Career Suggestion

1 Post  ·  1 User
About this group
Hello EveryoneI would like some of the gurus to suggest me on what my next step before doing an MBA should be. I am an Engineer(Mechanical), working in the US for the past 12 years as a Software Engineer. I would like to do an MBA. Finance...
Page 1 of 1

Hello Everyone

I would like some of the gurus to suggest me on what my next step before doing an MBA should be.

I am an Engineer(Mechanical), working in the US for the past 12 years as a Software Engineer. I would like to do an MBA. Finance is an area of interest for me, but I dont have the necessary prerequisites for doing an MBA in finance. I dont even know the lingo as basic as balance sheet. I know what literally it means. But in the context of accounting and finance, I dont. But I am willing to start afresh and learn from the basics. So, what should be my first step. I have given myself 2 years before I decide to take the GMAT and then apply for an MBA. During these two years, what should I be doing to get the knowledge or the basics of finance. Books, videos, study material, anything, I am willing to start from basics. Someone suggested doing CFA. I honestly dont even think I qualify to spell CFA. CFA is far from reality at this time. May be in two years I will be ready for that as well.

I am a stay home mom and because of a new born I have decided to stay home for the next two years. But I would like to use these two years constructively to make a career change.

I know many in here may have come from a background similar to mine. You may not have been an engineer but you may have been something other than a finance person. But you may have started some place and now you probably are good at accounting and finance. Can you please suggest where I should start. What tentative path should I take?

Some may ask why let go of the 12 years of experience. I can never let go of it for sure. It probably is in my blood now. But having the finance feather in my cap to begin with will open up areas for me that I would be passionate in exploring.

Please help me as I am sure I will not be in a position to think of a career change 5 years from now. I would be too old then and may not be in a position to replan. So I am hoping I will get the correct guidance so I dont have to consider replanning at a later stage.

Thanks so much
Shireen
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...