Docs with MBAs...openings?

26 Posts  ·  15 Users
About this group
I'm a medstudent halfway through MBBS.Due to several reasons,mainly with a view to better play upon my strengths am planning on an MBA. 1.Looking at the current and impending boom in healthcare and biotechnology,there should logically b...
Page 1 of 3

Knock Knock... anybody home??
:) 😃

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
ats
@ats  ·  0 karma

not easy to find rankings fr healthcare progs. i guess they can be found only in the paid version of the various polls.

as a thumb rule.. whatever school has an mba/mph, mba/mha, mba/md program, will have some sort of offering in the healthcare mba stream. so u can apply there.

and then u can make your own rankings based on the broader rankings of those mba programs..they will more or less be same. this will be true if u do the mba ... if u want only mha/mph then i dunno. never researched those options.

---ats

ats
@ats  ·  0 karma

not easy to find rankings fr healthcare progs. i guess they can be found only in the paid version of the various polls.

as a thumb rule.. whatever school has an mba/mph, mba/mha, mba/md program, will have some sort of offering in the healthcare mba stream. so u can apply there.

and then u can make your own rankings based on the broader rankings of those mba programs..they will more or less be same. this will be true if u do the mba ... if u want only mha/mph then i dunno. never researched those options.

---ats

hello all u docs out here.

lemme share my research. ive been planning for an mba from past three years and have been researching schools fr two years now.

a lot of the best b-schools have healthcare related electives/concentrations/certifications. to name a few .. harvard, stanford, kelogg, haas, duke, anderson,tuck, cornell, rotman, schulich, etcetcetc. list goes on and on. those that dont have those...would be happy to get u in and develop something specific for ur needs...yes all for u...thats how these good schhols function.

internship is not counted as work ex. but write about it in ur application essays... but make sure u do not apply fresh after internship. wrk fr a year. if u finished around march.. work till november and apply. with one year ex. u still have a lot of chance getting one of the gud ones, provided u get a gud gmat score.

yes GMAT is essential. the ad-com needs to know whether u have the academic aptitude. 700+ will get u thru.

and make sure u get into the top-35 . no point wasting a medical degree fr a faaltu school. so doc sushi...stop thinking of a middle level skool in uk. kuchh padhai kar aur achchhey skool mein chal. samjha kya. :)

by the way...all these views are fr schools abroad.

.cheers.

---ats

hey ats,

it will be a great help, if you can list all such colleges...i ve been seaching over the web for rankings of MBA-Healthcare,but could'nt find any.

chao
~ankur
ats
@ats  ·  0 karma

hello all u docs out here.

lemme share my research. ive been planning for an mba from past three years and have been researching schools fr two years now.

a lot of the best b-schools have healthcare related electives/concentrations/certifications. to name a few .. harvard, stanford, kelogg, haas, duke, anderson,tuck, cornell, rotman, schulich, etcetcetc. list goes on and on. those that dont have those...would be happy to get u in and develop something specific for ur needs...yes all for u...thats how these good schhols function.

internship is not counted as work ex. but write about it in ur application essays... but make sure u do not apply fresh after internship. wrk fr a year. if u finished around march.. work till november and apply. with one year ex. u still have a lot of chance getting one of the gud ones, provided u get a gud gmat score.

yes GMAT is essential. the ad-com needs to know whether u have the academic aptitude. 700+ will get u thru.

and make sure u get into the top-35 . no point wasting a medical degree fr a faaltu school. so doc sushi...stop thinking of a middle level skool in uk. kuchh padhai kar aur achchhey skool mein chal. samjha kya. :)

by the way...all these views are fr schools abroad.

.cheers.

---ats

hi. I am a doc too. New to this forum.. want to do mba from uk. Want to do mba for the same reasons as discussed in this forum earlier. I am not brilliant but u may call me just above average. 1oth--80% 12th--76% Cleared plab exam but could not pursue it any further because now very dificult for doctors to go there more so with the new hsmp rules and work permit problems. Ielts-7. Please advise me regarding
1.....How much salary should i expect when i return to india with an mba from a middle level school of uk. I shall be taking a loan so will i be able to repay back with my post mba salary. My present salary is 20k per month(govt. job)
2..... Are u allowed to work in the uk after completion of mba.( obviously for monetary reasons-- repayment of loans etc.)
3.... What r the prospects of getting a job in uk (for a period of 2-3 years) with an mba from a middle level b school.

Hi,

i dont know about salary etc in india, but once u do an MBA from a good school which are in the recognised list of uk visa norms..u can get an hsmp permit and find a job in there ....HSMP Points Calculator check his out

~ankur

hi. I am a doc too. New to this forum.. want to do mba from uk. Want to do mba for the same reasons as discussed in this forum earlier. I am not brilliant but u may call me just above average. 1oth--80% 12th--76% Cleared plab exam but could not pursue it any further because now very dificult for doctors to go there more so with the new hsmp rules and work permit problems. Ielts-7. Please advise me regarding
1.....How much salary should i expect when i return to india with an mba from a middle level school of uk. I shall be taking a loan so will i be able to repay back with my post mba salary. My present salary is 20k per month(govt. job)
2..... Are u allowed to work in the uk after completion of mba.( obviously for monetary reasons-- repayment of loans etc.)
3.... What r the prospects of getting a job in uk (for a period of 2-3 years) with an mba from a middle level b school.

Hey Ankur,
More and more schools abroad,especially in the US and in Australia are offering management programmes targetted at healthcare workers.
Some of these are dual programmes (MD/MBA) while others are fulltime.
Most of the doctors going in for these,seem to be doing so with a mind to better manage their private practises and have a fair number of years of experience doing the same.
The other question I'd been hoping to get answered was whether these schools(via GMAT,I'd think) would accept fresh medical graduates.
So far the answer seems to be in the negative as most schools look for applicants with a minimum work ex of two years.
Anyhow,any new information will be posted.Hope that helped.
Regards.

Thanks doc,
Can you be more precise in telling which colleges are these....i am aware of only CMU-tepper.....

thanks
~ankur

Hey Ankur,
More and more schools abroad,especially in the US and in Australia are offering management programmes targetted at healthcare workers.
Some of these are dual programmes (MD/MBA) while others are fulltime.
Most of the doctors going in for these,seem to be doing so with a mind to better manage their private practises and have a fair number of years of experience doing the same.
The other question I'd been hoping to get answered was whether these schools(via GMAT,I'd think) would accept fresh medical graduates.
So far the answer seems to be in the negative as most schools look for applicants with a minimum work ex of two years.
Anyhow,any new information will be posted.Hope that helped.
Regards.

A few questions.
1.Is the internship during MBBS considered work experience?
I believe some of you answered in the negative.Any more views/information?

2.When can a medical student give the CAT.Most engineering students I know gave/are giving the CAT during their final year.A medstudent must complete a year of internship after the final year.Is there a time frame by when the degree should be complete for a person to become eligible for the exam?

hey doc,

did you searched for options abroad on healthcare mba? i am also searching them..but very few renowned b schools in us have it as spcialization...if you get some info do share that.

~Ankur