Dilemma --- Mtech admission or CAT prep

11 Posts  ·  7 Users
About this group
Hi friends, I am working in a very popular software firm from past 1.5 years. I have got a an offer from IIT for Mtech in DSP an upcoming field in tronics, but I also believe a professional will require a mgmt degree at some stage in his carrer....
Page 1 of 2

best of luck mate....

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Hi, Thanks for filling confidence in me . My main problem is I can't give time for preparing for exams as my parents depend on me(job) , so I thought of going in for what I have got now, as i felt it was better than what I have now, but some people are of the opinion that MTech from India (IIT) is of now use and I will end up in the same job or even lesser one as I would have to spent 2 years studying.These thoughts disturb me and my mind wavers.I know IIMs is a better option , but it takes something to get there but I was found wanting twice.Anyways I have decided to be bull headed and go ahead and hope for the best.
Bye.

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions.
After contemplating a lot I have sort of decided to quit my job, do the Mtech....
prepare during studying Mtech... Give CAT in '04 n '05(if '04 is screwed up)
see if i can get into a IIM in '06.. if not then work on DSP.

Just a passing thot.. one of my friends... did a BSc & which was looked down pretty badly then!! But after that.. while we were still in last sem.. I think he got into MSc & still ppl thot.. it wouldnt be worth too much... After MSc.. he worked for a coupla years.. as a lecturer.... After which he got a seat in one of the best univs abroad (Penn State) for Phd... with full assistantship!!! 😃

Moral - Go ahead with ur Mtech & Enjoy it ... Maybe later... U can fit in an MBA here or abroad... 😃 😃 Ur MTech will hold a lot of value then...

Simba

Hi ,
I am joining IITD.
Which one r u joining?

Hi

Im happy to find a company here. Which iit r u joining this time?

Good decision!!! You have followed ur heart by opting for DSP than for a s/w job abt which u were not too happy. Capitalize on ur free time and give a good shot at CAT (mock cats this year) + CAT 06. All the best!!!

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions.
After contemplating a lot I have sort of decided to quit my job, do the Mtech....
prepare during studying Mtech... Give CAT in '04 n '05(if '04 is screwed up)
see if i can get into a IIM in '06.. if not then work on DSP.

I believe GATE score is valid for two years.Give CAT the best shot you can now.Then you could decide next year .Also perhaps with iincreased work ex you should have increased your chances prety well antyhting near 99 should fetch you iim calls
all the best

Since you are not at all keen on the s/w job and are obviously interested in DSP, I would say go for it. And yes u can still write CAT after 2 years. You shd find more time for CAT prep while doing an M.Tech than if you work in a software company. Your preparation cud start from this year. You can take IMS/TIME mock cats and gauge your preparedness for CAT 06.

While the utility of DSP may not be directly germane to your MBA, it is another avenue where you wud have developed a certain degree of competence and if entrepreneurship is on your mind... your expertise in DSP could help you decide if you want to run a business in DSP.

I think you are pretty clear that a mgmt degree suits you.

So, why don't you give a shot again? Im not sure abt the value of Mtech from IIT, but then, if you want to do a mgmt sometime, I think this is the right time.

btw, what was ur percentile? If it was 70/80+ I guess you could pretty much work a bit more hard and make it this time.

My 2 pence tho.