Can a person with non financial background successfully do a mba in finance?

8 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
i have just finished my BE(ECE) IN NITT.placed in cognizant.gave cat 03 but in vain. i would like to know is it possible for an engineer to compete with people from bcom,ca background in case he decides to persue mba(finance) guys and gals ...
Page 1 of 1

MBA colls prefer engineers as they are already professional in the outlook.

finance n all is no problem. a brief introduction to costing and economics is given at the b. tech level itself. baki to aadmi seekh hi leta hai.

the dude.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

my cousin brother who was an engineer worked for 10 days in bajaj autos ... got so sick of the job ... left it and then did finance from S P Jain ... he was grilled big time as he had to fill the electives of 2nd yr but he managed ... today he's working in Arab Banking , Bahrain .

Hi,

From what I've heard, people with a background in engineering tend to do rather well in finance. I've been told that this has something to do with our analytical abilities, whatever they are :wink: . Another thing I've heard is that people with a background in finance are so used to looking at the minor details that they take a while getting used to taking a high-level view of things, while coming in fresh, engineers don't have that disadvantage. Anyways, all of the above is just hearsay...but a relatively large number of engineers do end up with fin jobs, and since the same companies keep coming back to campuses, I'm assuming that they find engineers doing a good job.

Mansur

I guess so .. else why would they allow non commerce people to choose finance.

during an IMS seminar ... someone asked this question .. the person replied that he would require extra effort initially ... but later on things are fine ...

So dude .... dont worry about anything .... becoz even in ADVERTISing, BMS people would be at an advantage .. but only initially i guess .

Hey Dude,

Now thats what we call believing in yourself.....if you are good enough you can do well anywhere you go and give all these CA's a run for their money....

And whats more is all good MBA instis grill their students in all sort of ways....For example IIMA has this method where their are extra evening classes where u have to teach technical subjests to non engineering background ppl and they in turn teach subjects like accounting and economics to the techies....

So go ahead without any doubt ......

MS
@MS  ·  0 karma

hey,
70+ % guys in IIM are engineers and many of them become whizkids in finance...its not an issue as long as ur interested and willing to put in hard work...CAs have a huge advantage but then you gotta fight :)
Mohit

Well from what I've heard from my friends who've done their MBA's is that all these top I-Banks go for IIT+IIM (no hard&fast; rule though) combo..so I don't see having a non-finance background as an issue as long as u do well @MBA.

P.S One of these friends himself (my classmate @Engg ) is working with JP-Morgan in the I-banking domain.

i have just finished my BE(ECE) IN NITT.placed in cognizant.gave cat 03 but in vain.
i would like to know is it possible for an engineer to compete with people from bcom,ca background in case he decides to persue mba(finance)

guys and gals please enlighten me on this.

1 like