CUNY Baruch MBA Information

29 Posts  ·  11 Users
About this group
Hello PG members, I am a full - Time MBA(2011-2013) student at Baruch college- Zicklin School of Business. If you need any information related to program, admissions you can post your queries or e-mail me at pankaj.parihar303@gmail.com and I ...
Page 1 of 3

My insights about Baruch. Based on various queries from applicants, I have compiled my answers over here.

Baruch has consistently been ranked in top 10 MBA programs in North America when it comes to ROI. The students are getting decent placements and the average salary goes around $75,000 which is quite a good return considering $53,000 tuition fees. Most of the MBA colleges in US have average tuition fees of $70,000 and returns are more or less same.

I won't say that placements are easy to come. Obviously, international students have to slog harder to get jobs as compared to natives. Getting your H1B sponsored is quite a task but you will be amazed to hear that from last 2 years all International students are getting placed. The tricky part here is not about getting placed but getting into right job. Suppose your work ex is all about IT but you wanted to do MBA to switch to Finance then probably Baruch will not help you much in career transition. Some of my Indian friends who intended to switch from IT to finance couldn't do that, though they got decent jobs and H1B sponsored. Yes you can anytime change your major. Initially, I chose marketing but after end of first semester I realized Finance makes more sense and changed my major. Even I wouldn't recommend you to go for purely Entrepreneurship major at Baruch. Reason being, Baruch doesn't provides enough exposure and opportunity for entrepreneurs like other top b-schools do. What I would recommend you is to go for a dual major in finance and entrepreneurship. There is no criteria for choosing a major. You can choose any major depending on your interest. Placements at Baruch are decent. I cannot answer this in quantitative terms but it depends on individual to individual. All the Indian students who were able to secure an internship had final job offers. Some had to wait and struggle after completion of program. With current turmoil it's hard but not impossible to get a job. Be hopeful and go for extra mile and I am sure you would be able to do it. All the big 4s come to Baruch for internship i.e. KPMG, PWC, E&Y; and Deloitte. Career management center is good but you cannot be completely dependent on that. You will get myriad of opportunities to network and this is how most of the students secure jobs and internship. This is best thing about Baruch. Cost of program is very low as compared to other B-schools and considering the school's location in Manhattan, it makes sense to invest here. Living expense is considerably high. I live in Newport, Jersey City which is 30 min commuting from school and we are 5 guys sharing a 2BHK flat so it costs me like $450-500.Usually rent in this area for 2BHK is between $2800-3200. There are some cheaper accommodation available in Jersey City (Journal square, Jersey heights) but then the area isn't good and commuting time from there is more. What you can do is start looking for Indian students who are coming into your program. Make a forum or group in pagalguy or on facebook. Discuss your budget with other students and I am sure you will get a like minded group. This is how we did. On campus jobs are available in form of GA, you get paid like $16/ hr and you can work maximum of 20 hrs a week so you can easily make $900-1200 depending upon no. of hours in a month. Most of the Indian students in my batch got GA so I am hopeful that it would be easy for you guys as well.

Getting a job totally depends on your work experience and internship. Unlike India, the placement system here is different. They invite very few companies on campus for placements. Most of the placements are done through networking events, job fairs, posting on career management portal. Baruch is known for accounting and Finance. If you have any relevant fiance related work experience then getting internship is also easy.Baruch is quite cheap in tuition fees but cost of living in NYC is hefty. All that we save in tuition fees gets compensated with high living cost of New York. Living in New York city is out of question until and unless you have solid funding from your parents. Most of the students live in outer NYC areas like Queens, Jersey city( Newport). If you go for shared room then rent would be around $600-650 and for independent living you would have to shell out $1000-1200 on rent. Most of the expenses can be managed if you get GA in college and believe me most of the international students are able to get GA easily. An average cost of meal outside would be $10-$12/ meal. Monthly commuting cost (subway trains) is $75-80, mobile expenses $50 - 70/ monthI would say that roughly $1300-1500 would be your living expenses over here. The only positive thing with Buffalo is that living is very cheap. Your overall expenses would be minimal as compared to NYC. But, networking and internship opportunities are more in New York. It is the financial hub for world so you would be exposed to more cultural diversity and learning as compared to other parts of US. Its totally your call, choose the school after weighing all pros and cons.

The course is very engaging and demanding. The school slogs your guts out in first semester. A typical day would be full of assignments and lots of reading stuff. Exams here are on going process so in every few weeks there would be an exam. Unlike India(where one final exam is important), these people follow continuous assessment process so midterms have equal weight-age in total grades. I am not trying to intimidate you with all these information. Its just that I didn't anticipate this when I came here and it took me time to acclimatize to this system. Overall, life is fun on weekends when you have happy hour parties with your peer groups. Its like typical of US life where you work slog on weekdays and get sloshed on weekends. Should you guys have any further queries, do not hesitate to ask questions.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,
Can you tell me about the admission deferral process for Baruch. I have been admitted for the 2012 fall batch, but due to some reasons I will be joining in Jan 2013. Thank you.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey All,

I have applied at Baruch and will be interviewed by say next week.

Can You please guide me on my following queries:

1) What is the amount stated on your I-20?
2) How long do they take to respond post interview?
3) Easy to get a GA there?

I am probably running a little late with my application (thanks to the school) but your advice on this can help me decide on this school.

Other accept that i have received is University of Massachusetts, Boston. Your advice on choosing between UMass and Zicklin is also welcomed.

Thanks and regards,
Hersh Rathi

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Please join the group if you finalize for zicklin (2012 Batch)

Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/148686421927199/

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi All,

I have been admitted for the fall 2012 classes, whose orientation starts this August 13. Currently I am waiting for the I-20 and other documents to arrive.

I have also created a new group for Zicklin's prospective students for fall 2012 classes.

Please join the group if you finalize for zicklin (2012 Batch)

Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/148686421927199/

Thanks & Regards
Tanmay Bhatt

CHEERS!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi guys, any list of students from india who would be joining baruch-zicklin this fall? please PM me. thanks!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Rohan Mody Says
Hey! so have u finalized on Baruch?

Mostly not opting for it...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
idiopathist Says
7th feb...n got my dec. on 17th feb

Hey! so have u finalized on Baruch?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Rohan Mody Says
Congratulations! When were you interviewed? Care to share your profile?

7th feb...n got my dec. on 17th feb
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hey Guys,

Ive got an admit from Baruch!

Confused between Baruch and Brandeis IBS (Boston). Inclined towards finance.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Congratulations! When were you interviewed? Care to share your profile?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...