COMMERCE guys with IIM FINAL calls

30 Posts  ·  22 Users
About this group
hmmm...not again...but i thought this was necessary...mods plz excuse me for this..... this topic wud be of gr8 interest for comm guys....last year i ahd an argument with pg bhai where he said that its nearly impossible for a plain bcom grad to ...
Page 1 of 3

RIMJHIM---------Is it so difference is made between plain and hons graduates at IIMs.
I had 89.8 percent in 10 boards and 72 percent in 12 boards. i am in b.com second year, had 74 percent in b.com first year. i am very comfortable with the written test but i am worried that wether my background will be my shortcoming in interviews. i will supplement my profile with M.com, 50 months of work exp in a bank in delhi, foreign language courses , and graphology course as well. have good extra curriculars like have nearly 20 certificates including 1 district level certificate mostly in debates all with first prize, in basketball, singing, javellin throws and essay writing at the school level. marks in 12 went low as was having science and was suffering from ill health.have a good persona but all what is making me tensed is i had low result in 12 and is doing B.com(regular). does that will make any difference. what prospects do i have on the basis of this profile of me getting a call from IIMs. please respond ma as soon as possible.:cool2:

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
mastersss Says
i know this thread is too old but i feel motivated after reading success stories of commerce grads .so all you with iim call please post your complete stories towards the journey of iim.............................................

dude u scared the s**t outta me!! u act like the calls are out or somethin!!! dont call for ppl to post b4 the calls are out.. i'n sure no one can guess rite now if s/he'll land a call :neutral: commerce or otherwise!!

i know this thread is too old but i feel motivated after reading success stories of commerce grads .so all you with iim call please post your complete stories towards the journey of iim.............................................

boss this is a 2 year old thread and also not relating to ur question
so find a proper thread for ur queries atb

hi guys im new 2 the thread and pretty worried ,i m a comm grad from sxc kolkata,and a ca inter ,m about 2 start articleship .sat in cat 2005 got 97.9 %tile ,but low in maths hence converted only mica which i m not going ,

can anybody help me in how i shud prepare this time

vahgar Says

hi.. while adding on a degree as CA/ICWA/CS definitly helps.. but only at the time of interview, it is the combination of hard work and luck to get u through the IIMs
vahgar Says

CA and MBA finance are very closely related i dont mean the studying part,when u do a CA and have an MBA degree to go along with it its one of the deadliest combination i guess,besides that a Ca going for an MBA it shows how dedicated that person is for making it somewhere,CA drains u and even after that having guts to go for an MBA is something to be admired.
vahgar
@vahgar  ·  282 karma

Hmmm...Interesting topic... heres my 2 cents...I have a CA background but 5 yrs back in my final yr Bcom ... 4 ppl got admits...2 to A, 1 to L and 1 to XLRI.. the XLRI guy gave CAT again and went to C..

One of the guys had tremendous extra curriculars- had won Mumbai level debates, was a BBC mastermind contestant etc, the others were OK, nothing exceptional.

All of them were focussed, and the Bcom background was not a disadvantage vis a vis BE background(at least non IIT bunch).

Best part is where they are today. The A guys got Mckinsey and Boston Consulting respectively. The C guy is in an Ibank today.The L girl did decently well too.
Apart from these, a lot of batchmates did make it too JB,FMS etc .

Seeing the general trand this yr , very few calls gave gone out to freshers.In my IIMB Batch, there are a few Bcom, Ba folks. Obviously, factors like work ex, IIT brand etc count- remember the IIms are looking at your final placeability while interviewing you.My guess is that a Bcom would be considred at par with a non IIT/NIT BE.

My advice if u are a fresh Bcom aspirant is to build up your extra curriculars otherwise its
gonna be tough at least at A/B/C

bcom hons 61 percent du

xii 79 percent
x84.2 percent
average extracurrics

workex about an year now