Cat-the Source.

48 Posts  ·  71 Users
About this group
It may well help us to crack the CAT if we are able to identify the sources from which the CAT questions are derived. Especially in VA , it can help us understand what kind of reading we should focus on. Going forward I will try to post ...
Page 1 of 5

hey ppl.. how do i subscribe to this thread... ??

Go Get It!!
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
hi Tanveer,

i know u are a vivid reader . But have heard the the names of the book which are mentioned above while preparing for CAT . This is the first time i am hearing though

i lost the ticket to iims only because of this english section. :neutral:

buddy cat is not just about reading.
i would suggest that you analyse what and how the iims came up with the answers to the questions in english.

i remember when i was waiting for this years results, quite a few of my answers didnt tally with that of the coaching centres. and when results finally came out, i found that not only was i wrong, but even the coachings were wrong. So its a matter of understanding the logic behind the answer, and not just the answer.
pmtermination Says
I Am A Cat Aspirant. I Would Like To Know About The Good Books Available For Math And Rc.

Welcome to PG...

COntinue here:
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mathematical-books-for-cat-aspirants-25018668
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/books-for-cat-preparation-25010537
All the best.
Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!

I Am A Cat Aspirant. I Would Like To Know About The Good Books Available For Math And Rc.

It may well help us to crack the CAT if we are able to identify the sources from which the CAT questions are derived.

Especially in VA , it can help us understand what kind of reading we should focus on.

Going forward I will try to post as many examples of these sources as I can find!!

Regards
Tanveer

hello tanveer
im frm d same town u r frm .im taking coaching frm cl (gurgaon one).i dont knw how to go abt d verbal ability section.could u help me out?

hi Tanveer,

i know u are a vivid reader . But have heard the the names of the book which are mentioned above while preparing for CAT . This is the first time i am hearing though

i lost the ticket to iims only because of this english section. :neutral:

