Career in NGO

5 Posts  ·  5 Users
About this group
hi all, I would like to get some information on NGOs especially in Pune. I don't want to volunteer, I want to take it up as a career. ash1.
Page 1 of 1

Seems like a very old thread that's been brought back to life.

But considering the relevance of this career option in the current day and age, I'd like to share my thoughts, hoping it'll trigger the thought process in a few more minds.

Most NGOs worth their salt are beginning to realise that the traditional concept of being overly dependant on donations and endowments isn't enough for sustaining their operations in the long run. So many of them are in the process of transforming themselves, much like entities that operate in the Corporate world.

If you really look at it, NGOs in essence aren't too different from regular companies. There is a product or a service they provide, they operate in an environment that is subject to the dynamics of customers, suppliers, regulators, economic variations, the works.

This means they have to seek out skills across various functions - finance, marketing, operations, technology, general management. And to get them they are willing to pay the price.

Though the payscales aren't yet exactly at corporate levels (yet), they are slowly but steadily bridging the gap. In return they'd expect the same level of commitment, if not more that you'd be willing to put in for regular corporates.

If you have skills in any specific area, you might want to talk to a few established NGOs in your area to get a feel of how the whole thing works. Take it one step at a time. Convince yourself that this is what you want.

Like any other field, it'll help you tremendously, if you are really passionate about the work done by NGOs active in a specific field.

You've taken the first step in considering this as a serious career option. And that's a great start.

All the best.

Founder - MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hey ash!
i too want to take ngo as a career but i'm not gettin any thread or information regardin this .pls ................let me know if u've any information.

merry

Thanks a lot Roshan..

Hey ash,

I dont think anyone will reply to your post. Thats because you havent gone through the forum yet. I assume your new to the forum so I suggest you visit the "Touching Lives" section. You'll find a lot of thread here and people with similar interest.

I am volunteerin with Dream A Dream in Bangalore. Let me know if you want to know more. Check it out at Dream A Dream

Take Care.

Regards,

Roshan

ISB CO 2011 | Upgrade your life | www.bettermentacademy.com

hi all,

I would like to get some information on NGOs especially in Pune. I don't want to volunteer, I want to take it up as a career.

ash1.