Career Switch into Finance (after US MBA)

3 Posts  ·  2 Users
About this group
Hi Guys I have admits from 2 colleges. [ GeorgeTown with zero aid and Freeman with a huge aid..Freeman is good for finance.... ] I want to get into Finance, [ Investment Banking - > Corporate Finance or Equity Research ] Now I have ...
Page 1 of 1

A valid question, don't you think? A typical cost of a good to excellent MBA in the USA, UK or even Australia would cost you two years of your life and about USD100,000 of your life savings (assuming you didn't manage to swing your company to foot the bill). This, on top of the two years' worth of income you would forgo pursuing the pinnacle of education, as some might view the MBA. It might serve one well to look into whether this is all worth it.

I had kicked around with the idea of an MBA years ago, fresh out of university and getting "jaded" with my one year of work experience. I looked through a mountain of material from all the top universities around the world. I sat for the GMAT test. I looked into scholarships. I wrote bogus essays. I chatted on online MBA forums. You name it; I did it. But in the end, I didn't go. Why? Firstly, I discovered that I didn't really want an education, more than a chance to get overseas to do something else than work. Secondly, I got a job offer that allowed me to explore what I really wanted to do only, I'd get paid for it and gain some valuable real-life experience.

There have been many debates on the merits of doing an MBA. Certain studies have shown that the MBA is at risk of becoming irrelevant. Most potential MBA-ites view it as an instant recipe to a high-flying career and a fat paycheck. There are definitely questions that are worth exploring before you make this leap.
==============================
Turbo Charger
Nissan navara leasing

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Guys

Any thoughts?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Guys

I have admits from 2 colleges. [ GeorgeTown with zero aid and Freeman with a huge aid..Freeman is good for finance.... ]

I want to get into Finance, [ Investment Banking - > Corporate Finance or Equity Research ]

Now I have 2.5 years of work ex... In IT... So no work exp in the finance sector...
I am worried about job prospects [ since I have no finance related work exp ]
Are there any people here, who have a similar profile... who are looking to shift into finance without any related work exp....

Plus there is the H1B problem [ the OPT extension is not valid for MBAs ]
Recession is not my major concern as US is expected to start recovering by the year end.....

I have posted this query here so that I can get inputs from people going to USA this year...and also from people who are already there in the 2nd year of their MBA....

Karthik

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...