At Great Lakes, students are stakeholders

25 Posts  ·  20 Users
About this group
At Great Lakes, students are stakeholders PaGaLGuY.com visits Great Lakes Institute of Management at Chennai - the B-school started by Dr Bala Balachandran. Read the Full Article here
Page 1 of 3

QuintE... Good to see you busy at FMS... My best wishes!

Firstly ketan's point is pretty spot on... and the error if any is only that there were three articles on one institute... Yes you can pipeline other insti articles but when three on one show up it does look bad even though not intentional...

And yes as ketan quoted my post... I actually got a few pms from glimmites about my joke on glim as in 'glim hope' of getting an IIM... None of them actually posted on the thread afraid that others might see my post....
Infact one said we are going to call ourselves Great Lakes and emphasise that name in the future... ofcourse i said Best of Luck... Dont take my joke seriously... Uh! I mean try...

For About 90% of Bschool junta in india their self esteem seems to be a function of the name of their Bschool... Since average self esteem in india is pretty low i guess we can tolerate any self esteem we get...

And I dont understand where media cells and PR got into this... Infact I would think of those sub-outsourcing their PR to other agencies as smarter... PR is complicated to be handled by theoretical minded Bschool profs... And PR agencies are good at news/media watch/analysis and are better connected to get the message across... Ofcourse this is business and hey its business schools we are talking... The right PR (and budget!!) can take a Bschool to the top 15 within 3 years... After all Bschools in india are not exactly valued on faculty research and such mega things suited for countries where everyone can afford to eat twice a day... Once you get the better students you are in the top 15 club automatically... almost...

I mean we have read about lobbying agencies in Washington where countries hire these agencies to make themselves look good and get the most of out of the senators there by using the lawyers to lobby for them to set laws and economic policies suited for there needs... India does it. Every reasonable country does it... It doesnt sound ethical but what has to be done has to be done...

This is the real world... We must understand that whatever we read could be written to channel us towards something by generally highlighting the best points... It wasnt like this before maybe... But that is the way it is now... And I think most are fully aware and are inherently skeptical anyways... But as a whole PR can do a great job in the long term as in changing people's perceptions slowly... And this is why actually smart Bschools should spend money on PR and PR agencies and use the media to slowly and steadily improve their image and the perception, people have on them...

For example... Lets say a top Business magazine is buddy buddy with a Bschool... It can easily over a long period of time highlight the successful people from the Bschool etc... and can easily be pro a particular Bschool and never have anybody realise this... In the long term what would happen is people would have a more positive image about the Bschool...Everything on earth is done by humans and all humans are biased. period.

And yeah, there is nothing wrong in this. Survial of the fittest and the smartest and uh... media savvy...

K

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

>>>

this is precisely the reason why any "particular" b-school discussion starts going haywire. The Media Cell at most colleges (i dunno about all..) ARE student bodies. do u think that there is a prof for media in b-schools ??

relationships with media. whoa! thats quite an oxymoron. pray! why does a b-school needs a media relationship ? have u answered that ?? my under-grad college never had a media team. heck, even my M.Tech buddies do not have a media cell.

the fact is that while we know that a media team is important. hell, nobody can survive without rankings. even A-grade colleges in India have a ranking focus, though it might be international. and nothing wrong in that too. why should a foreign bskool be any better than our own numero uno college. so, they pitch for a global line.somebody has to fight the rankings war, there's no escaping that. i have taught in a coaching centre..70 % of all questions are like, " Is X a better college than Y or not?" everybody needs answers to these. and if somebody is taking an initiative, nothing wrong.

I fail to see why people become defensive about the presence of a media team. this is not to just point out any specific user or a school, just in general.

even on the broader debate of a PR agency. i may or may not know the b-school Spidey is talking about. but then, they are only professionalising what already happens on a semi-professional level. there are some colleges which could do with some publicity, and i am not just talking about b-schools. look at the US, who ever applies for an MS without registering for usnews.com, because he/she wants to know about the ranking of the college. why would u want to waste a truckload of money on rumours. 😃 😃

bottomline is..what people percieve about media cells is...mostly true

cheers
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hello guys, i m not a very frequent visitor at pg but do come here once in a while...

About NITIE, I can assure every soul on this planet that we don seek any help from PR agencies though i know other big colleges in mumbai hv hired agencies/big brand managers.. I can say that because i myself, am a member of the media cell... In NITIE, media cell is a student body that handles all relationship with media... NITIE media cell is nothing like wat u ppl mostly perceive abt it.. 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

There are 2 aspects to PR. The first is attracting the companies and the second is attracting the "right" students. I am more interested in how the MBA programmes try to achieve the latter.

