CL MockCAT - 1 20th Aug 2006

135 Posts  ·  50 Users
About this group
I gave the mock today ... My scores DI = 17.33 VA = 6 :: QA = 1.33 :: total = 24.66 this is my best performance in DI ... needn't say anything abt VA and Qa
Page 1 of 14

Got it Chango, thanks. Is there no correction other than question number 65?

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
It seems they have checked the OMR sheets using the incorrect keys. Could someone please post the errors in the answer keys?

I know 2 of them.

65: 2
106: 1

Both these questions are 2 markers which means correct/incorrect can make a difference of 5.33 marks.:wow:

It is really shameful on the part of CL for having so many errors in questions and then in answers as well. Not just that, they even marked the OMR sheets using incorrect keys.??:

dude 106 is 4 only .... c properly
I don't want to tiptoe through life .. only to arrive safely at death

It seems they have checked the OMR sheets using the incorrect keys. Could someone please post the errors in the answer keys?

I know 2 of them.

65: 2
106: 1

Both these questions are 2 markers which means correct/incorrect can make a difference of 5.33 marks.:wow:

It is really shameful on the part of CL for having so many errors in questions and then in answers as well. Not just that, they even marked the OMR sheets using incorrect keys.??:

catapult
@catapult  ·  1,270 karma

heys chango apologize for the delayed reply. Here are my two cents, the key to a good VA/RC score is to try and keep the errors under 10 well sounds pretty obvious but when one starts attempting this section one tends to get carried along with the flow of questions (as this section is a score booster) the target becomes to attempt as high as possible (this would be more true with the extra half hour at hand).

The fact is with these increased number of attempts we make more room for forced errors. Forced errors would be those questions where one is guided by intuition after a certain level of narrowing down. Say a 'PJ' question where one may narrow down to two options or a 'spot the grammatical error' question or an 'RC' question. I had experienced this last year when I was marking atleast 8-10 questions that were intuition driven (the "I feel" kinds).

Attempting 40-45 questions with this approach was tantamount to reducing the accuracy drastically. eg: A45 W16 C29 NS23.67 and A37 W6 C31 NS29. One should target the latter spread. For a few initial mocks identify the 'forced error' questions and try not to attempt them. Complete the section and gauge your attempts. Keep aside these questions, during the post analysis attempt them and compare with the approach given by the institute. Note the grammar rules applied (SCs and usage), approach to inferences drawn (RCs) and sequencing approach (PJs). Making a note of these to build your concept library.

Later on you would observe that most of these 'forced error' questions would get converted into your regular attempts and without sacrificing much on accuracy. Now I dont claim that this is a sure shot way to increase the sectional accuracy (sometimes errors may cross 10+) but yes the occurence of 10+ or 15+ errors that dent your scores would reduce.

I guess all this may sound good on paper but check if this suits you and give it a try after all mocks are the test pads to find out which strategy works well :)

cheers

sachin

The 'Forced Errors' theory as stated above is absolutely true. I was enlightened on this by a CL faculty when he called me to show my scores for a 1-on-1 session (Stop it there..U kinky minds). Towards the end i understood that he was actually pushing me to join their classroom course. I got away saying i'll see my performance for few more tests and get back.
Anyway, the point made by Govi here is valid. Therez this alter ego sitting beside you and prompting you to chose one of the two narrowed down options & use your damn luck. Well...Kick that ego in its butt & stop answering those quesitons.

Govi,
Thanks for the funda of going back home and looking at the pattern of such questions. I wasn't doing this. Sounds helpful.

Cheers!!
Congrats Vamsi

Hah this SIS things isnt showing the scores. Could any one post the highest sectional scores or the net scores. Any indicators.

@kaustubh Ankit has given a good indication there. I think it's not important whether X mock is tougher than Y or vice versa eventually all of them try to be as close as possible to the real CAT, and as far as the user base goes I really dont believe any of the institutes :). Put your hands on quality mocks and solve them....practice...practice :)

heys chango apologize for the delayed reply. Here are my two cents, the key to a good VA/RC score is to try and keep the errors under 10 well sounds pretty obvious but when one starts attempting this section one tends to get carried along with the flow of questions (as this section is a score booster) the target becomes to attempt as high as possible (this would be more true with the extra half hour at hand).

The fact is with these increased number of attempts we make more room for forced errors. Forced errors would be those questions where one is guided by intuition after a certain level of narrowing down. Say a 'PJ' question where one may narrow down to two options or a 'spot the grammatical error' question or an 'RC' question. I had experienced this last year when I was marking atleast 8-10 questions that were intuition driven (the "I feel" kinds).

Attempting 40-45 questions with this approach was tantamount to reducing the accuracy drastically. eg: A45 W16 C29 NS23.67 and A37 W6 C31 NS29. One should target the latter spread. For a few initial mocks identify the 'forced error' questions and try not to attempt them. Complete the section and gauge your attempts. Keep aside these questions, during the post analysis attempt them and compare with the approach given by the institute. Note the grammar rules applied (SCs and usage), approach to inferences drawn (RCs) and sequencing approach (PJs). Making a note of these to build your concept library.

Later on you would observe that most of these 'forced error' questions would get converted into your regular attempts and without sacrificing much on accuracy. Now I dont claim that this is a sure shot way to increase the sectional accuracy (sometimes errors may cross 10+) but yes the occurence of 10+ or 15+ errors that dent your scores would reduce.

I guess all this may sound good on paper but check if this suits you and give it a try after all mocks are the test pads to find out which strategy works well :)

cheers

sachin

Hey Sachin,
that was really a well-informed approach that u suggested for the verbal section.
i really identified my approach with the same.
hope to really cut-down on my forced errors gradually.
Thnx.

Cheers
hi all
i am getting a total of 23
di 13
qa 5.33
va 4.66
wanna know what is the percentile

75-80 percentile

PS: It was such a low scoring Mock. Was it really tough or was it just because it was the first Mock and the newbies were baffled?

cough....cough...Did anybody ask my rank.???

Topper#73

Ok. I'll shut it up.

Congrats Vamsi

yaar tell me 1 thing ....how are these CL Mock CATs compard to TIME AIMCATs ???
i mean which is tougher...& what is the estd. no. of ppl writing both....
so that a good estimation of one's postition can be done...

had posted the same query on previous page....nobody responded..actually meant for ppl who are writing both...

waiting for reply...

Hah this SIS things isnt showing the scores. Could any one post the highest sectional scores or the net scores. Any indicators.

@kaustubh Ankit has given a good indication there. I think it's not important whether X mock is tougher than Y or vice versa eventually all of them try to be as close as possible to the real CAT, and as far as the user base goes I really dont believe any of the institutes :). Put your hands on quality mocks and solve them....practice...practice :)

but still i feel there is much left to be done in my preparation ..... thora guide karo Mod bhai ... actually i used always get 25 + in VA with high accuracy

so wat else wud u suggest to increase the accuracy to atleast ur level of 72 % in ths mock ......... as i feel now a days IIMs do give call to ppl with higher accuracy ......

cheers

sachin

Hey guys!!!

this is what my score looks like!

EU: 31.33
DI& LR: 5.33
and.....

u simply CAN'T beat this one:

QUANT: 0

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

my scores ......

LR/DI - 20 (99.4)
QA- 16 (99.5)
VA/RC - 27 (98.

total- 63 (99.89)
AIR - 19

hi all
i am getting a total of 23
di 13
qa 5.33
va 4.66
wanna know what is the percentile