CA vs MBA

12 Posts  ·  16 Users
About this group
hi, I am an 18 years old commerce student from Jodhpur,Rajasthan. I am planning to do Chartered accountancy along with graduation (B.Com) from jodhpur as CA training in jodhpur is considered the best all over India and the maximum number of CA...
Page 1 of 2

Hello,

I have done MS(Insurance) from ICFAI. Presently I am not working as I have a small baby but wish to start working from next year. I was intrested in doing CA. Can anyone suggest me if it will benefit me n my resume. My MS(Insurance) has not helped me much in the past. I think this is the best time for me to enhance my skills as I am at home only. I am 27, so is it a good decision to go for CA at this age?

Hope to get good suggestions......

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Hi Dainty,

Completing two challenging pursuits simultaneously is not impossible. But I'd suggest taking up each one independently and doing it justice. Rather than just ending up with two qualifications that might ultimately not translate into market value is not in your best interest.

Choosing an MBA program on the basis of cost alone is also another no-no.

Gain some work experience and get a taste of corporate life, before you invest in the second qualification.

Founder - MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb

hi
i hav a query here. i have done my completed my b.com this year frm delhi university. didn't do well in cat . i hav cleared foundation of ca and completed 9 months of articleship.
now my query is should i go for a mba in a insitute near home with less fees and side by side prepare for ca. coz i will not loose if i m not able to clear pcc in 1 attempt and can continue with ca without any tension as i ll hav a mba degree side by side. help me out guys am i on the right track

Dunno abt the colleges in Jodhpur. If any of them are as good as the ST.Stephens and the Srirams then go for them by all means.

The selection criteria for GD/PI calls and conversion thereof is a mystery....no one knows what matters and what doesnt??: . Yes, graduating from a reputed college does add weight to ur app...also gives the panel greater scope to ask u Qs . A good acad record coupled with a good institution makes u come across as a person serious abt studying...which is something very good, especially if u r a fresher.

Have no idea abt symbiosis entrance test(SET) though.:neutral:

Suggest u continue to post ur queries, if any, in this thread - http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/calling-all-chartered-accountants-25014516

hi
mary here
i need to know which notes is preferable for me to prepare for my cat.i'm form mumbai so if possible can any body advice me on this topic
thx for ur advice babooshka , shubh_84, perk & adi19
since the max no of CAs are selected from jodhpur every year, my parents r insisting that i do my grad from here only.should i then drop the plan to do grad from delhi? also r the chances of clearing CAT &the; following interviews greater if i do grad from a renowned college?there is one more query
i want to register for the symbiosis entrance test(SET) for undergraduates
any ideas bout the content covered & types of ques. asked? is it based on the std. XII syllabi? waiting 4ur reply. sorry 4 so many ques.ur suggestions r valued.

Dunno abt the colleges in Jodhpur. If any of them are as good as the ST.Stephens and the Srirams then go for them by all means.

The selection criteria for GD/PI calls and conversion thereof is a mystery....no one knows what matters and what doesnt??: . Yes, graduating from a reputed college does add weight to ur app...also gives the panel greater scope to ask u Qs . A good acad record coupled with a good institution makes u come across as a person serious abt studying...which is something very good, especially if u r a fresher.

Have no idea abt symbiosis entrance test(SET) though.:neutral:

Suggest u continue to post ur queries, if any, in this thread - http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/calling-all-chartered-accountants-25014516

thx for ur advice babooshka , shubh_84, perk & adi19
since the max no of CAs are selected from jodhpur every year, my parents r insisting that i do my grad from here only.should i then drop the plan to do grad from delhi? also r the chances of clearing CAT &the; following interviews greater if i do grad from a renowned college?there is one more query
i want to register for the symbiosis entrance test(SET) for undergraduates
any ideas bout the content covered & types of ques. asked? is it based on the std. XII syllabi? waiting 4ur reply. sorry 4 so many ques.ur suggestions r valued.

hi GP,
i am a CA myself, n am plannin to take up my CAT this yr,

join up a good college, it really really helps a lot in a job later !! trust me
take up ur PE1,PE2 in u r college,
assuming that u will clear in 1st attempt ( 2 max) , by the time u come out of college u can directly join a Big 4 for articleship,
n beleive the kiond of respect u will get in your clients place n amongst u r peer+relatives is amazing experience...
in the mean time u can slowly start u r CAT preparations.. jus to keep in touch....
complete your Final, then u will be definelty land up in a good job, n here again let me remind you that a good articleship fetches u a very good job.

once u r into your first year, start preparing for your CAT, since it comes in nov, n final ivews etc happen only in april ,may, u will have 1+ experince, n here again my friend, a good job=expericnce+CA will get a great chance to get into a Top B-School...

Cheers n enjoy life!
prk

hi,
I am an 18 years old commerce student from Jodhpur,Rajasthan.
I am planning to do Chartered accountancy along with graduation (B.Com) from jodhpur as CA training in jodhpur is considered the best all over India and the maximum number of CAs are from jodhpur every year.
But at the same time i have an option of joining some renowned college like Lady Sri Ram College of Commerce on the basis of my XII board result, which i expect will be above the required cut off and then to do MBA after graduation. But for this I'll have to chuck out the CA plan ..
so wat shld i do..please please advise...And how is the CA-MBA combo..also is it possible to do CA along with graduation from Shri ram college, delhi or such similar renowned institutes?

hi golden platter..
the CA-MBA combo is indeed preferred by employers big and small..i personally feel u should complete your CA first (ie CA final) and then give your CAT.. but then again it depends how confident u are about clearing CA in the first attempt.. CA involves crossing a lot of hurdles like PE1 and PE2..etc etc..decide what you want to do only after taking into consideration the time factor and also your ability to multi-task (incase u want to do both ca and mba together)..all the best!
hi,
I am an 18 years old commerce student

Atleast you've decided to think about things early on. Great. You're probably amongst the youngest members of this community.
hi,
I am an 18 years old commerce student ..................................................................
so wat shld i do..please please advise...And how is the CA-MBA combo..also is it possible to do CA along with graduation from Shri ram college, delhi or such similar renowned institutes?

Hi Goldplatter,

My take on the issue -
1) Join a renowned college. It's something that you carry with you for the rest of ur life. I regret quitting college to this day.:(
2) Do PE1 and PE2 during college. Contact Yogesh Patwari of PG. Think he has done this.
3) Get good marks in college and clear PE2 with college Final. Helps if uget a rank in PE1 and PE2.
4) Take CAT during final year and hope u max it.
5) In case 4 happens, ditch CA and go IIMs. Have a good excuse ready for ditching CA.
6) In case you dont tame CAT, join big 4 for articleship and take CAT for the next 3 years of articleship. Incase u max it in any of the years, go back to step 5, else go to step 7.
7) Take up CA Final..crack it...remember if babooshka cud..anyone T,D,H and GoldPlatter can clear.
Take CAT again, the year after clearing CA. Incase u still dont clear... 5 attempts and 5 dangs..think whether CAT is for u.

May the force be with you.

PS - The above is strictly my personal opinion, in line with my jaundiced view of the CA course. So, finally think hard and take the decision...it's ur a$$ on line.