Born to be Wild: Traveling the Lonely Planet Way!

202 Posts  ·  38 Users
About this group
I thought of starting a thread like this a couple of months back wasnt sure if people would be enthu. Also didnt want to start a duplicate thread and face the disgrace of having it locked (Please Dont lock this! I searched, I swear!) Anyhow,...
Page 1 of 21

Bumped into this thread ...Nice to see ppl travelling alot!

I agree with Anand... India is the most complete country ever . It has all things in the world you name it the good, the bad and the ugly ... Well after all my travels in last 12 months i decided to do a India yatra backpack way in coming 5 years ..

As for Lonely Planet way . I did a lot of backpacking in last 12 months . Mostly they were backpack weekend travels and then later ventured out into Long backpacking trips and also tried hand at Flashpacking .my first long backpack exp started last year when i met my friend in denmark and we did copenhagen-->Malmo-->south poland--> copenhagen. It was a week long trip but that was the start for me to become a travel junkie... It was amazing experience with winters in poland making alpine lands of innsbruck seem like south european destination 😃

Later we decided to do a much bigger trip of 2 weeks Europe backpack and tats when we did Western Europe backpack c/o Interrail Pass 😃 ( Innsbruck--> Munich--> Paris-->Brussels-->Brugges-->Luxembourg-->Amsterdam-->Lisse-->Rotterdam-->Augsburg-->Munich-->Innsbruck) It was one Hell of experience...lifetime to remember .

Shortly after i got a small break and i did UK Backpack... Innsbruck-->Munich-->London-->Edinburgh--Glencoe-->Fortwilliam-->Fort Augustus-->Loch ness-->London--Munich-->Innsbruck.. Scotland was one of the breathtaking countries... Wilderness.. History was fascinating .. and tats when backpacking became a part of my life... Living is hostels and travelling using Euro youth cards , meeting locals and tourists across the world has become a experience and norm and I now look forward doing more ...

Next backpack plans is to do Russia backpack during winter and backpack across Norway, Greenland and watch Northern Lights /cross Arctic circle ... Hope i get to releive this dream soon..

Any Puys in Europe We can do backpack weekend travels together .. Although travelled all over Europe . I still have some destinations to see and some destinations to see again 😃 So Lets relieve this thread again and lets continue to do backpacking again 😃

Cheers
Silentcacophony

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
anandv
@anandv  ·  2,055 karma
estranged_gnrs Says
Thats awesome! we await the pics and the experience!

Talking of travelling, I have been lucky to visit 18 countries as a tourist, and I have never seen more beautiful country than India. Only Italy can come closest to India.

You name any marvellous place in the world and we always have its counterpart.
For every Venice, we have Kerala backwaters. For every Nile,we have Ganges. For every Phuket, we have Andaman. And regarding mountain ranges: Just no comparision.
Just the need is to maintain the place well.

Experiences soon to follow 😁
anandv
@anandv  ·  2,055 karma
No, ROUGH GUIDE. It is way better a read for Europe than lonely planet On A Shoe String Budget. And Bruges is actually the ONLY town in Belgium. And I dont recall anything about hitchhiking from Belgium to Luxemborg in Lonely Planet. Stick to that one little town and do a bit of a day trip to Antwerp if need be to go eat some chocolate.

And TrenItalia is horrid. If nothing else, think about reaching Rome from Venice at 6 AM and getting off at a wrong station, without any documents or essentials. And seeing all the Graffiti trains from WW 2 :P. Captivating but scary. Italy is like the Bihar from Europe but easily the most romantic. And they charge extra on Italian trains just for kicks.

and Id call Amsterdam more of a canal city than Brugge.
and where are you traveling from? alone? if backpacking in the true sense, a tent can be fun for those parts, especially Luxemborg. :-)

*Bump*

Never knew such thread existed on PG!!

Talking of my latest experience: Bought Lonely Planet India- Had vacation in Hand and had ultimate hitch-hiking in India: Travel in night and sightsee during day in most cases -->

Mumbai--> Hampi --> Bangy--> Cochin --> Alleppy--> Munnar--> Chennai--> Andaman--> Kolkata--> NJP--> Darjeeling --> Gangtok --> Kolkata --> Mumbai (20 days flat)
Hmm...aren't we in 'traveling the lonely planet way' thread? :)
My post implied safety in Venice across the alleys,the islands from Lido to Burano etc etc.... Also, most people could speak in english , surprisingly but then it is a touristic place.
Anyway I can't even begin to imagine your agony about losing the passport....
but then ,trains in Italy are not safe ....the tickets though are amongst the cheapest in Europe but one has to be alert always. But that would hold true anywhere.

Bruges...I have heard about it, another canal-intensive town 😃
Its called the 'Venice' of North
might be going there soon. will tell you my opinion then

No, ROUGH GUIDE. It is way better a read for Europe than lonely planet On A Shoe String Budget. And Bruges is actually the ONLY town in Belgium. And I dont recall anything about hitchhiking from Belgium to Luxemborg in Lonely Planet. Stick to that one little town and do a bit of a day trip to Antwerp if need be to go eat some chocolate.

