Career Exp in Diff Depts

5 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
hi all, i've a case to comment on. I'll present here the crux of the case, please do fwd your comments. Here it goes. Rahul is an ambitious person. From his engg days, he knows that he is there for managing a company and not only for doi...
Page 1 of 1

foreign schools usually use a different format of teaching, mostly case study and exp based. a student with 3-4 yrs managerial/similar exp will be able to participate in discussions of cases/situations to make them more meaningful. i.e. students learn from each other, faculty facilitates. pure theory is not taught as in Indian schools. cases help to learn application of theory. thats why multicultural, multi-industry mix is encouraged. plus exp ppl ask relevant questions subject to their own experience in similar situations and share them with others to make the class more lively.

Indian schools (except top IIM's etc) teach theory first and then use cases for applications. tier-2 schools teach mostly theory and little applications, as most students are freshers.
so it is more to bring diversity and experience in class and interactive learning for which foreign schools prefer more exp ppl.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
@anurag and @bizskool,

Thanks for your comments.
As you suggested to join for mba without wasting any more years, i've a question which has been pondering in my mind.
Why do then all foriegn universities look for an avg exp of 4-5 yrs, where as in indian b-schools 2 yrs is treated as a good work exp.

I guess, the univ think strongly about the skills set/ work exp that the candidates bring to the table for admission.

please do comment on this too.

ditto anurag. it is not required for rahul to work in mktg before an MBA. with his regular 3 yrs SW exp he can get in to any gud school in India or abroad, subject to CAT/GMAT/GD-PI. in MBA he can take Sys-Mktg splzn and can go for IT-Mktg, IT-consultng.
further for rahul to shift in to mktg before MBA itself will be tougher as job resp and skills reqd are different. mktg deptt prefers MBA's who can analyze, present etc. rahul anyway can keep himself aware by reading business newspapers, mags, gen mgmt books.
unless rahul goes for his own entrepreneurial/startup, to grow as CEO of a gud orgn takes 20-30 yrs depending on rahul's calibre.
most top IT/SW co. CEO's globally never completed their college education. eg. Gates, Jobs, dell, elison etc. to become CEO rahul need no do a MBA. suggest rahul to read some CEO bio's.

Not necessary tat Rahul will work for all the concerned dept. before joining a B-School.
Since he already has experience in S/W(Domain-production) he can go ahead and join a B-school with marketing and sales as specalization.
His technical expertise will help him understand product faster....
As far as CEO part comes in, he has a long way to go since he's just 20 somethng....
As he keeps growing he'll have exposure to different functional and domain specific enviroment.
Bottom line:Rahul must immediately opt for an MBA if he doesnt want to be a programmer for rest of his life.

hi all,

i've a case to comment on. I'll present here the crux of the case, please do fwd your comments. Here it goes.

Rahul is an ambitious person. From his engg days, he knows that he is there for managing a company and not only for doing a s/w job. As he is doing his s/w job now, he comes up with a plan.
He is eager to do his MBA from top univ either in india/abroad. Since a CEO in the making needs to have a working idea of all imp depts in a company, he wants to work for more couple of years. As he is having an exp of 2 yrs n production dept (proj mangt in s/w engg), he wants to make a shift to marketing/sales of any IT company. so that he can have an exposure in diff depts.
Can he make a shift to marketing/sales of an IT company, without any prior exp in those fields, but having an exp in proj mngt stream.

The basic idea is that, he wants to get an exp in diff depts to the table before he joins in any univ for his mba.

Please do reply.

trickgmat.