EI or TCS - help!

36 Posts  ·  14 Users
About this group
Hello, I m a maths grad frm du,passing out this yr. took cat this yr n messed it up , will, be taking it this yr agn. now i have 2 jobs one is TCS n the other is n Ahmedabad based company Educational Initiatives,which has its mission to work tow...
Page 1 of 4
PG is a large community, where you will find people from diversified fields and interest, I believe PG has been an enormous source of knowledge resource for everyone, however, each user has its own way of explaining things. rpradeephere, quoted a valid point that you should had done some homework, before getting into EI, which is however, your 1st job.

Given that you have -not-so-good- time at EI and you are not getting enough time for CAT, which still remains your priority ahead of current job offers you have, I suggest it is good time to quit EI and join TCS (however, it also depends on your personal taste). CAT 08 is not far away and since you have a flexible joining date for TCS, it is a gives you an extra edge for CAT preparations.

I don't think 4 months or 9 months of expierence from EI or TCS will add much value, however, getting a stronger score in CAT will help you in a far better way!

@ Kitty: I subscribe to both the viewpoints of vivek. Mine are also the same.

If you are hating the current job, its better to hate a TCS job than an EI one. 😉 Jokes apart, I mean, EI had one major thing to offer and thats called job profile. If that itself is not to your liking, join TCS and slog your whatever off to crack CAT. If that means sleeping for 4 hours a day, so be it. I would personally not advice taking a break to prepare for CAT. Joining TCS seems to be a good move according to me. You wont show gaps in your resume that way and also will be making some money and also you will have something to speak about in the interviews. ATB.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
I somehow felt in the initial post that you have your priorities straight and maybe are a bit confused about career paths. All of us took out our time to help you out. But then, I guess it was wrong. PG is a place where you can always head to for help, provided, you have done enough ground work and ask people here for advice. Your later posts suggested otherwise.

Lets be frank. Can anyone outside EI answer this question: "I want some suggessions on what all i could be learning here.."]

i am sorry if i hv sounded offensive at any point of time.. i am really really sorry.. i never ever meant. i just wanted ur inputs.
m really sorry agn.
thnx

PG is a large community, where you will find people from diversified fields and interest, I believe PG has been an enormous source of knowledge resource for everyone, however, each user has its own way of explaining things. rpradeephere, quoted a valid point that you should had done some homework, before getting into EI, which is however, your 1st job.

Given that you have -not-so-good- time at EI and you are not getting enough time for CAT, which still remains your priority ahead of current job offers you have, I suggest it is good time to quit EI and join TCS (however, it also depends on your personal taste). CAT 08 is not far away and since you have a flexible joining date for TCS, it is a gives you an extra edge for CAT preparations.

I don't think 4 months or 9 months of expierence from EI or TCS will add much value, however, getting a stronger score in CAT will help you in a far better way!
I somehow felt in the initial post that you have your priorities straight and maybe are a bit confused about career paths. All of us took out our time to help you out. But then, I guess it was wrong. PG is a place where you can always head to for help, provided, you have done enough ground work and ask people here for advice. Your later posts suggested otherwise.

Lets be frank. Can anyone outside EI answer this question: "I want some suggessions on what all i could be learning here.."]

i am sorry if i hv sounded offensive at any point of time.. i am really really sorry.. i never ever meant. i just wanted ur inputs.
m really sorry agn.
thnx

Lets be frank. Can anyone outside EI answer this question: "I want some suggessions on what all i could be learning here.."

Somethings which were in your control:

- Office space. You must have visited it atleast once if you knew they just had one office
- Job profile. Reading the initial description makes me feel you are doing what was mentioned in the website. It was very clear in the website that you will be preparing question papers/syllabi etc.
- Backaches etc. When you are setting question papers, you will obviously know that you have to sit in a chair the whole day. Even in TCS its the same anyway.
- New place. This was also a known input.

I can agree only you telling that you don't like the people there which you may not have known.

But I guess you have received enough advice. Please take your own call.

This post might have been harsh, but its just to drive home the message that one should do their homework before contacting people for help.

@rpradeerhere
i agree with u completely,i should have done my homework.
but being a fresher right out of college..u cant really judge a lot of things in adv...and there was a complete mismatch between what i percieved n got to know of the job and what i got here..apparently the job was very creative and new.. but there are a lot of constraints here.. nothing much innovative..n i am literally copying and pasting ques all day..
..u cant really judge things until n unless u r actually put into them!
n ur priorities and choices do change with time..u keep learning..n not same things fit everyone n everytime!
i am not blaming anyone here.. cant find better people for advice! ultimately the call was mine..n there is definitely no harm in taking opinions!
n i wanted to give this job a shot .. i always had a tcs offer in my hand. n the most imp thing for me is cat.. n now i dont think i will be to manage tht here(with so many factors applicable)..n i get ample time for cat if i leave this job since the tcs join date is nytime between aug-nov.
thnx a lot for ur advice!
thnx agn.

