CAT 2009 : 2nd Dec ( Day 5 ) Exam Experiences

192 Posts  ·  188 Users
About this group
Hi puys, I am starting this thread for the 5th day i.e. December 2, 2009. To make sure the guidelines are adhered to, we will keep this thread where everyone can share their experiences in the following format. So let us hear out from the p...
Page 1 of 20
I had my exam at RVIM,bangalore @ 10:00AM

1) How many attempts you have made?
I hv made 56 attempts
VA:20
QA:16 ... my strength
LR/DI-20

OA :56

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at the
Mock Scores Repository (Mock Scores Repository 2009!), please provide the link here.
Last SIMCAT score 99.98%ile (SC7)
AIMCAT ( range too much : 78 - 99) AC1023 - 92
CL also da same (70 - 99) PC7 - 97
Test Funda ( 0916 : 98+)

3) How was your experience of the test?
Centre was RVIM morning shift.Smooth as in "smooth criminal".No glitches.

4) What was the surprise element for you?

Quant on a tougher side.VA was easy.DI same as all d days.Calculation intesive.One who are good at speed calculation have an edge (My opinion).
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
DO not go with any preconceived notions abt the toughness of exam and don't retrospect too much on the problems faced by others in da exam.Keep ur cool.Give some rest to your eyes da night before.Go to the loo before starting ur test.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.
I feel paper was easy as compared to last years CAT.
Difficulty level is different for all.Its relative.I found Quant tough.Some may find Verbal tough.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.
The Questions which had mistakes how would IIM take inso consideration those questions.

ADB to all

cheers!!!!
Ayan
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Yesterday,i had my exam at jaipuria institute,noida at 3:30 pm

I hv made 45 attempts
VA:15
QA:15
LR/DI-15

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at the
Mock Scores Repository (Mock Scores Repository 2009!), please provide the link here.
Last SIMCAT score 85 percentile

Centre was apeejay college of mangement morning shift. After giving the CAT and tension passing off u could check the gals of the college.

VA on a tougher side specially RC's really good1's
DO not go with any preconceived notions abt the toughness of exam .I found DI easy but rechecked my initial answers after hearing all the analysis of DI being tough

I feel paper was easy as compared to last years CAT

The Questions which had mistakes how would IIM take inso consideration those questions.

I rem 1 question some data was mising to solve the question so who takes care of such things.

after exam had a party with friends and got drunk :drinking:

hey puys
i cud attempt jus 30 que. my prep was good and was pretty confident but have no idea wat went wrong.
QA 10
DI 10
VA 10
Now as we have seen till last years cat an attempt of around 50 to 60 percent was pretty good but this year ppl are attempting a staggering 80 to 90 percent. does tht mean tht the level of CAT has gone very low or can we expect IIMs to come out with some surprise.

Need a miracle badly. If there is GOD please show me ur presence..
all the best to u guys..

Hi Folks...
My experience of CAT 09 was much better than what I expected..
Exam centre-MH Saboo Siddiqui College of Engineering,Mumbai..
There was a problem with my computer;as I clicked on NEXT after solving 1st question,the computer hanged for nearly 5-6 minutes,n the TIMER was on...so I got nearly 6-7 mins less to solve...didn't complain though...!!

DI seemed to be Bit Lengthy But scoring..
Quant was Very easy...infact 3 questions were such that I solved them in 30-35 seconds(per question)..
VA-RC was something which seemed to be challenging n confusing too..
RC's were tough for me to crack...

My attempts :
Quant-13
DI-12
VA-14..

Initially I thought my attempts were enough to get a gud score even if There's a 90 % accuracy..
But reading the posts on Pagalguy is makin feel that I m lagging behind in my attempts...confidence is bit low now..

Tip : Plz carry a sweater if u going to this exam centre...dis LAB is chilling..

Hi...

All the cry abt a mis-managed cat and the debate about level of questions is never gonna end i guess....

point taken.....an original one indeed....

I was just wondering, if CAT indeed goes in the lines of GRE/GMAT entrance exams (High scoring, easy papers), then what's the point in conducting CAT every year ? They can just accept the GMAT/GRE scores and get the admission done.

And no-one is actually crying for the level of questions I guess ( most of them are smiling, cos who in their wildest imagination would have expected that more than half the people will attempt above 75 % of the paper easily ) , but the mismanagement was indeed there, and still may be going on, who knows.
There's no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark
Hi...

I think the top Coaching institutes who are now out with grievance sections,and are writing letters to IIM directors for a re-exam, they are equally at fault..they were in the first place completely wrong in judging the CAT this year...and this is a major cause for the level of dissatisfaction among students who went through over the head preparations and mock cats this year.

