Bargaining for a better future?

1 Post  ·  1 User
About this group
Hi folks, The reason that I'm posting this is the fact that the events during last few weeks have caused some confusuion in my mind. I have an admit from a good Asian B-School which I am planning to join in the coming acdemic year. Now my fi...
Page 1 of 1

Hi folks,
The reason that I'm posting this is the fact that the events during last few weeks have caused some confusuion in my mind.
I have an admit from a good Asian B-School which I am planning to join in the coming acdemic year.
Now my firm's management, when i told them abt my intentions, requested me to reconsider but I made it kinda clear that i
wanna go. Now my HR manager (an IIM-C grad.) tells me to think a li'l more and suggested to try for Harvard/Wharton & the
likes..next year.He offered me glowing recos for the same... Their interest is to hold me in the firm for at least one more
year. the reason for that is that we're into energy business and experience comes at a heavy premium esp. in these times. I
have abt 4 yrs. of work-ex (all with the same firm) & doubts hav jus' begun to creep in..therefore, i'm asking for ur
comments.
The points in favor of joining the Asian B-school are that i'd be saving on one year, it's a very good B-school in Asia,
however one possibly can't compare it with top US univ. since they're the Gold standard. It is affordable and I think i'd be
able to pay for it thru my own savings till date.Also, I'd have to take my GMAT(the Asian Bschool didn't require me to take
GMAT) if i wanna stay & apply to US univs.
If i do decide to stay for one more year, then I need only defer my admission now and then gun for the top US univs.
Therefore, in the worst case, i can go to this B-school next year. The finances cud be a problem though since I won't be able
to shell out those 50-60L. If i stay, i'd be able to save some 6-8L, and I guess i'd be able to derive some financial gains
out of the bargain too if i stay, so that might make me richer by say 5L more, but still that wud probably be only 50% of the
expenses.I'll have to go for a big loan and admission too is not assured considering the competition for the top univs, and I
have not had an exceptional academic record. Although i've been bright as such, but i'm not from IITs. I don't have a great
ECA to boot but i do have some volunteering experience which i know wud count. I do have a great work-ex and will be able to
manage glowing recos from my current employers.But that'll also mean putting myself an year behind(i'm 25 right now) and
continue doing for one more year. That'll not be a great value addition considering there won't be much new stuff to learn
but still wud count as one more year of work-ex.
Now the question before me is whether to simply put in my papers and leave for my MBA or to bargain with the firm in exchange
for staying for 1 more year..and if i do bargain, then what are the minimum concessions i need to extract.
Now I'm fairly confused abt what i shud be doing....therefore, i'm gonna use the lifeline- junta ka opinion....
Plz do write in with ur opinions...
Regards,
delhileo

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.