B-School Placements:Inflating the figures

137 Posts  ·  57 Users
About this group
Dear Students and MBA aspirants As all of you must be seeing that the placement season is on and the various B-Schools are coming up with their placement figures for the 2007 Batch. Most of these figures are decided even before the actual pla...
Page 1 of 14
pre-dominatly IT cos hiring are infy,satyam,tcs,wipro et al...and like any engineer will tell ya, they are not the best pay masters....

a similar situation exists in b schools....loads were picked by the above mentioned cos...hence most of the IT guys were below the median....

Regards

Ridhesh

ps: Covansys does pay well for laterals!!!

hmm....but dude....7-8 Lacs for freshers...(since many of the ones u mentioned did not have hidden components) too has a good cash component on hand:) anyways good point...taken
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Not at all..I dont know why the guy said like that in the first place...Covansys has given damn good salaries like 9.4Lacs, 9.2 Lacs, 9 Lacs on campus here at SCMHRD..is it less?

Cheers

pre-dominatly IT cos hiring are infy,satyam,tcs,wipro et al...and like any engineer will tell ya, they are not the best pay masters....

a similar situation exists in b schools....loads were picked by the above mentioned cos...hence most of the IT guys were below the median....

Regards

Ridhesh

ps: Covansys does pay well for laterals!!!
manish_bengani Says
dude...can u tell the reason as to why IT guys fall in the lower category of placements?? since i'm also an IT engineer, aspiring for MBA this year! plzz reply b-school seniors...

Not at all..I dont know why the guy said like that in the first place...Covansys has given damn good salaries like 9.4Lacs, 9.2 Lacs, 9 Lacs on campus here at SCMHRD..is it less?

Cheers
Hey,

As for me I am joining Covansys in an IT consulting role. And as they say for a median there have to be an equal mumber above and an equal no below and most of us IT guys are in the latter category.

rock on and Best of luck for both placements as well as GD/PI

dude...can u tell the reason as to why IT guys fall in the lower category of placements?? since i'm also an IT engineer, aspiring for MBA this year! plzz reply b-school seniors...
Sad part is let go the figures of average and median or whatever..noone from these institutes has been able to explain these hours...also see...I see one thing here, some colleges the placement is entirely managed by students with no prof involved, but here....both places professors involved as placement heads..or deans..and still we have such brave press releases....

Cheers
Shankar

do not understand what the entire issue here is....

what did students of my college not explain??? That there exists a day zero of placements before a Day 1....

For me, it is an "industry" norm which was followed....For me personally, i knew before hand that there is a day 0 of placemnets...hence it ecapes me...and i say this on this a very personal note...

I do hope that it settles this issue of not explaining about day zeroes et al....

On the profs point...we certainly are brave about releasing something which is the truth...like before, doubting thomases are invited anytime to the campus...(dont worry about acco, u can bed down in my room...LOL!!!)

regards

Ridhesh
vahgar
@vahgar  ·  282 karma

Hmm..took some time to scan the thread. It is important to prospective students to know about placement figures of b schools they wish to join. I'd say there is more of 'misrepresentation' than 'fraud' on their part which is bad enough though. I've been on both sides of the fence so I can empathise completely. If a B school can complete its placement process in x hours thats great shows how much the students are in demand or the logistics are as good as Wal Mart's! Getting into petty arguments about the same is does not serve the purpose of the thread does it? Ultimately is all about the money..

Yes.... And they "EXPECT" everyone to assume that Day 1 is preceded by Day Zero.. !!!

Great creativity using language !!!

Sad part is let go the figures of average and median or whatever..noone from these institutes has been able to explain these hours...also see...I see one thing here, some colleges the placement is entirely managed by students with no prof involved, but here....both places professors involved as placement heads..or deans..and still we have such brave press releases....

Cheers
Shankar
Hey dude,

Just a correction I Believe ..IMT has said in their press release...."100% placement was achieved in just 4hrs into Day 1 of placements"....and not only 4hrs .....as understood earlier......

Cheers
Shankar

Yes.... And they "EXPECT" everyone to assume that Day 1 is preceded by Day Zero.. !!!

Great creativity using language !!!

It's funny that after the mind-boggling 79 companies in 6 hrs by SIBM, it is followed by 121 companies in 4 hrs by IMT (ET, 26/01/2006). But then, expect this to continue over the next month as more colleges pore in with the news.

Hey dude,

Just a correction I Believe ..IMT has said in their press release...."100% placement was achieved in just 4hrs into Day 1 of placements"....and not only 4hrs .....as understood earlier......

Cheers
Shankar

Unfortunately, aspirants and their parents allow themselves to be manipulated by the B-School media blitz because of lack of awareness in the general population about MBA and whats it about.

I have seen so many grads approach MBA as if its a technical degree ... or a normal progression from graduation to post grad. The MBA market is still maturing in India, general lack of awareness means that folks get admission into the institute and then try to figure what they really want, let alone decide companies and target CTCs. Typical for most fresh students.

Finally, I ask all aspirants - aspirants - to ask yourself a few questions.
1) How much of this is really relevant to me? Will my knowledge of a super complex excel sheet with all the data the world could provide improve my chances of getting through to a b-school? Or even let me make the right choice?
2) What the $#(@ do I really want from my career? So what if Y B-school has placements of only 7lakhs avg. CTC - does it have the one company that I'd really like to get into?? If so, what are my chances of getting in there?

This whole journey of B-schooling is only one of personal choices. Sadly most aspirants/b-schoolers would rather skip the actual decision-making and revel in the lack of data or misrepresentation of all the facts noone needs.

In the end, its only one job.