A very nice point indeed.
However the point to be noted is that other big exams like XAT, FMS etc surely need some preparation if you are aiming for the XLs and the FMSes..
So yes..CAT turned out to be a damp squib. But the preparations will come in handy for other exams. And you'll never know what went on in the minds of the paper setters of CAT. Perhaps they wanted to make the transition easy for the students.Perhaps next year it will be tough.
Don think we can make any assumptions based on this year's CAT, certainly not now. Lets wait for another 2 years before we can safely assume that the IIMs have indeed gone the Ivy schools' way.
By the way the coaching centres always go overboard when it comes to mocks. Thats the only way they can meet their revenue targets!!

i totally agree with you varunrajani!

In my opinion it is good that the questions r now solvable in the prescribed time! It boosts the confidence of the student! Just like GRE and GMAT, high scoring is the new mantra of the new CAT! and PC based tests r fun! if one can read unlimited scraps and posts and take quizes on facebook/orjut...sure he/she can easily read a passage on a PC. folks crying that it is difficult is just BS! The amount of monetary saving and environmental saving is very huge coz of discontinuation of paper-based test. Just be focused folks and u will b a winner!

\m/ peace!

@ ChemicaliMohit.

I guess you have not understood what varunrajani has mentioned in his post.
Nobody is crying over the move to go computer based. If that were the case then there should ve been a big hue and cry as soon as the IIMs announced that they will go online.The only cause for concern, and a very major one in that, is the way the exam is being conducted.

i totally agree with you varunrajani!

In my opinion it is good that the questions r now solvable in the prescribed time! It boosts the confidence of the student! Just like GRE and GMAT, high scoring is the new mantra of the new CAT! and PC based tests r fun! if one can read unlimited scraps and posts and take quizes on facebook/orjut...sure he/she can easily read a passage on a PC. folks crying that it is difficult is just BS! The amount of monetary saving and environmental saving is very huge coz of discontinuation of paper-based test. Just be focused folks and u will b a winner!

\m/ peace!

Hi...

All the cry abt a mis-managed cat and the debate about level of questions is never gonna end i guess....

After givin cat yesterday, i realised something which has not been discussed as yet... The role of coaching institutes in judging this year's cat.

I think the top Coaching institutes who are now out with grievance sections,and are writing letters to IIM directors for a re-exam, they are equally at fault..they were in the first place completely wrong in judging the CAT this year...and this is a major cause for the level of dissatisfaction among students who went through over the head preparations and mock cats this year.

Those who appeared for AIMCATS ,SIMCATS etc will agree that the level of difficulty and the depth of questions was in line with the thought that as the number of Q's are decreasing the level difficulty will go up. Also, as with the past years, a 33% + score would be enough to get a call. And so throughout the year majority of the students prepared for this scenario of cat as prescribed by top coaching institutes.They could not judge that cat might take the GMAT GRE route of high scoring exams with focus on accuracy. They prepared the crowd for a super "CAT" with just 60 questions which will be way to difficult to solve and blah and blah...If u remember the DI sets that came in the AIMCATS, the Quant of SIMCATS, u will know what i mean...Its out now that these top coaches got it all wrong this year...Which is one of the prime reasons the students are feeling kind of being cheated,that they prepared so well for a real tuff and head wrecking cat but whats put out is something totally easy and doable by common sense.

I also know people who asked students to focus on last 10 years CAT questions. They are the happiest today.

May be the IIM's thought there is no point in putting out papers which have 60% questions which are not meant to be solved ,rather avoided.May be they want to take the admissions scene to a level where the CAT score have very less weightage as compared to "Profile" and essays just like the ivy leagues, this is perhaps the first step to that dream.

I gave CAT yesterday.. Was good for me:

Overall 49 attempts
DI-18
VA-17
QA-14

My take is that if my accuracy turns out to be say 90% i might get some IIMS calling.

" Let it roll Baby roll...."

Yesterday,i had my exam at jaipuria institute,noida at 3:30 pm

I hv made 37 attempts
VA:8
QA:13
LR/DI-16

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at the Mock Scores Repository (Mock Scores Repository 2009!), please provide the link here.
I hv given TIME AIMCATs ,i got between 60-80 percentile in AIMCATs

Great,Guys from prometric were Very helpfull

NO...

Just listen to Proctor CAREfully...

I feel exam ws not that tough as compared to previous yr CAT

I would like to suggest that Please be carefull of QUIT and END test button,they will just end your exam without confirmation.....

Even I had faced the same problem in one of the question in LR when I appeared on 30 Nov.Dont worry,wait for some more surprises.