Eller / Thunderbird / Sauder / Alberta ?

17 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
Hi Puys. My profile :- Indian Male/GMAT-640/6.0AWA/TOEFL-109/6yrs. IT ( 3.5 yrs. in U.S.A. for Fortune 5 client, good Project Mgmt. and Team Leadership exp. too) As the title of my post says, I have admits from :- 1\. Thunderbird ( 25%...
Page 1 of 2

Hey Superguy619 (619 Ray Mesterio?)

Nice Username, (at 710 GMAT you deserve to be a superguy :P) Thanks for your comments.

well my essays are just like my posts, humongous (had to search online dictionary for meaning) and basically lack an underlying theme.....so its rejects so far :)

anyways let me know which schools are at your crosshairs

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@ Ayonde : hilariously interesting man...u definitely have some humorous ( or humongous!!) way of writing FACTS (which makes it imteresting though)..when u get thru some univ, forward me ur essays..would love to read them!!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi....i've 4+yrs wrk ex/Real Estate-Project Management/590 GMAT/5.5 AWA/TOEFL score awaited....do i stand a chance of getting in T-Bird? Im confident abt d interview part as I stand out frm d rest as far as the work profile is considered.......pls advise. I'll be applying for fall 2011 batch.

Regards,

You are right, I too applied at COX and Kelley, As i think that my work ex is very different than most IT - 9 to 5 desk job work ex (no offense) but yes at 610 GMAT , i needed an olympic gold or a black belt in karate or something to stand out!

I checked the Purdue thread too, people say that their admission commitee takes ages to reply.

About the budget thing, Suppose you get an admit at Harvard with no scholarship and an admit at Alberta with 100% scholarship, which one would you join?

Perform regression analysis and keep money as constant, then see the schools you wanna join. IESE is rated in top 10 in FT, top 5 outside US by Business Week, top 5 by QS, top by Eduniversal.
Also from whatever information I have gathered, EU colleges love work ex more than GMAT, try Manchester Bussiness School too, fill in their pre profile evaluation.

US schools are more into improve their rankings, they tend to increase their GMAT scores by 10 units on YoY basis (my assumptions no prove available), so they use Indian in particular as Statistics Building measures..... read my another pessimistic post at Vlerick thread.

With a good Work ex + 640 GMAT, you should make it to many EU schools, Cranfield, MBS, IESE, ESADE etc to name a few (anyway better than Alberta / Sauder if you ask me)

Hope it Helps
Ayon
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I didnt apply to Tbird, My research reveals that few colleges are tad bit easier to get in e.g. T-bird / Schulich etc. but T-bird will give you 25% school above 630 GMAT, and 50% schol above 700 GMAT, 75% schol above 750 GMAT.

at 610, I dont wanna empty my dad's PF account and mortgage our home to go to T-bird, and at mere 3 years of work ex, employement post MBA would be tad bit tough.

Also its quite a task to convince white causcasians that Hardcore Telecomm (I install mobile networks across states in India) is different from IT and IT - Telecomm software testing etc.

about IESE/ other EU schools, open any ranking site or their official site, they have a very impressive career statistics.

@your profile, i dont really know, Statistic wise you seem pretty well placed
Work ex > 6 - Check
GMAT 640 in mid 80% range - Check
International work ex - Check
Managerial Experience - Check (must be)

just dont screw up your essays, which i am sure no one does. try this year, write an email to them, you will be able to judge from their keeness in you. otherwise try next year :)

It seems that we are the only 2 persons replying to this post. However there were 80+ views i guess......people dont really jump in with their 2 cents i guess

anyways, time for dinner
Ayon

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Did you apply to TBird ? As you said that you have an un-conventional profile, you should be good to get into it.

I will try and look at IESE and fill their profile assessment to see if I fit and they still have seats. As far as U.K. is concerned, not interested. Reason is that I want to work abroad for some time to pay back the loan and U.K. is last or not at all on my list. Where do IESE/ESADE students get jobs by the way ? Do you genuinely think I have a good profile to fit in ? Did your friend had something extra in his/her profiel to make it to IESE ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

You are right, I too applied at COX and Kelley, As i think that my work ex is very different than most IT - 9 to 5 desk job work ex (no offense) but yes at 610 GMAT , i needed an olympic gold or a black belt in karate or something to stand out!

I checked the Purdue thread too, people say that their admission commitee takes ages to reply.

About the budget thing, Suppose you get an admit at Harvard with no scholarship and an admit at Alberta with 100% scholarship, which one would you join?

Perform regression analysis and keep money as constant, then see the schools you wanna join. IESE is rated in top 10 in FT, top 5 outside US by Business Week, top 5 by QS, top by Eduniversal.
Also from whatever information I have gathered, EU colleges love work ex more than GMAT, try Manchester Bussiness School too, fill in their pre profile evaluation.

US schools are more into improve their rankings, they tend to increase their GMAT scores by 10 units on YoY basis (my assumptions no prove available), so they use Indian in particular as Statistics Building measures..... read my another pessimistic post at Vlerick thread.

With a good Work ex + 640 GMAT, you should make it to many EU schools, Cranfield, MBS, IESE, ESADE etc to name a few (anyway better than Alberta / Sauder if you ask me)

Hope it Helps
Ayon

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey Ayon.

Honestly, there wasn't any specific motive. I applied to UC Irvine, SMU COX and Kelly too but got rejected ( too much emphasis on GMAT, I wonder why they write that we look at the whole application. I wonder where my application was wrong apart from GMAT ). Still waiting on Purdue (Krannert) but don't know when it will come.

The motive was to study in U.S. ( quality education ) or Canada and look for schools in reasonable budget but still provide quality education and accept my profile ( basically FT100 ). Never put Europe on radar and I don't know why I didn't. May the post-MBA job scenario was the reason or less knowledge, I guess. SO I still have time to apply to IESE ? How good is it ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey Mav,

I don't know whats the motive behind chosing Sauder / Eller / T- Bird / Alberta. But if you are looking towards IT Strategy Consulting. Why not go towards Europe?

I know of a person who has 640 GMAT, 4 yrs of work ex and no international exposure, and he got an admit in IESE.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Where did you get the 2009 Eller employement report? the Eller website has 2008 employement report i guess!!

Oh by the way, i noticed that only 9.5 % students took MIS @ Eller, and their average Salary is mentioned at N/A (I am unable to understand why it's N/A, 9.5% is enough to find out an Average on Salary)

About me; I have 610 GMAT, 105 TOEFL, 2yrs 10 months work ex in Telecomm, and a Dozen rejects from everywhere, so I am not heading anywhere as of now :)

Good luck for your Future mate

Cheers!
Ayon

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Wow..great analysis. I'll try and work around it.

I have last 3 yrs emp. reports from Eller career management center ( 3 months after grad. ) :- 85% (2007), 60% (2008, bad for int'l but I guess that was everywhere ), 65% (2009, much better than 2008 for int'l students )

Where are you headed to by the way ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...