@rpradeerhere
i agree with u completely,i should have done my homework.
but being a fresher right out of college..u cant really judge a lot of things in adv...and there was a complete mismatch between what i percieved n got to know of the job and what i got here..apparently the job was very creative and new.. but there are a lot of constraints here.. nothing much innovative..n i am literally copying and pasting ques all day..
..u cant really judge things until n unless u r actually put into them!
n ur priorities and choices do change with time..u keep learning..n not same things fit everyone n everytime!
i am not blaming anyone here.. cant find better people for advice! ultimately the call was mine..n there is definitely no harm in taking opinions!
n i wanted to give this job a shot .. i always had a tcs offer in my hand. n the most imp thing for me is cat.. n now i dont think i will be to manage tht here(with so many factors applicable)... n i get ample time for cat if i leave this job since the tcs join date would be late.
thnx a lot for ur advice!
thnx agn.

@rpradeerhere
.. but just tht sum pressure frm elders due TCS brand name is there..n also fact tht TCS is a defn a risk-free option..

But Thanks a lot puys..didnt expect u people to help me sooooo much!

I have just left my job at TCS after working there for 32 months .. and though I don't know much about a fresher's perspective about TCS .. I am aware of the changes TCS is going thru for quite sometime now.

I have seen this organization grow from 30k+ to 100k+ people .. and I have also seen a significant shift in the way they treat people.Here are a few pointers to that :

1.It is going to change to a role based organization eventually(which means your current role in the project would determine your compensation).

2.Their have been some significant changes in compensation structure which will mean huge gap between top performerse and people who are not performing(which wasn't the case say 2 years back).

3.There are now known instances of people being asked to resign for non-performance and this trend is likely to continue even at TCS.

bottomline...

TCS is not so risk-free anymore and definitely not a safe haven for all the b-school aspirants...

but more importantly I feel that joining an organization as a stop gap before joining a b-school is a bad carreer decision as stated earlier by a fellow puy.

Please join any organization believing that you will have to earn your salary there.Assuming anything else might leave you in a shock :)

PS: I think the offer you have at EI is a good ..because :

1. It gives your resume an edge over the 10 IT guys you're most certain to meet during your B-school travails.
2. It pays better :)
3. You yourself seems to be interested in joining it.And as they say If you find something good at first .... it probably is
I want some suggessions on what all i could be learning here..
apparently this job does not give me much exposure right now(in terms of dealing with clients..).. i cant see any growth here.just the work is interesting maybe..
Also want to know what all would i be learning at tcs..how would it be better..
I think i would take some time to settle down..n the initial jitters might fade away..but i m not sure..i m really scared!
so what should i be doing now?

1. leave the current job within the next 2 weeks..prepare for cat till my tcs join date
2.work here till i join tcs..but i donno wether i would be able to manage cat then..considering dealing with settling down in a new place, new people..n even not much time left now!
3. continue here till i can crack the exam
or anything else if u could suggest..i am confused!

Lets be frank. Can anyone outside EI answer this question: "I want some suggessions on what all i could be learning here.."

Somethings which were in your control:

- Office space. You must have visited it atleast once if you knew they just had one office
- Job profile. Reading the initial description makes me feel you are doing what was mentioned in the website. It was very clear in the website that you will be preparing question papers/syllabi etc.
- Backaches etc. When you are setting question papers, you will obviously know that you have to sit in a chair the whole day. Even in TCS its the same anyway.
- New place. This was also a known input.

I can agree only you telling that you don't like the people there which you may not have known.

But I guess you have received enough advice. Please take your own call.

This post might have been harsh, but its just to drive home the message that one should do their homework before contacting people for help.

I want some suggessions on what all i could be learning here..
apparently this job does not give me much exposure right now(in terms of dealing with clients..).. i cant see any growth here.just the work is interesting maybe..
Also want to know what all would i be learning at tcs..how would it be better..
I think i would take some time to settle down..n the initial jitters might fade away..but i m not sure..i m really scared!
so what should i be doing now?

1. leave the current job within the next 2 weeks..prepare for cat till my tcs join date
2.work here till i join tcs..but i donno wether i would be able to manage cat then..considering dealing with settling down in a new place, new people..n even not much time left now!
3. continue here till i can crack the exam
or anything else if u could suggest..i am confused!

kittykhanna Says
i want to know how would this profile at ei( making ques for kids for effective learning) earn me brownie points at the interviews for b schools.. please i need inputs..

If you think it wont than I am pretty sure that it wont...see yar the logic is simple..the work ex helps in intrvws if you have quality work ex..if its a work ex where u r being forced to work and hate ur job...than it will be of no use...so my advice will be the same as last one just evaluate ur career aspirations and take ur decision accordingl..but donn just work ovr there so that u get brownie points i mean it wont help ur cause one bit..

Thanks
The Only thing constant in Life-Change!

i want to know how would this profile at ei( making ques for kids for effective learning) earn me brownie points at the interviews for b schools.. please i need inputs..