation | PaGaLGuY.com - India's biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT

Calling all MBA grads and the "confirmed Non-MBAs" who are now into the industry to enlighten junta with their insight and experience on MBA - the coveted degree.

Please remember, your opinion counts 😃

MBA, B.Tech, CAIIB