Chicago Booth Alumnus

21 Posts  ·  14 Users
About this group
All, I am a University of Chicago Booth School of Business alumnus and would like to answer any queries related to Chicago Booth. Also, any other queries related to MBA admissions process at top international business schools are welcome. ...
Page 1 of 3

@pdocmba

Hello Bhavya,

For an International candidate from India, with a 760+ in GMAT and good Academic+Extra curriculars and 4+ years of experience in IT industry, Does Booth offer any scholarships?

This question arises because of the inability to bear the tution fees cost. Does Booth offer scholarships or financial aid for prospective International Students on the basis of their need?

PGP 2014-16, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi,

I am Vikram from Mumbai,India .
I was wondering what you thought of my chances of getting into my target schools: Harvard,Wharton, Stanford or Booth based on my stats:

I am an Indian male 26 years old
GMAT- 730
MBA-Finance(2011) : 3.0/4.0
B.E (IT)(2009) : 62%
XII (2005) : 71%
X (2003) : 78%
CFA Level III Candidate.
Extra curriculum activities : Mountaineering, Field Sports, Have a started a NGO , which is into Education and Family upliftment. NGO has impacted life of more than 100 people in India since its inception in 2009.
Letter of Recommendations from 3 CFOs of Large Corporates are expected.

Work Experience: 3 Yrs in Leading Financial Company with a focus on Debt/Mezzanine funding.As part of the Credit Appraisal team, have been involved in recommending to the investment committee for about Rs 6 Billion into Infrastructure projects.

Do you think i am strong candidate for these schools,given the fact this is my second MBA attempt within 2 years of passing out from the first one.

Thanks
Vikram
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello Bhavya,

Can you kindly share your email id with me ? I'm close to putting together the package for Chicago Booth 2012 FT MBA. I've a few clarifications.

-Thanks
Anand

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Bhavya,
I am interested in Chicago-Booth FT-MBA. I am MBBS graduate with profile-
10th- 91%, 12th- 87%, MBBS- 56%
GMAT- 620 (QA 47, VA 30, AWA 4.0)
Work Exp- 8+ years both clinical as well as administration of big multi-specialty hospital.
EC- involved in community service for rural people.
Career goals- to join pharma companies post MBA.
Apart from these, I can get good reco.s from my supervisors.
Kindly comment on my chances.
Regards.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My answers are in-line below. Feel free to contact me or PM me if you need any help.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Booth)

Bhavya,

Appreciate you taking the time to guide prospective students. I had a few questions:

1. The Booth MBA website focuses a lot on their "flexible curriculum". Could you elaborate a bit more on this and your personal experience? Is there an academic commitee that guides students in picking out electives?

Booth has the most flexible curriculum in the world. I chose Chicago for this reason coz I did not want to waste time on subjects that I am not interested in. Other than 3 required core courses, you can choose the rest 17 courses and take them whenever you want over the course of 2 years. This flexibility was a big advantage for me and most of my peers. :cheerio:

2. Who would you say are some of the top professors for students interested in consulting/strategy?

Marc Knez - Competitive Strategy, Strategic Planning
Ann McGill/Sanjay Dhar - Marketing Strategy

3. What would be your advice for interview preparation?

Practise with as many mock interviews as possible. Utilize current students and alums for the same.
Hope this helps!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Bhavya,

Appreciate you taking the time to guide prospective students. I had a few questions:

1. The Booth MBA website focuses a lot on their "flexible curriculum". Could you elaborate a bit more on this and your personal experience? Is there an academic commitee that guides students in picking out electives?
2. Who would you say are some of the top professors for students interested in consulting/strategy?
3. What would be your advice for interview preparation?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Prashant,

You have a very good profile. I think you can target H/W/S. To be successful you need have a solid application (including essays, recos , resume). Remember the successful applications aren't just written right, but written right for a MBA Admissions committee.

Good Luck with the process. Let me know if you have further queries.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Chicago Booth)

Hi Bhavya,

I am applying in R2. I am CA with 4 yrs work ex with KPMG in their banking and financial services space.

GMAT 770
TOEFL 110

Decent acads. GPA of 3.7

EC: working with Akanksha an NGO focussed on education in Mumbai.

Should i apply to other top b schools like H/W/S?

Regards
Prashant
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Bhavya,

I am applying in R2. I am CA with 4 yrs work ex with KPMG in their banking and financial services space.

GMAT 770
TOEFL 110

Decent acads. GPA of 3.7

EC: working with Akanksha an NGO focussed on education in Mumbai.

Should i apply to other top b schools like H/W/S?

Regards
Prashant

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Andy, you are welcome. Let me know if I can be of any other help.

Good luck with the process.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Chicago Booth)

Bhavya,

Thanks again for a fair assessment of my chances. I will definitely work on my areas for improvement and will try to put out a solid package.

-Andy.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Bhavya,

Thanks again for a fair assessment of my chances. I will definitely work on my areas for improvement and will try to put out a solid package.

-Andy.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...