TEST FORM NUMBER 222
Q51 to Q53 Passage
The difficulties historian face in establishing cause-and-effect relations in the history
Source: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared M. Diamond
Q54- Q57
Jumbled Paragraph
Q54. In America, highly educated women, who are in stronger position
Source: Butterfly Economics: A New General Theory of Social and Economic Behavior by Paul Ormerod
Q57. I had six thousand acres of land, and had thus got much spare land besides the coffee plantation
Source : Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass by Isak Dinesen Page 9
Q58-Q60 Passage
To discover the relation between rules, paradigms, and normal science, consider first
how the historian isolates the particular loci of commitment that have just been
described as accepted rules. Close historical investigation of a given specialty at a
given time discloses a set of recurrent and quasi-standard illustrations of various
theories in their conceptual, observational, and instrumental applications. These are the
community's paradigms, revealed in its textbooks, lectures, and laboratory exercises. By
studying them and by practicing with them, the members of the corresponding
community learn their trade. The historian, of course, will discover in addition a
penumbral area occupied by achievements whose status is still in doubt, but the core of
solved problems and techniques will usually be clear. Despite occasional ambiguities,
the paradigms of a mature scientific community can be determined with relative ease.
The determination of shared paradigms is not, however, the determination of shared
rules.
That demands a second step and one of a somewhat different kind. When
undertaking it, the historian must compare the community's paradigms with each other
and with its current research reports. In doing so, his object is to discover what isolable
elements, explicit or implicit, the members of that community may have abstracted from
their more global paradigms and deployed as rules in their research. Anyone who has
attempted to describe or analyze the evolution of a particular scientific tradition will
necessarily have sought accepted principles and rules of this sort. Almost certainly, as
the preceding section indicates, he will have met with at least partial success. But, if his
experience has been at all like my own, he will have found the search for rules both
more difficult and less satisfying than the search for paradigms. Some of the
generalizations he employs to describe the community's shared beliefs will present no
problems. Others, however, in eluding some of those used as illustrations above, will
seem a shade too strong. Phrased in just that way, or in any other way he can imagine,
they would almost certainly have been rejected by some members of the group he
studies. Nevertheless, if the coherence of the research tradition is to be understood in
terms of rules, some specification of common ground in the corresponding area is
needed. As a result, the search for a body of rules competent to constitute a given
normal research tradition becomes a source of continual and deep frustration.
Recognizing that frustration, however, makes it possible to diagnose its source.
Scientists can agree that a Newton, Lavoisier, Maxwell, or Einstein has produced an
apparently permanent solution to a group of outstanding problems and still disagree,
sometimes without being aware of it, about the particular abstract characteristics that
make those solutions permanent. They can, that is, agree in their identification of a
paradigm without agreeing on, or even attempting to produce, a full interpretation or
rationalization of it. Lack of a standard interpretation or of an agreed reduction to rules
will not prevent a paradigm from guiding research. Normal science can be determined in
part by the direct inspection of paradigms, a process that is often aided by but does not
depend upon the formulation of rules and assumptions. Indeed, the existence of a
paradigm need not even imply that any full set of rules exists.
Source: Page 43 THE STRUCTURE OF SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTIONS, Thomas S. Kuhn
Online version :
Click Here
Q61- Q63 Sentence or part of sentence that is/are incorrect
Q61. When I returned home, I began to read everything I could get my hands on about Israel. That same year, Israel's Jewish Agency sent a shaliach, a sort of roving ambassador and recruiter, to Minneapolis for the first time. I became one of his most active devotees -- organizing everything from Israeli fairs to demonstrations. He arranged for me to spend all three summers of high school living on Kibbutz Hahotrim, an Israeli collective farm on the coast just south of Haifa.
Excerpt from...
From Beirut to Jerusalem
Source URL: http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/beirutprelude.htm
Q62. So once an economy is actually in recession, the authorities can, in principle, move the economy out of slump
Source: Butterfly Economics: A New General Theory of Social and Economic Behavior by Paul Ormerod
Page: 139
Q63. It is sometimes told that democratic government originated in the city-states
Source: Concepts and Theories of Modern Democracy by Anthony H Birch
Q64-Q66 Passage
Every civilized society lives and thrives on a silent but profound agreement as to what is to be accepted as the valid mould of experience
Disinherited Mind: Essays in Modern German Literature and Thought by Erich Heller
Page: 279
Sentence complete in a paragraph.
Q67.
Characters are also part of deep structure. Characters tie events in a story together and provide a thread of continuity and meaning
Source: Building Process Theory with Narrative: From Description to Explanation
Brian T. Pentland
The Academy of Management Review
Q68. Nevertheless, photographs still remain some of the magical allure that the earliest
Source: Looking Closer 5: Critical Writings on Graphic Design by Michael Beirut, William Drenttel, and Steven Heller
Page: 50
Preview is available on Google books:
Click Here
Q69. The Daddy Mma Ramotswe had a detective agency in Africa, at the foot of Kgale Hill. These were its assets: a tiny white van, two desks, two chairs, a telephone, and an old typewriter. Then there was a teapot, in which Mma Ramotswe--the only lady private detective in Botswana--brewed redbush tea. And three mugs--one for herself, one for her secretary, and one for the client. What else does a detective agency really need? Detective agencies rely on human intuition and intelligence, both of which Mma Ramotswe had in abundance. No inventory would ever include those, of course
Source: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Chapter 1
You can read Excerpt @
http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/1400031346.html
Question 70-72 Passage:
Human Biology does nothing to structure human society. Age may enfeeble us all, but cultures vary considerably
Sociology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Steve Bruce
Source: CAT4mba.com
http://bit.do/prepforlife
Hey can we all make some effort to put some quality material from Guardian/ Washington post in this thread......I think that ll save time for others...
we can do it in turns....What say !!!

great idea....

Hey can we all make some effort to put some quality material from Guardian/ Washington post in this thread......I think that ll save time for others...
we can do it in turns....What say !!!

Heya ,
This website has good articles regarding science fiction studies. It helps as there are reviews on particular theme across books or the review of themes by the author !!!
Science Fiction Studies is published three times a year