Career options for Retired Engineer - Plz suggest

13 Posts  ·  7 Users
About this group
hi, I am posting this on behalf of my uncle. He got retired from State Electricity board some 2 years back, but now feels he should utilize his time somewhere. He retired as a Chief Engineer(one of very high posts in state elec depts) fro...
Page 1 of 2

Lot of big companies do business with State Electricity Boards. He will be assest for those companies.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
hi rajat,

thanks for your suggestions!!

yeah this is also a very good option, but his age is presently 62, will that be a hindrance when he looks for job after this program??
Also can you tell me if these exec. programs offer coampus placements??

Yaa they do offer campus placements and they are quite good too..bt at your uncles age I am not sure if this would be the right program for him.
I think his particular program was specially for Armed Froces personnel so it was highly subsidized.And everybody in the batch had a workex of 10yrs+.
I have no idea about other programs.

hi rajat,

thanks for your suggestions!!

yeah this is also a very good option, but his age is presently 62, will that be a hindrance when he looks for job after this program??
Also can you tell me if these exec. programs offer coampus placements??
hi rajat , how much does this mdi programme cost ? & can u plzz tell me wat is the avg. age of this batch (MDI Gurgoan excecutive education program)

thanks
:) 😃 :)

I think his particular program was specially for Armed Froces personnel so it was highly subsidized.And everybody in the batch had a workex of 10yrs+.
I have no idea about other programs.
He could enroll for one of the Executive education programs.
The benefits would be two fold firstly he woul get in touch with the latest management concepts and secondly these institutes run good placement services.
My dad retired from the Armed Forces with an experience of 25 years and then join MDI Gurgoan excecutive education program for 6 months.He is now working as the Head -Retail Operations at HCL.The highest offer in his batch was 32 Lakhs p.a.

hi rajat , how much does this mdi programme cost ? & can u plzz tell me wat is the avg. age of this batch (MDI Gurgoan excecutive education program)

thanks
:) 😃 😃

He could enroll for one of the Executive education programs.
The benefits would be two fold firstly he woul get in touch with the latest management concepts and secondly these institutes run good placement services.
My dad retired from the Armed Forces with an experience of 25 years and then joined MDI Gurgoan excecutive education program for 6 months.He is now working as the Head -Retail Operations at HCL.The highest offer in his batch was 32 Lakhs p.a.

He shud try for Reliance Energy,Tata Power,Cairn Energy and many such private players.I guess all the major power plants or Manufacturing Units can well use his experience.
BTW,Kudos to the spirit of ur Uncle...who has the zeal to work even 35 after 35 yrs of experience.

but how to approach these companies for applying...should he consider hiring a consultanat or should he directly write to the HR...
Correct me If I'm wrong, but for a Chief Engineer, a very critical asset would be their knowledge of how to work around the red tape in a lot of areas If you look around, there are quite a few hand-holding India-entry firms that assist companies in setting up Indian offices. Am sure his knowledge and network would come more than handy for companies looking to enter that sector. And yea, his Project Management skills could come more than handy, after giving it a structure, in MBA classrooms... :)

Cheers

yeah u r right, since a chief engineer is knid of head of that department he has all the project managemnet skills and also knows how everything is setup and since he rose to that position over the years he also knows all the finer details.....
but actually since he never had any contactsin the private sector thus he wants to know how to enter it and apply forthe same....
also for 2 years now he has not been working, will this affeect his chances??
hi,

I am posting this on behalf of my uncle.
He got retired from State Electricity board some 2 years back, but now feels he should utilize his time somewhere.
He retired as a Chief Engineer(one of very high posts in state elec depts) from State Electricity board and has 34.5 years exp

Though he has worked in power utility, but exp in management, manpower(HR) dealing, policy making, purchases/contracts, dealing with public, personnel legal cases etc.
Technical exp in electricity distribution, transmission and power generation.
Can handle well all above due to extensive exp

Just wanted to get suggestion from all you people over there on how he can go about applying to this corporate world and what all can he look for actually, i mean what position and type of work can he look for.

All Suggestions are really welcome.

Thanks

Correct me If I'm wrong, but for a Chief Engineer, a very critical asset would be their knowledge of how to work around the red tape in a lot of areas If you look around, there are quite a few hand-holding India-entry firms that assist companies in setting up Indian offices. Am sure his knowledge and network would come more than handy for companies looking to enter that sector. And yea, his Project Management skills could come more than handy, after giving it a structure, in MBA classrooms... :)

Cheers
|| Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity ||
yeah thats one of the first steps:) ...... more suggestions are welcome :)

Also what all can he expect, i mean what kind of work and position...i am sure there are many people over here who must have seen people with similar profile somewhere.....

He shud try for Reliance Energy,Tata Power,Cairn Energy and many such private players.I guess all the major power plants or Manufacturing Units can well use his experience.
BTW,Kudos to the spirit of ur Uncle...who has the zeal to work even 35 after 35 yrs of experience.