And TrenItalia is horrid. If nothing else, think about reaching Rome from Venice at 6 AM and getting off at a wrong station, without any documents or essentials. And seeing all the Graffiti trains from WW 2 :P. Captivating but scary. Italy is like the Bihar from Europe but easily the most romantic. And they charge extra on Italian trains just for kicks.

and Id call Amsterdam more of a canal city than Brugge.
and where are you traveling from? alone? if backpacking in the true sense, a tent can be fun for those parts, especially Luxemborg. 😃
Things do happen. Venice is not safe, maybe yes, if you hang around the outside and next to the canals but the beauty of it all is walking throuhg the insides and back alleys, checking out the food starting with St. Lucia and then carrying out yourself to the opposite side - San Marco...

And Belgium - See, there is EXACTLY ONE good city there, a beautiful quaint little town called Brugges.

People might have a different opinion though.

Hmm...aren't we in 'traveling the lonely planet way' thread? :)
My post implied safety in Venice across the alleys,the islands from Lido to Burano etc etc.... Also, most people could speak in english , surprisingly but then it is a touristic place.
Anyway I can't even begin to imagine your agony about losing the passport....
but then ,trains in Italy are not safe ....the tickets though are amongst the cheapest in Europe but one has to be alert always. But that would hold true anywhere.

Bruges...I have heard about it, another canal-intensive town 😃
Its called the 'Venice' of North
might be going there soon. will tell you my opinion then

Things do happen. Venice is not safe, maybe yes, if you hang around the outside and next to the canals but the beauty of it all is walking throuhg the insides and back alleys, checking out the food starting with St. Lucia and then carrying out yourself to the opposite side - San Marco...

And the cops there were not exactly the MOST helpful in the whole world there. Plus, language barriers and it being a weekend, made agony further complex. I later did come to know mine was not an on off there, but it took place while getting off from the Salzburg-Villach-Venice train. And was more my fault than anything. But spoiled the whole Venice charm/experience as I struggled though the day without money, train pass, passport et al!!

And Belgium - See, there is EXACTLY ONE good city there, a beautiful quaint little town called Brugges. it is adequate for a day trip in all its splendour. If I had an option, I would have rather skipped it though and gone down to Carconnesse (spelling?) in South France. Belgium has these random chweap-to-expensive chocolate haunts (which I was already fed up of)..their beer is also more of show off...doesn come close to German And Austrian BIERGARTENS :D

Antwerp is a wannabe modern city and Brusssels is monotonous. There was this little place called Ghent in the middle of the flanders (if im not mistaken) and that was still worth it but its art history is more of plain nothingness. The paintings are not even by Belgium painters, there are a couple of Roman ones that might make interest..

If anyone if headed there for Gothic Cathederals, dont, there are many better ones all across the continent. Go to Budapest instead.

But, if you some have the ability to backpack or travel through the greens and hills, take a BENELUX pass, belgium, netherlands, and luxemborg. It is impossible to get pissed off with Amsterdam, and Luxemborg hitchhiking after Belgium can make for a charming trip. In Belgium, check out the castles nestled within the Ardennes and etc...just walk around and camp..

People might have a different opinion though.

Had issues, lost half my luggage and documents in Venice but still continues. Will write more about it in a longer post once I have the will to...

:neutral: Thats sad. I found Venice to be one of the safest places in Europe in every sense of the term.
But well THIngS happen 😃 .

dragthewaters Says
Belgium (useless)

?
Please elaborate.

Did a one month solo back pack across Europe in May. Quit my job once I was confirmed into NMIMS and then just left, having basic details done. Had issues, lost half my luggage and documents in Venice but still continues. Will write more about it in a longer post once I have the will to...
Countries I went to this time included - Austria, South Germany (Bavaria), Italy, Vatican, France (Esp. the South), Barcelona in Spain, Belgium (useless), North Germany and Berling, and finally Holland.

Am in Germany now for two months approx.

Ya, you can message me your email.

Done !!
Hey Hitchhiker!

well what do ya wanna know 'bout Lyon? If there are specific quetions lemme know, been there once but one of my good friends is from Lyon. So perhaps I can help.
Anyway, its a nice place. There are UNESCO world heritage sites [ Croix-Rousse & Saint-Jean ] Also I noticed you heading to a beer fest 😉 ,there is a very famous wine growing region near Lyon:Cotes Du Rhone.
There is also Place Bellecour which is the plaza, the 3rd biggest in Europe and biggest in terms of being the largest clear square.

& yes I do agree bout not packing too much in the itinerary....makes total sense .

And I really liked this part of the post
When I go again, it'll be the UK, North Africa and the Med

I like the fact you used WHEN and not IF

and what do mean by ' bases covered' in belgium etc ? got friends there? I maybe making a weekend trip there sometime.

lets see, if all goes well I will join you for the oktoberfest....so what if Im a teetotaller ,there's some really great food to be found there as well :).
I dunno what my contact details will be in sept 😐 coz I am doing the internship at that time, can message u my email if you want.

Hi Aditi,
One of the guys on the trip is studying in Amsterdam and goes to Brussels/Antwerp and Paris every now and again. So he knows the places to stay and stuff...

Where are you putting up in Europe? Ya, you can message me your email.

Thanks 😃