CGPA and its importance in B-School

20 Posts  ·  16 Users
About this group
Dear Puys I want to understand how CGPA is calculated in a B-school considering a batch of 120. The next question is on whether individual performance is the key factor for better CGPA or its a combined effort ( i guess shld not have asked ...
Page 1 of 2

It is easy for one to say CGPA doesn't matter, grades don't matter etc. But you need some way of selecting a candidate. One hour interviews hardly give you any information. Statement of purpose and recomendations can be faked. Certificates of having diverse things may be good. But then people start doing these diverse activities just for the sake of CV points and the whole point seems to be getting lost. That way CGPA is the most objective measure that at least measures student's sincerity, ability to apply himself and a basic level of intelligence.

PPOs are actually the best selection method. A company gets best idea of people only when they have them working for 2-3 months. Thats what happens in foriegn countries especially Europe. Most people do 2-3 internships before going for the final job. I feel thats the best model. We should also have a system of doing 2-3 internships spanning for a period of over 1.5-2 years during and after the MBA before the final job. But if that is not done, I think CGPA is best. Rest all subjective criteria is bakwas.

http://luciferhouseinc.blogspot.in/
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

speaking of NM & CGPA, this is what i observed....

CGPA, more stands on what kinds of impression you have in front of professors and can you mug up a lot & follow it in your paper ...

since professor control 50 marks out of 100, you need to be good in front of them (even if you dont mean it), which can be a case of impression management or a case of plain submissiveness ...

since exam covers rest of 50 marks & teachers clearly tells students which question has max chance to come & how they expect ans. to be written, this is basically takes away any creative freedom student has

so CGPA in my eyes, has least imp., as they don't prove anything other than you are good to follows given / written rules & procedures (maybe that's why marketing profiles dont give much imp. to CGPA as you need to be creative while in finance, you are supposed to follows written protocols pretty striclty )

Hi Puys,

We are having our summer week in NMIMS and the candidates do not have CGPA to display. Companies like Marico, ITC, Coke etc who have strong PPO policy are recruiting interns and finally 80% of the candidates get PPO. This boggles my mind how important is CGPA to these companies then.

Are CGPAs only a means to cut down the number of candidates applying or Do they really indicate knowledge level of the candidate? Summers in our college indicate that companies do not worry much about CGPA and hence shortlist candidates on resumes. The case may not be true for every institute in the country but is apparently true for majority of them.

An article by a leading photographer and consultant from IIM Calcutta cited "The main use of the degree ended the day I got the first job". Are degrees and CGPA meant for such short term goals not long term goals? The article "Can life be taught?"was published in Outlook 29 Sep edition.

Even some of the profs of ISB admit that ISB had to tweak its admit process in order to allign with education system in India. In Indian education system scores are given the most weightage hence you will find an increasing median GMAT score trend in ISB.

Everything that is assumed by society, student, corporate or education society might not be correct i.e. CGPA is the best means to measure a students calibre. Slowly many of the corporates might realize that CGPA mostly is indicative of theoretical knowledge and therefore we shall slowly find companies doing resume evaluation for selecting candidates of which CGPA will be a minor part (summers indicate so).

Had a session with B-School Recruitment head of CTS. He threw light on MBA Avenues in IT, Roles offered in IT and CTS in B-Schools. We also had a small case study.

He also went on to talk about non-individualized curriculum (where everyone is required to read the same set of subjects irrespective of his/her interest) in India and even in Higher Studies like MBA as a result of which CGPA does not reflect the calibre of an individual. He also touched upon the role of School and Parents in shaping the mindset of students giving higher preference to marks than to interest. Marking scheme is not activity based rather performance in the exam hence even though one studies hard but fails in exam he shall have a low CGPA and so the credibility of CGPA is put into question. He maintained that one needs to focus on his area of interest and needs to be good at it. CTS does not look into CGPA to a larger extent while shortlisting and selecting candidates.

I am of the same opinion.

Well. It is wrong to say CGPA is only exam based. At least not so at IIM-A. More than 50% of the marks are for class participation and submissions and presentations. And there are mid terms, end terms and quizzes. So if you have really been studying industriously, you can't screw up all of them.

CTS obviously can't look at CGPA because they won't get people with high CGPA, at least not from the top B Schools. The same CTS was claiming that they would hire only toppers 5-6 years back. Now they need people in large numbers at engineer leevel and it is not a preferred job for MBAs from top colleges. So obviously they had to give up the policy of hiring only toppers.

i m into second yr of MBA and from whtever i have seen it depends on your college because at the end you have to compete against your batchmates only.
in colleges like IIML it doesnt matters much bcoz profs are very strict. companies know tht bad grades doesnt mean tht guy isnt gud. However , if in general, ppl have gud CGPA in ur batch then a bad CGPA is presenting a negative point in interview. You wud be asked abt it and no numbers of b-skul competition wins/ paper presentations can defend tht. So its better tht if u dont wanna answer tht question then just have atleast an average CGPA. Extra curriculars are for decorating your CV and filling empty spaces. They can do their job only and cannot make ur CV on their own.

