B Schools : Fall 2011 aspirants

251 Posts  ·  101 Users
About this group
Hi guys, I'm a Fall 2011 aspirant and aiming for US B Schools. have kicked off this thread so that applicants can come on board and share the knowledge. Last year we had excellent knowledge sharing. It's already mid july and no activity on PG ki...
Page 1 of 26

Hello,

Thank you for your insights on this one. What happens when you put Simon too into this fold.
Wats ur take on Simon when compared to the Carroll program..
Both are finance schools i guess.. Which one ll u prefer for operations/marketing..
since the scholarship amounts are the same, simon is a tad more expensive than Carroll..

please let me know your thoughts..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi All,

I am looking for an operations management major - technology consultant role post MBA. Would love to tailor a cross functional curriculum in operations n marketing..

In process of deciding between the two.. please let me know your thoughts..

From my interaction a year back i learned Carrol was more famous for Finance and mktg than anything else. Technology is not really a strong feature at BC. Mktg yes you can try carrol but BC is more of a finance school from what i have been told.Not sure if operations is a strong point.
No feedback on UIUC
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi All,

2 admits on the cards..

A UIUC - Illinois MBA Admit with a 5K scholarship..
Also have a Boston Carroll Admit with a 15K yearly scholarship..

I am looking for an operations management major - technology consultant role post MBA. Would love to tailor a cross functional curriculum in operations n marketing..
The overall tuition costs with the scholarship listed above for both comes to the same with a variance of probably 1 or 2K $.. Boston is high on the living expenses index though..

710/5.0 - 3 years 7 months in a top IT firm..

In process of deciding between the two.. please let me know your thoughts..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Q3) - You have to highlight your creative side here...demonstrate your key abilities/skills that are not included in rest of your application ...overall this should nicely complement your essays/recos/resume (complete application package).

Community Service: As part of the adcom, I have seen many Indian applicants with great community service experiences (I must say that successful applicants write whatever they have done in a very compelling matter and that would be my advise to you).

Good Luck!

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Chicago Booth)

Thanks bhavya. I'm applying to Chicago booth, and a few other, and am still in the process of completing my applications. Mainly, the LORs remain.
Also, there's a question/essay in the application which says:
3. At Chicago Booth, we teach you HOW to think rather than what to think. With this in mind, we have provided you with "blank pages" in our application. Knowing that there is not a right or even a preferred answer allows you to demonstrate to the committee your ability to navigate ambiguity and provide information that you believe will support your candidacy for Chicago Booth. :
Which is basically 4 empty slides that the candidate can fill in with whatever he/she finds appropriate.
Any suggestions for this one?
Secondly, I'm a little apprehensive about the community service activities, and feel that they might fall short, especially when compared to students from other countries like the US, as India does not have a very srtong system focussing on community service activities. Does the admissions committe take this factor into account?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Babson/MIT/Stanford/Haas are some of the good entrepreneurship schools. Also, Booth has strong entrepreneurship focus now with the Polsky center.

If you have a convincing story about "why MBA" and "why you", you can apply to these schools. Let me know if you need help.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 CHicago Booth)

Thanks bhavya. I'm applying to Chicago booth, and a few other, and am still in the process of completing my applications. Mainly, the LORs remain.
3. At Chicago Booth, we teach you HOW to think rather than what to think. With this in mind, we have provided you with "blank pages" in our application. Knowing that there is not a right or even a preferred answer allows you to demonstrate to the committee your ability to navigate ambiguity and provide information that you believe will support your candidacy for Chicago Booth. :
Which is basically 4 empty slides that the candidate can fill in with whatever he/she finds appropriate.
Secondly, I'm a little apprehensive about the community service activities, and feel that they might fall short, especially when compared to students from other countries like the US, as India does not have a very srtong system focussing on community service activities. Does the admissions committe take this factor into account?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Babson/MIT/Stanford/Haas are some of the good entrepreneurship schools. Also, Booth has strong entrepreneurship focus now with the Polsky center.

If you have a convincing story about "why MBA" and "why you", you can apply to these schools. Let me know if you need help.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 CHicago Booth)

Hi,
Can anyone suggest good colleges to apply to for an MBA in Entrepreneurship? I have a Gmat score of 720 and just 1 year of experience.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,
Can anyone suggest good colleges to apply to for an MBA in Entrepreneurship? I have a Gmat score of 720 and just 1 year of experience.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I got into Chicago Booth with 4 years of IT experience + CFA level 1 (cleared).

Let me know if you need any help.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Chicago Booth)

Hi Puys,
I have a query......I have some 2.5 yrs of IT experience and I have cleared CFA level-1. im planning to give GMAT. What are my chances of getting into B schools like NUS, NTU?

I wanted to pursue MBA in finance, will my IT experience ruin my chances, though I cleared the CFA level-1?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hey all,

Can anyone tell me where can I find sample application essays? I know what to write, but I want to know how people write it. It'll be of great help if anyone can PM me the url or any details reg this.

Thanks a ton!
Rish

I found the businessweek MBA insider section very useful. It's got sample essays written for each top school.

MBA Insider B-Schools Sample Application Essays Career Advice - Business Week Online
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...