Career in Financial Risk Management

4 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
Hi All, Well , i am starting this thread on risk management to build upon my knowledge in this upcoming field of Financial Risk Management. To begin with , i am a first year student from VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur & am going to do my summers next y...
Page 1 of 1

Hi,
I"m Vicky and currently working for top Indian IT services company. I want to know about Risk Management..It would be nice if you can share your view and opinion. It would help me in understanding the work and scope better.

1. How much Risk Management Department important in IT services company?
2. What is typical day to day activity - ?
3. Is it possible to enter into M&A; , strategy department later on?
4. Any specific certification required to excel in the field?
5. It would be great if you can share your exp and views.

Looking forward for your reply at earliest.

Thanks in advance !!!

Regards
Vicky

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

FRM-GARP has an competing alternative body called PRMIA (Professional Risk Managers International Association ). a gud link for comparison and contrast.
GARP vs. PRMIA: Is There A Difference?

those interested chk Financial Engineering News, free bimonthly print publication also.

Hi All,

Well , i am starting this thread on risk management to build upon my knowledge in this upcoming field of Financial Risk Management. To begin with , i am a first year student from VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur & am going to do my summers next year for 6 months at HSBC Analytics & already have a 2 year IT experience in Database management field (SQL Server)at Infosys Tech. ltd.

Well i want to enhance my knowledge in the financial domain & as such will like to know that will it be advisable to go for the CFA certification in June 2007 along with my regular MBA studies or shall i go for these certifications , once i enter into a full time job. Also will like to know the relevance of CFA for risk management

Expert opinions awaited, thick & fast.

Regards,
Sandeep

Well with what little knowledge I have on the subject (I work on an Equity Derivatives profile with a Financial services KPO) .
CFA program is geared towards ppl with an interest in Investment Management this means primarily working for buy side firms like Hedge funds ,Mutual Funds ,Asset Management firms etc.For ppl in I Banks it might be useful if you are involved in Equity Research.
Otherwise if you are interested in a career in Risk Management which is a highly Quantitative Field you would be better off doing the F.R.M (Financial Risk Manager).I know about some of my frnds in the IIMs who are taking the FRM in their 2nd year.
In India many of the I Banking captives offer profiles in Risk management but an MBA does not offer any particular advantage ,mostly they expect you to have very good quantitative skills .Many of my friends with a stint in Analytics companies have managed to get into the Risk Management profiles offered by I Bank captives.
Also if you are seriously looking into this career it would be wise to brush up your Stats concepts because thats what will take up most of your time once you enter this profession.

Hi All,

Well , i am starting this thread on risk management to build upon my knowledge in this upcoming field of Financial Risk Management. To begin with , i am a first year student from VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur & am going to do my summers next year for 6 months at HSBC Analytics & already have a 2 year IT experience in Database management field (SQL Server)at Infosys Tech. ltd.

Well i want to enhance my knowledge in the financial domain & as such will like to know that will it be advisable to go for the CFA certification in June 2007 along with my regular MBA studies or shall i go for these certifications , once i enter into a full time job. Also will like to know the relevance of CFA for risk management

Expert opinions awaited, thick & fast.

Regards,
Sandeep