Better-things-in-store a.k.a No iim-calls

18 Posts  ·  16 Users
About this group
Hi All... Well... This thread is for the no iim-calls... Two days since the results were declared... And, I guess, lamentation period is over for most of us.. Let's just sit back and take a post-mortem report.. I'm a no iim-calls me...
Page 1 of 2

i am also on the same boat...do give me mail for further ideas at spkanabar@npcil.co.in

expecting 32 or something in cat..

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
I guess ur strategy was somewhat correct....only a little bit of luck wud have done. I tried to be perfect and didn't marked the maybe's which restricted my score to 40. The most tragic thing is that most of the maybe's which I didn't mark were correct and wud have easily fetched arnd 8-10 marks for me.

Vishal

I tend to disagree...I remember my taking CAT 2004. That was the first time IIMs introduced 2-mark questions, and I thought just the same way...go for the kill. I attempted as many as 19 two-markers out of the total 32 and got only 10 of them right (I didn't go for 'may-be's, mind you!) In others, I attempted 41 questions (worth 37.5 marks) and got 32 of them right (worth 29.5 marks). See the difference in accuracy, please! One is close to 80 percent, and the other is just above 50! And when I went back home and saw the first 10-15 questions in the one mark section in Quant, literally I was close to tears. They were so easy and I could crack 10 of them in less than 8 minutes time. But I never saw those questions while in exam hall! I was busy going for the kill. I got only 4 of the 7 two-mark questions in Quant (for which I struglled as much as 25 minutes) and that proved to me by undoing. I knew, if I had allocated some more time to Sub-Section A in quant, I would have landed up with some calls last time.
So, I would say, plan out your time section wise. And allocate time to each sub-section according to the mark that it carries (if you are equally comfortable with all the three sections, that is).

This time around I went for a 40-40-40 approach and when I saw the marks are in the ratio 1:4 in the two sub-sections within each sections, I decided to give 10 minutes to one-mark sub-section and 30 minutes to the two marks sub-section. And it worked well for me I guess (Number of attempts: QA - 5 x 1 + 7 x 2, VA - 10 x 1 + 10 x 2, DI - 7 x 1 + 7 x 2 -> all with decent accuracy. Although I had to take 5 minutes off from DI and allocate it to VA)

Hey guys!!
Me in the same boat ( the missed one!! :))

People here hav very righly suggested looking forward to the different entrances comin up. Guess it's time to get over the past & concentrate on makin it into the other good b-schools. \

Best of luck to all of you in your quests!!

One another thing is that..

I was weak in my EU section.. and realised that pretty late.. first 6 mocks had a tough time clearig the cutoffs.. but 6-12 cleared the cutoffs comfortably.. but only after reaching teh 13th mock i was able to realise that.. for my mark and percentile to increase considerably.. i had to improve on my EU.. But.. as you know EU is not something that will improve overnight.. I improved.. But not enough.. I had lot of instances of 96+ percentiles in DI, LR and PS... But... VA i would barely clear the cutoffs..

So.. my lesson for the next CAT is to prepare well for the EU section starting from now.. Read, read and read.. mm..

Falure is the road to sucess ! So relax guys , missing an IIM Call is nothing but a sign of something better to be done .

Btw , when can we expect the result i.e Scorecard ? Last time around , the score card was out in December . There are some rumours that it will be out on Jan 6th , but now that GD/PI calls are already out , I wonder if IIM's would be a little bit complacent .

Experts , please enlighten us about the results .

Thanks
Nishant

Hi,

Me too in the same boat:shock: . After a couple of 99+(AIR 50) in CL mocks and avg perc of 96, I feel practice has nothing to do when u are under pressure . But I am confident of obtaining calls from MDI,NITIE and SP JAIN. If I get a final call, I'll rather join them than wasting an year.

I also did JMET very well, expecting 71-73 & an IIT B call. Right now working hard towards XAT. I WILL CRACK XAT. I CAN CRACK IT .

I personally feel XLRI and FMS are better options than the younger IIMs. This is completely my personal feeling(people with a different opinion can bash me through pm:) ). So we still have a chance to get into the top inst. of the country .

Above all, I have a GRE score of 1410 (not great though) and TOEFL 273 and a big list of extra currics. So expecting admission into top programs that I have applied abroad.

By saying all these I dont mean boasting here, but only that CAT IS NOT THE END OF THE ROAD. IT IS JUST THE BEGINNING. I wish all PGites the very best for the future ahead of us .

Hi,

Same case over here.
But concentrating on XAT and FMS.
Best of luck for the same.

Some of the discussion looks so wise that i am surprised that one would realise it so soon of "How to crack CAT"?

I have given it 2 times and missed it both the times , though i wrote it carelessly the first time last year. This year, i guess i missed it because of quants(had 9 in qa) as i think the cut-off should have been ten.

yup, percentiles haven't come yet. still, there are many insti calls to come too. So, guys there's nothing much to lose heart now.
I have seen so many ppl writing it 3 times, 4 times and making it only then. I have 3 yrs of work-ex and find getting a good score in CAT needs NOTHING(NOTHING, i repeat) more than a cool mind during the test. It might look an overstatement but i feel a guy who is so relaxed with an above average aptitude skill and a good reading habit will crack the paper more comfortably than an extremely smart chap who is perssurised.

But, as CAT always will have surprises one can't do anything but just give it one's best shot and leave it to God.

You are right ven-cat.. I got a couple of 99 percentiles and quite a decent amount of 90+ percentiles.. but I was able to realise that based on the questions types and the question paper my percentile changed...

Moreover.. at the actual CAT... I saw that there were just 90 questions.. I just went for the kill.. Threw caution to the winds and marked even the "maybes"... All in all, had attended around for 90+ marks.. So, the negative marks put me down and i came right down.. I could see that there were a few guys getting 5 calls with a score of 48... and my score comes to around 44.. According to Time.. So.. Had I been judicious in marking the answers and been a bit careful I could have cleared.. Although I did have a few holes otherwise.. It was the paper strategy that put me down.. So.. as ankursanghi says.. The performances in Mocks and in the D-day are not largely related..

I guess ur strategy was somewhat correct....only a little bit of luck wud have done. I tried to be perfect and didn't marked the maybe's which restricted my score to 40. The most tragic thing is that most of the maybe's which I didn't mark were correct and wud have easily fetched arnd 8-10 marks for me.

Vishal

hi 2 u all(English wali)

Hindi wali HIIIIII

Little bit depressed...but dat LITTLE was only for LITTLE(jst an hour) time.....

Not gettin a call has now rather fueled me with more energy....

We all know where we lacked...Atleast i know dat...

So ll like to suggest u all to start workin hard for next D-day erodin points where u lack n rather makin that points ur stronger 1's...

Start thinkin TIME LEFT NOT AS 11 months....BUT AS JST 1 MONTH LESS THAN A YEAR..

Come on guys......we all shd PROMISE each other dat we ll work hard to harder to get da call next time........

STARTING FROM NOW.........I PROMISE U ALL I LL SURELY...........