Broad Michigan Current Student taking Queries

24 Posts  ·  11 Users
About this group
Hello All, I am sure this application season would be going pretty exciting for all of you. I am a current MBA student at Broad School, Michigan State. If anyone has any queries or advice, you can contact me. I will appreciate if i am no...
Page 1 of 3

Hi

My brief profile:
IT *+ yrs exp.
GMAT: 720

I have applied in the second round i.e. before Jan 10 deadline and am awaiting furhter intimation by the Adcom. My question is that does the Adcom differentiates between phone or video or in-person interviews. I mean does candidates interviewed in-person hold any advtg over the others.

Also, I had worked in Michigan (Chrysler, Center Line, precisely) for over 1 year and also did visited the university campus once. Will that be of any help while considering my aplication?

Happy New Year
Upinder

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi Gail,

1) The adcomm would be in a better position to answer this :). I know that will not help you so I can give you my personal opinion - Pls be honest about your goals in the interview. Obviously you are changing your concentration for a reason, use that in your essays and interviews.

2) There is no option for a general MBA as of now.

3) There are a couple of Indian students doing HR and yes you can get a job in that field.

4) Well I have never encountered a situation among Indian students where the salary (once converted into $) was above minimum wage here. So I sure hope ( for my sake ) that previous salary is not that important. What is important, salary wise, is your past experience.Obviously someone with more relevant work experience can negotiate a better salary.

Hope that helps!

Srikanth

Sri,
Appreciate that.
For the response to the 4th bullet point, I should have given u a frame of reference.
I have been an IT consultant in US for over 3 years now. What I meant by the question was; lets take a situation where a student is already making over the avg salary for Broad pass-outs. Will the employers consider that when making an offer? I really like the curriculum-culture and other dynamics. But I have to be sure financially before I step into the school. There is no looking back, you know.
Although this question is valid for any school I apply to but I wish to understand the Broad economic climate.
Lets just say with close to 7 years of experience, "I have passed that stage of, lets give it a shot and see what happens "
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Gail,

1) The adcomm would be in a better position to answer this :). I know that will not help you so I can give you my personal opinion - Pls be honest about your goals in the interview. Obviously you are changing your concentration for a reason, use that in your essays and interviews.

2) There is no option for a general MBA as of now.

3) There are a couple of Indian students doing HR and yes you can get a job in that field.

4) Well I have never encountered a situation among Indian students where the salary (once converted into $) was above minimum wage here. So I sure hope ( for my sake ) that previous salary is not that important. What is important, salary wise, is your past experience.Obviously someone with more relevant work experience can negotiate a better salary.

Hope that helps!

Srikanth

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Sri,
I have a rather unusual question. I am a re-applicant. Last year I applied for Marketing Concentration with the GMAT 680. I took the GMAT again this year, scored a 720. So all in all I have a better GMAT score and an additional year of experience. Due to the recent development in my career, I now wish to apply for the Management concentration. Below are my questions:

1. Does changing the intended concentration in the subsequent year reduce the chances of an admission offer?
  2. I see only Human resource management as an available concentration under the management category here Full-Time MBA Concentrations - Michigan State University Broad College of Business. Is there an option like General MBA?
  3. What is the plight of an average Indian student in Human resources? This is more a people's job, hence the question.
  4. I know Broad is excellent when it comes to ROI. Is Broad a financially viable option in terms of post MBA offers. What I actually mean is that do the companies consider the pre-MBA salary of a student when making him an offer?

I was interviewed by Jeff Mcnish in last year. He told me something that is common wisdom, "Marketing is not a good choice for non-natives and they mostly have to switch to either desk job(more like hiding in a cubicle) kinda roles or switch concentrations altogether."

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Gail
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@ Ashrut,

If you want to communicate something beyond the usual essays, you can write the optional essay.Also, I dont know if there is a skype option, but I remember reading something related to this subject elsewhere in pagalguy.If you dont get it, pl PM me , I can find out and let you know.

@Shiladitya

As long as you were honest in your Goal, there is no issue. Think about people who are switching careers, they can not link their work experience to their goal. Yet many of them apply...sucessfully...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Srikanth,

Does the broad mba conduct skype video calls or telecon interviews?

I gave my interview for katz and they have both the options open.

Thanks

Ashrut

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi Ashruth,

1) Strengthening your resume for Broad - Well, Broad looks for diverse people to fill up classes, so there is no one profile the adcomm is looking for. On your resume, bring out teamwork and leadership skills you brought to your work place.

2) Strengths of Broad -

a) Given that you want to specialize in SCM, Broad is one of your best choices
b) Good ROI - generous scholarships were awarded to many students in my year
c) Small program ( my current class size is 84 )

3) Advantage Michigan - not really, the economic slowdown has not been kind to Michigan. That said, for SCM profiles, we have recruiters come from all over the country.

Hope I answered your questions.All the best!

Hi Srikanth!!

There is one question that I am really worried about and that is my career goal. In my essay I have mentioned that my short term goal is to work for a consulting firm that provides solutions in Supply Chain Management.

But, I am actually working in the manufacturing sector in Quality Assurance. How to back up my goals?

Thanks and cheers.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

thanks a lot for your inputs. Well, the concerning part is that I am low on my GMAT - 600. So, can I provide some kind of explanation on this score so that in case they like my profile,they ask me to retake the exam?
I can plan to retake it if the college wants me to otherwise not.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Ashruth,

1) Strengthening your resume for Broad - Well, Broad looks for diverse people to fill up classes, so there is no one profile the adcomm is looking for. On your resume, bring out teamwork and leadership skills you brought to your work place.

2) Strengths of Broad -

a) Given that you want to specialize in SCM, Broad is one of your best choices
b) Good ROI - generous scholarships were awarded to many students in my year
c) Small program ( my current class size is 84 )

3) Advantage Michigan - not really, the economic slowdown has not been kind to Michigan. That said, for SCM profiles, we have recruiters come from all over the country.

Hope I answered your questions.All the best!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Srikanth,

Can you suggest me how I can strengthen my Resume for broad? Also, What are the key factors which brings Broad above others? I have heard Michigan is a manufacturing hub. So , please elaborate about the city advantage as well.

I am working as a plant operations head in a manufacturing unit. Interested in supply chain.

Hope to hear from you soon.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...