common usage error on da forum

15 Posts  ·  9 Users
About this group
hi ppl, i cannot bear it anymore... i just hafta do this... okie... here goes... u don't "give an exam"...u "take an exam" it annoys me when ppl all over da forum talk abt "giving cat" plzzz plzzzzz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...
Page 1 of 2
hi ppl,
okie...
here goes...

u don't "give an exam"...u "take an exam"

it annoys me when ppl all over da forum talk abt "giving cat"

plzzz plzzzzz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
start saying "taking cat"

ah!...i'm relieved now

~susie

ps--i'm sure many o' u hv felt dis way...when someone's sayin' smthg wrong or has a wrong idea abt smthg...u get dis awful irritating feelin'...me dat way

well... well... the title and the first post are in perfect synergy i would say!!! if you don't feel bad using the above language, why don't you accept usages like "give CAT" or "take exam", which are embraced by thousands across the country? it should be perfectly acceptable...

rp

hey! thaz jus' an email way o' writin'...
der's no usage error or grammatical error...
n it sounds jus' fine...
unlike " i'm giving cat dis yr "
n " what is ur good name? "
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
cattie Says
what could possibly be the diff b/w 'giving an exam' and 'conducting an exam'?

my guess wud be that giving an exam is when u set the paper etc, but you need not necessarily conduct that exam. :

Uday

btw, linguits will call "giving exams" as naturalization of the english language accd to to the indian context. Studied this crap in the first yr when we had a Linguistics paper!

Uday

Give tutions actually means to tutor someone under you and Take tutions is to get yourself tutored under someone ...but PPl invariably use Take tutions ..

it's tuition....
yup...

tuition here is used for 'teaching' as opposed to fees

However as far as we CAT aspirants are concerned we must take care to use only perfect English and not the colloquial one

Krain

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Giving an Exam & Taking an Exam is the same as Giving Tutions and Taking Tutions

But as in "exam" ,"taking tutions" is used to mean both ..here in MooMBhaI

Give tutions actually means to tutor someone under you and Take tutions is to get yourself tutored under someone ...but PPl invariably use Take tutions ..

But frankly I myself came to know of the difference in Giving & Taking Exams when I was going through one of the IMS BRMs two years ago....never was the difference pointed out in School....and it was I Convent School I went to!!!

But man always looks for his convenience...otherwise Hinglish wud have never come into being!!!!......And frankly speaking its a "Who Cares??" attitude as long as the message is conveyed clearly Besides we do see strains of that in the newer editions of Oxford as we have been regularly reading in the newspapers

However as far as we CAT aspirants are concerned we must take care to use only perfect English and not the colloquial one

Krain

Live and Let Live! :)
Psychodementia Says
PS : I like using redundant sentences :P

say dat again :wink:

yup...a tissue cud be a handkerchief or a towel or......toilet paper
Garuda Says
give or take....arnt they both verbs? so? whats behind it? any light on that please?

simple! 😃

language n logic r 2 very different thingz 😛
hi ppl,
okie...
here goes...

u don't "give an exam"...u "take an exam"

it annoys me when ppl all over da forum talk abt "giving cat"

plzzz plzzzzz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
start saying "taking cat"

ah!...i'm relieved now

~susie

ps--i'm sure many o' u hv felt dis way...when someone's sayin' smthg wrong or has a wrong idea abt smthg...u get dis awful irritating feelin'...me dat way

well... well... the title and the first post are in perfect synergy i would say!!! if you don't feel bad using the above language, why don't you accept usages like "give CAT" or "take exam", which are embraced by thousands across the country? it should be perfectly acceptable...

rp

I think 'giving an exam' means to 'examine somebody' while 'taking an exam' means 'to be examined oneself'.

as for writing & taking an exam, 'taking' seems to be more like it.

what could possibly be the diff b/w 'giving an exam' and 'conducting an exam'?

give or take....arnt they both verbs? so? whats behind it? any light on that please?