Cat 2006: Help Desk

50 Posts  ·  23 Users
About this group
Hi there I am currently studying at IIM-Bangalore ... By now most of u must have got all sorts of gyaan from people and coaching class .... All of ur prep must be in full swing ... anybody if at all require any suggestion ,I will try and help you ...
Page 1 of 5

puyz as welll as studds please suggest some strato for qa....nothing seems to be working in this section....i have formed stratos for di nd va which look decent thou...but i badly need some strato for qa...

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
arkuscaesar Says
Thanks..I thought i'd pop in to say keep going dude....just make sure you keep your mind cleared of clutter and stress during the two hours of the test..formulate a plan and stick to it within minor variations..plan out a best case scenarion and a worst case scenarion for those two hours and be mentally equipoised to accept anything within that range ( typiclly 3-4 marks plus or minus the average of your top three score..no scientific basis to this, just something that did wonders for me!!)...IMHO preparation is fine but being aptitude tests even with zero prep ( and I gave CAT thrice with almost zero prep) as long as your mind is calm good scores (and i mean really good scores) are a definite possibility..if it's any consolation i'll tell you my scores ( 1st shot:98.63; 2nd shot: 98.81; 3rd shot; 99.7) all these are with almost zero prep...the caveat and blaancing fine point to my advice is that I have precisely zero IIM calls from my three CAT attemptsa because of missing sectional splits and that's why preparation becomes crucial...returning to my main theme, i know of a lot of my friends who did crack the CAt without too muchb prep..so it's possible(but don't chance it) and therefor think positive and crack that billi this year!

thanx buddy...
The0ne Says
no replies for this one..so i thot i shd myself scribble smthing...last sunday gave time aimcat without ne preparation coz last week was hectic..but was bound not to get bogged down by the paper..thank god the paper was easy..i scored 90%..with almost 0 preparation for 4 days b4 xams...this has now boosted me a bit.....i m pulling up my sox now...hope to continue the enthu wid prep..nd keep fingers xed...

Thanks..I thought i'd pop in to say keep going dude....just make sure you keep your mind cleared of clutter and stress during the two hours of the test..formulate a plan and stick to it within minor variations..plan out a best case scenarion and a worst case scenarion for those two hours and be mentally equipoised to accept anything within that range ( typiclly 3-4 marks plus or minus the average of your top three score..no scientific basis to this, just something that did wonders for me!!)...IMHO preparation is fine but being aptitude tests even with zero prep ( and I gave CAT thrice with almost zero prep) as long as your mind is calm good scores (and i mean really good scores) are a definite possibility..if it's any consolation i'll tell you my scores ( 1st shot:98.63; 2nd shot: 98.81; 3rd shot; 99.7) all these are with almost zero prep...the caveat and blaancing fine point to my advice is that I have precisely zero IIM calls from my three CAT attemptsa because of missing sectional splits and that's why preparation becomes crucial...returning to my main theme, i know of a lot of my friends who did crack the CAt without too muchb prep..so it's possible(but don't chance it) and therefor think positive and crack that billi this year!
You can't cross a wide chasm with two small leaps
following the advice of bobbybond i hv decided not to buy think without ink..i will practise nd try to develop my own shortcut...there is no shortcut to success...
one more prblm ppl...i hv joined CL nd TIME test series.. in CL my performance is ok not good in 92% consistently but in time its way fluctuating...rangin from 70% to 92%...especially if i score 92% or so in one aimcat of TIME i screw up badly in the next...my analyses says that whenever the paper is tough i score pretty well in TIME aimcat..but when the paper is OK..i screw up..coz i feel that ther e is some missing link or approach which ppl with good scores know..which i m still to discover...i know loads of practise is needed for it...
but the aftermath is despite being ok in CL, i m currently on a lowdown coz of TIME scores..i feel like leaving the preparation aside..last week has been hectic for me with zero cat prep...i became chacha...i m not able to balance my prep nd sentiments(emotional)...
junta it would be very helpful if sm1 gives advice on this...this is my third take on cat last year i score 94%...still i feel the prep is going noway cloze..

no replies for this one..so i thot i shd myself scribble smthing...last sunday gave time aimcat without ne preparation coz last week was hectic..but was bound not to get bogged down by the paper..thank god the paper was easy..i scored 90%..with almost 0 preparation for 4 days b4 xams...this has now boosted me a bit.....i m pulling up my sox now...hope to continue the enthu wid prep..nd keep fingers xed...

following the advice of bobbybond i hv decided not to buy think without ink..i will practise nd try to develop my own shortcut...there is no shortcut to success...
one more prblm ppl...i hv joined CL nd TIME test series.. in CL my performance is ok not good in 92% consistently but in time its way fluctuating...rangin from 70% to 92%...especially if i score 92% or so in one aimcat of TIME i screw up badly in the next...my analyses says that whenever the paper is tough i score pretty well in TIME aimcat..but when the paper is OK..i screw up..coz i feel that ther e is some missing link or approach which ppl with good scores know..which i m still to discover...i know loads of practise is needed for it...
but the aftermath is despite being ok in CL, i m currently on a lowdown coz of TIME scores..i feel like leaving the preparation aside..last week has been hectic for me with zero cat prep...i became chacha...i m not able to balance my prep nd sentiments(emotional)...
junta it would be very helpful if sm1 gives advice on this...this is my third take on cat last year i score 94%...still i feel the prep is going noway cloze..

Vishy,

Let me tell you my stand first.I'm telling this based on assumption that
u hav gone for coaching and attempting mocks.

1.u would have some 750 pages study material
2.CAT previous papers
3. Mocks from insti and PG
4.Sectianal Test Material
5.Of cours downloads from gauvrav's section

R u able to complete those whole heartedly with porper
efforts.IF u hav completed then i dont find a reason why u shd go for that
Even if u dotn finish that i dont find a reason bcoz ur with lot of work ahead.
I'm not against that "THink Without Ink".Its my personal opinion.

Moreover trying the speed calc techniques shd be done earlier.I'm not a
CAT veteran but this wht i have heard from my frenz.I think this is not the right
time to get that book.
If u think that inspite of all the above that book make a diff
definitely u may buy.

I go for No buy,exhaust what u hav. ..

PS:Some of u might have got benifited from the book.Hope this doesnt hurt u.

cheers,
seshadri.r

Think Without Ink by Venkatraman - Buy nor No buy ?

How good is this book , can anyone please give some tip ?

Cheers
Nish

I'm not sure if iim's are that strict while issuing hall tickets. My take is that verification will be done only during the time of invterview calls.

Don't bother about it. Continue focussing on ur prep.

hey guyz, just a small query.
i'm currently studying in nsit. our university (DU) had issued us our 5th sem marksheets only in the first week of september. by that time most of us had already dispatched our cat forms with 4th sem marksheets. now the thing is that we've been hearing that our forms may get rejected because we haven't attached the latest marksheet.
1. will there be a problem like this?
2. if so, do the iims give us a chance to furnish the missing docs from our applications be4 rejecting them??

Thanx

'Think without ink' - have heard about it, but i didn't use it for prep. They way u prepare for Quant is by preparing a list of shortcuts every time u come acorss a problem. Try to develop your own shortcuts. The readymade shortcuts provided in the books are not enough.

Group vs Individual. It depends on ur style. For me it was individual work. If u really are motivated enough, u can crack it by urself, however if u feel u need motivation, then u could form a group, but make sure u have equally dedicated ppl in ur group.

thanx buddies...kudos once again for the gr8 wrk nd time out frm ur busy schedules...