Cornell - 2011 - Current Student taking questions etc?

295 Posts  ·  110 Users
About this group
Hey Puys, I have received my admit to the Class of 2012 of the Johnson School of Business, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. The school is one of the ivy league schools in the US and regularly features amongst the top 10 in the rankings lists o...
Page 1 of 30
Hello!

Earnest request to evaluate my profile for Full Time MBA programs. Thanks!
GMAT1: 670 q50 v31 AWA & IR: Awaited.

Background:
Passed out from top Engineering school of India (IIT Kanpur) in 2008. I have a GPA of 3.0/4.0 which is a little above the average score. My extra curricular are also average though I was awarded a Gold Medal by Aluminium association of India for my B.tech Project. I have attended many Research conference as well and presented my work.

At work place, i have been awarded couple of times for my work (Star of the quarter) and was promoted on Monetary terms. I think i can get good recommendations.

Work Profile: I have roughly 4.5 years of work Experience and currently working with a Private Bank as Senior Manager.

What kind of Universities should I focus on and what are my odds in Cornell?

I am confused if I should go for GMAT again as this would be my 4th attempt. Please suggest
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I have attended the Cornell Johnson Information session, its been wonderful experience

http://mbapensive.wordpress.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I dont even see the 'edit post' button !!!

Read "Why MBA" http://everythin4all.wordpress.com/ Videos @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkfUKHRovqo
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Errr.... why ain't the line breaks and spacings not working? Tried to edit the above post of mine a dozen times!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello people..... my name's AK and I would love to get into Cornell. Will be appin' to couple of other US MBAs too.... but Cornell is special. Been to upstate New York in Summer 2004 and loved the whole vibe there.

I've a problem.... got a bit of a "mixed" record you see.... and would like to know if I make the cut. Current student, appin' eterans and fellow aspirants, please take a dekho.
Sorry.... long post ahead!

GMAT-TOEFL:
I haven't written my GMAT and TOEFL yet, scheduled for September 1st week and August end respectively. I dont expect any problems in TOEFL.... aced it once a long time ago. But still slugging on it.... you never know! GMAT is an entirely different beast though..... I'm *most* wary, despite a month of preps.

ACADEMICS:

1. X/XII: 89.5%, 78%

2. BTech in EEE from a reputed (A+) engineering program: 70% aggregate (my univ is notorious when it comes to giving grades)

3. M.S. from a A++ level US university in Aerospace Engineering (Controls): GPA 2.9/4.0. Course requirements not complete!

Now the MS part is *the* blemish; got into a Kill-or-be-Killed department (with grading on a curve that is!) that was never my core discipline...... and populated by hardcore rocket scientists with MIT/Shanghai TJiao ong/ASU/Berkeley/General Dynamics/Teledyne/Boeing/ityadi pedigrees. I got into this different discipline in the first place due to the Controls stream I took in BTech and the odd mechanical courses I had opted for..... and my rather impressive 1 year BTech project on missile guidance algorithms with a major government agency.

First Sem was a disaster (didn't fail in any though!) and though I could pick up to B+ levels in the following 2 semesters I had to leave the course before I could attend a core course AND pull my GPA over 3.0. This was due to a crisis back home and I HAD to tend to...... in and out of the US in like 16 months.

PROFESSIONAL PUBLICATIONS:
None.
Yeah yeah.... I know......

WORK EXPERIENCE:
Total experience of 6 years right now (with 4 yrs in Middle East and East Asia).

I'm in the power & utilities industry and specialize in control & automation. electrical switchgear (MV/LV) and a little bit of fiber optic/radio communications. Two years in India..... feasibility studies, risk analysis and design & engineering for power sector E.P.C AND engineering review and inspection & testing tours (BHEL/BEL units and some private manufacturers) for EPCM/power sector consultancy.
After all this I did about another couple of yrs in Dubai with a electrical and Control-Automation subcontractor (subsidiary of an engineering MNC) for the water, waste water & pipelines sector. Here my job was design & engineering AND estimation for projects in the UAE, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar.
I'm currently in East Asia as a Senior Engineer in a 2.0 Billion (for 1st phase only) USD project . I wear two hats now - one is design & engineering/estimation/engineering risk analysis and the other is estimation & procurement.

CERTIFICATIONS:
Certified in multiple PLC/DCS/SCADA systems (Rockwell, Siemens, Emerson and Schneider-Electric)
Attended training seminars for Wonderware HMI/SCADA, Schnedier-Electric Drives and Power Systems SCADA.

EXTRA CURRICULAR:
Successful quiz career of 12 years.
Regional/National University level prizes. A.I.U, beetch3s! 😉
Top slots (2nd or 3rd... never the 1st! Highly jinxed team!) in quizzes at IIT-Chennai & IIT-Mumbai.
Topped quite a few other major quizzes.
[There's a problem though..... lost a couple of the heavy hitter certificates somewhere in the US! Guess it's as good as not listing them, right?! I mean, they will need proof right?]

I was quite active in student politics through college.... and I am a veteran of 2 election campaigns with the student's wing. Honest! In fact before my assignment in East Asia I devoted about 4 months for the party youth wing's social services activities.... in advance of the looming elections.
I can give references but does this get the same "weightage" an NGO reference gets?

FINANCES:
My pedigree's quite..... patrician and got pretty good finances. I have saved a tidy bit too.... after that sunken expenses for M.S.

Thank you for your patience! So, what do puys think? Any chance?
-AK

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

All the AMBAs I know have a masters degree, not having one would severely disadvantage / handicap your application. If the admissions office says that it is a prerequisite, then it is one. Sorry about that.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Jamiroquai Says
Do you have a masters degree?

No, I dont have any Master's degree. I am an Engineering graduate.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Does it mean that I am not eligible to apply for the particular course??? Bcoz, I dint see any such requirement anywhere on the site... Everywhere it is mentioned that it is ideal for a candidate to have Master's in Math / Science...
Is there any other way how I can be eligible to apply for the course??? I really was very hopeful of pursuing MBA from Cornell :(
Thanks.

Do you have a masters degree?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Jamiroquai Says
I think the best thing for you to do would be to write to the admissions committee to ask them. They're usually very responsive when it comes to general questions of this nature.

Hi Jamiroquai,
I mailed to gm-mba@cornell.edu on this query and this is what they replied...
In order to apply to the AMBA program you must have a masters in math or science. The program only starts in May.
Does it mean that I am not eligible to apply for the particular course??? Bcoz, I dint see any such requirement anywhere on the site... Everywhere it is mentioned that it is ideal for a candidate to have Master's in Math / Science...
Is there any other way how I can be eligible to apply for the course??? I really was very hopeful of pursuing MBA from Cornell :(
Thanks.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi Mani, Jamiroquai,

Could you pls help me clarify, if it is MUST for an AMBA aspirant to carry Master's degree in Maths or Science, OR even an engineering graduate with 10+yrs of experience also qualify for the course????

Thanks in advance!!!

I think the best thing for you to do would be to write to the admissions committee to ask them. They're usually very responsive when it comes to general questions of this nature.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...