A very gud CGPA means that u wud get a shortlist from almost all the companies you apply to. In other words it gives u an opportunity to present yourself infront of the (dream) company u want to get in. An average CGPA might just prevent u from getting shortlisted in some of the big-shots ( Consult, I-banks and other Big fin companies)

Had a session with B-School Recruitment head of CTS. He threw light on MBA Avenues in IT, Roles offered in IT and CTS in B-Schools. We also had a small case study.

He also went on to talk about non-individualized curriculum (where everyone is required to read the same set of subjects irrespective of his/her interest) in India and even in Higher Studies like MBA as a result of which CGPA does not reflect the calibre of an individual. He also touched upon the role of School and Parents in shaping the mindset of students giving higher preference to marks than to interest. Marking scheme is not activity based rather performance in the exam hence even though one studies hard but fails in exam he shall have a low CGPA and so the credibility of CGPA is put into question. He maintained that one needs to focus on his area of interest and needs to be good at it. CTS does not look into CGPA to a larger extent while shortlisting and selecting candidates.

I am of the same opinion.

I am about two months old into my first year. And the perception i've got from seniors and staff is that CGPA is not of uttermost importance. Ofcourse one cannot ignore his CGPA totally, but as long as he is in the top half of the batch he is safe. I guess the recruiters look at what you are, what you have attained from the two years of study and what you have contributed to the college. Plus ofcourse, your past records. :smile:

In a general application for a job, your MBA is a diffrentiator. But within a B School you need other diffrentiators.

So CGPA is a defenite diffrentiator. If every one is getting around the same range, it will not be a diffrentiator. Extra curriculars is a diffrentiator. But if it is a simple prize in a event withhin college or a co-ordship in B School fest which everyone has then it is not a diffrentiator. Same with extra Fin exams. It is easy to get NCFM. Almost everyone has it. So not a diffrentiator. But CFA is costly and more difficult, So its a diffrentiator.

Again same with your eductional degrees and expereince. Economics and commerce CV will stand apart in a college full of engineers. Manufacturing workex will stand apart in a class full of IT guys. Say in a college like XIMB, if your BTech from IIT, its a big diffrentiator. But say your in IIM-A, where 25% of the batch is from IITs, it could even be a disadvantage to be an IITian.

Basically you shuld not be a "me too" and your CV should stand apart. If no one's CV is standing apart, best way is to arrange in descending order of CG and select the top 20-30.

11 likes
Thanks!!

Now I have one small question.
You can tell about any batch, your batch or last batch .
When students graduate and get their certificate how many students usually get 3.2+/4.0 in a batch of 250 students. Just to get an idea. like 60-70 people ?
This will give me complete picture.

that is exactly why I completed CFA level I this year.
Hope to complete CFA level II next June.
Then I will become CFA level III candidate.

I have seen this situation several times during engineering.
that means out of 65 students only 9-10 students get A grade
and in some cases only 2-3. Thats very bad. Prof should be more liberal in grading

you were saying that 3.6+ will take to DML. and there are only 10 people come into DML. So I thought.

You can say, some 120-130 will have 3.2+
The DML's list - 15 positions, not 10
Thanks!!

1. Varies from year to year and from school to school. In B, roughly 3.2/3.3+ and some good extra currics should give you a consult shortlist. For fin, 3.3+ and paper publications, relevant projects, onsite assignments etc.
Now I have one small question.
You can tell about any batch, your batch or last batch .
When students graduate and get their certificate how many students usually get 3.2+/4.0 in a batch of 250 students. Just to get an idea. like 60-70 people ?
This will give me complete picture.

2. Yes, it does.
that is exactly why I completed CFA level I this year.
Hope to complete CFA level II next June.
Then I will become CFA level III candidate.

3. No standard answer for this. A prior CFA may help you understand concepts faster, but by the time you reach the exam stage, you'll see almost everyone at the same level (and some 25% people on a different level altogether 😉 )
I have seen this situation several times during engineering.

The average class strength in B is around 62-65 per section, and we have 4 sections in the first year.
that means out of 65 students only 9-10 students get A grade
and in some cases only 2-3. Thats very bad. Prof should be more liberal in grading

P.S: I didn't understand your logic when you said only 10 people get a cg of 9/10.
you were saying that 3.6+ will take to DML. and there are only 10 people come into DML. So I thought.