Crack CAT without coaching

72 Posts  ·  37 Users
About this group
Hi I'm new to PG and I couldn't find any thread that caters to students who want to crack the CAT without any coaching. I don't know if this is the right place to start this thread. So if it isn't pls inform me. I know there are very few who ...
Page 1 of 8

What material should one use for self study- CL or Bullseye? (Chandigarh)
also if some additional material is required?

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hi!
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to ask you where youre doing/have done your mba from? 😃

i am a 2011 CAT/SNAP aspirant..... a working person.....works around 10 hours a day.... how do i starts????

Oh a test series I have certainly joined....Byju's sir's online program....
But I didn't go for classroom coaching because of some personal problem...
Anyway I have TMH books...full of amazing shortcuts (specially "percentages")
See, we are all graduates, or will be by the time we appear for MBA entrance, and I think that any CAT aspirant worth his salt should be familiar with the theory and concepts. And practice is something that is best done "home alone", so where is the need for classes?
However, I think that the test series is an absolute MUST, otherwise there is no other indicator to gauge your relative performance and get a feel of the exam..I mean how does one come to know which section (QA/VA/DI) does one attempt first?..in fact 2 test series are recommended...

All said and done, Verbal ability is a concern..big concern...I mean the Para Jumbles and FIJ questions just seem as intuition based to me..I am simply not able to tell between a Judgement and an opinion...

I agree with you... at the end of the day, irrespective of whether you take classes or not, it all comes down to how to prepare at home by yourself... one can crack CAT without classes but good study material and focus are the pre-requisites to succeed. If you join classes but don't practice at home, it's of no use anyway.

Good Luck Puys!
Have you joined any mock cat series?

If not, then what is the reason behind it?

Just curious to know behind your methodology for preparation :)

Oh a test series I have certainly joined....Byju's sir's online program....
But I didn't go for classroom coaching because of some personal problem...
Anyway I have TMH books...full of amazing shortcuts (specially "percentages")
See, we are all graduates, or will be by the time we appear for MBA entrance, and I think that any CAT aspirant worth his salt should be familiar with the theory and concepts. And practice is something that is best done "home alone", so where is the need for classes?
However, I think that the test series is an absolute MUST, otherwise there is no other indicator to gauge your relative performance and get a feel of the exam..I mean how does one come to know which section (QA/VA/DI) does one attempt first?..in fact 2 test series are recommended...

All said and done, Verbal ability is a concern..big concern...I mean the Para Jumbles and FIJ questions just seem as intuition based to me..I am simply not able to tell between a Judgement and an opinion...
Hey why is this thread dead???:-P
I am a CAT 2011 aspirant trying to reach the top without coaching...
Pour in guys!!

Have you joined any mock cat series?

If not, then what is the reason behind it?

Just curious to know behind your methodology for preparation 😃
Cheers! SIBM Pune Human Resources 2012-2014

yes right... we must hav confidence in ourselves.. and work on the basics... m sure CAT is no big deal.
We must learn to extirpate choices in our lives.. STAY COOL .. CALM and FOCUSSED..

ALL the BEST..
-CAT aspirant 2011 (Self study)

Rohit Goyal www.facebook.com/rohitgluv

Hey why is this thread dead???:-P
I am a CAT 2011 aspirant trying to reach the top without coaching...
Pour in guys!!

hello all...
dis thread seems to be idle for quite a long time...well, i belong to the category of students not going to a coaching class for cat preparation..am in my 3rd yr of engineering rite now..the coachin centre is a bit far away from my place n takes likes around 45 min to reach der if the traffic is miserable..I have joined TIME so that i can give AIMCATS n get all the study material..I believe that PG is the best place for students like me..
But I just dont understand how to get along with Verbal Ability..
At TIME we were taught using word roots n stuff..People say that verbal is something you improve over time, so just read newspapers ,novels n stuff...But dont you think absence of a strategic approach at this can prove to be harmful..
Should i go for Norman Lewis or Arun Sharma? Plz suggest some standard book for tht..

you can start with Norman Lewis... also keep reading newspapers especially the editorials... it'll help you for GD prep in future..
XLRI-BM (2014-16)

hello all...
dis thread seems to be idle for quite a long time...well, i belong to the category of students not going to a coaching class for cat preparation..am in my 3rd yr of engineering rite now..the coachin centre is a bit far away from my place n takes likes around 45 min to reach der if the traffic is miserable..I have joined TIME so that i can give AIMCATS n get all the study material..I believe that PG is the best place for students like me..
But I just dont understand how to get along with Verbal Ability..
At TIME we were taught using word roots n stuff..People say that verbal is something you improve over time, so just read newspapers ,novels n stuff...But dont you think absence of a strategic approach at this can prove to be harmful..
Should i go for Norman Lewis or Arun Sharma? Plz suggest some standard book for tht..