I went for the MBA fair that was held today at Bangalore. And one thing that struck me was even recognized colleges like Anderson, Tepper etc were trying hard to paint a rosy picture and sell their extraorbitantly expensive MBA courses to the fresh-off-the-boat junta.
I strongly feel that the days of alturistic institutions are dead. An MIT or a Stanford might not come down to sell there Masters in Nanotechnology in a similar environment. The point here being - they don't need to. A person focussed enough to get there will (get there). But for a general management program like MBA there is all the more necessity to reach out and empower the applicants with the right information so an informed decision can be made.

BTW what really annoyed me was the misinformed participants. The most common questions were:

(a) I have finished graduation can I apply for the MBA program next year ?

(b) I have a GMAT of XXX will your college admit me ?

(c) Can I have a scholarship/tuition waiver for the course ?

(d) Can I work part-time ?

(d) What are the placements like ? Can I be guaranteed a job ?

And the college officials did their best to dispel myths and try to drive down some points (esp regarding the workexp and financial aid part). So even out of the 1000s they manage to get someone like a Ketan or a PG or a Simba, their visit was worth it. This is the attitude Indian MBAs lack.

I speak from experience. SPJain rejected me in 2003 (didnt even call for the personal interviews) when I had 98+%ile in CAT, 4+yrs experience and very good essays. I wrote back to them seeking information so that I can apply the next year. My inbox is yet to see a response.

So I think at a very basic level (apart from the snazzy CDs and brochures) they should attempt to reach out to more people and inform them about the course, why it would be best fit for a particular type etc. Instead its still the same rigmarole played year after year - obscene CAT percentiles followed by mindless interviews. But this is a seperate topic in itself.

Regarding GLIM. Well, let me be frank, even I thought it was kinda sugar syruped candy. But at the end of the day, its *I* the applicant who is going to sink in 1 valuable year, so *I* have the onus to research properly and ask the right questions before I decide to apply. No one hurt has ever been hurt by "more" information.

Arun

PS: Sorry if its kinda offtopic.......just felt like saying so

India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company: http://crackverbal.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

See apurv,

the role of Pr agencies is not limited to media planning.They try and get articles published in Newspapers say regarding a New course started by the institute, or a new branch opening up.Or it may be some other story like say something is happening at the stock market.The PR agency gets your eco prof to comment on that and that comment is published as an article in newspapers.

Then some faculty may decide to write a book .This gets published as an article .All the seminars that are held, they get the Press to cover them .Media planing is rarely done by them.

PS : would appreciate if the mods cut off the disscusion abt Media cells frm the Glim thread.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Spiderman Says
God Knows how may B Schools go for PR Agencies .But then in such schools , what will be the role of Media Cells?I dont think they may be having any role at all and learning that u mentioned will be minimal.Also its just a milder way of Advertising ..right?

from what i understand, the roles of the PR agency and a media cell are seperate. correct me if i am not correct

the b-school administratin handles PR and advertising of the institute as an entity. all the ads that you see in magazines are put by them. they are the ones employing the PR agencies.

the student media cell on the other hand, handles PR for the day to day functioning and activities, such as festivals, seminars, conferences etc.

I dont want to name the Bschools here,although i can if the junta wants me to.I hope I hav been around long enough to be trusted by the Junta here.

you can give the first and last letters of the name for us to take a guess. that way. we'll know the names and you'll remain politically correct
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My .02p 😃

Talk about hypocrisy!! People are ready to surrender themselves to b-schools, learn how to promote products, learn how to reach out to outsiders, draft business communication, understand the softer aspects of business, and more, but refuse to see any school in good light that wishes to do the same that it teaches !! No, I am not referring to Great Lakes in this specific instance, but talking in a more generic sense...I guess its more to do with a sense of guilt that one gets out of seeing someone wallow in their positives, howsoever flimsy they may be or howsoever irrelevant they may be in portraying a better picture !! And I guess ppl should start realizing that India is not just the top (sic) 20 odd b-schools or so !! There's schools beyond these !! Inasmuch as we may all hate the famous *think beyond* lines, I guess there sure is a lot more meaning to those words, particularly when we come to appreciating the fact that the entire aspirant base in India *cannot* be straitjacketed into the *top* schools !!!

And as for schools refusing to position themselves, well, its a funny situation indeed....On one hand, you have a mainstream media whose *rankings* are increasingly getting marginalised and trivialized, you have a prospective student base who want to know more of the school but would not tolerate the idea of the school *advertising*, you have the students who play the *we rock* tune to eternity, but rarely go beyond taking it up with the management about how attracting the best students is as much an important part of running a b-school is as is attracting the faculty or building a campus !! Couple this with the stated aim of almost all b-schools of going international, becoming world-class, then its not really hard to see why the international *rankings* rarely, if ever, pay anything more than lipservice to indian B-schools !!!

snan Says
i knw IIM A works with an agency on things like design of CDs, brochures etc to be sent to recruiters and incoming batch etc...i'd rather say we are way behind say IIM B in these activities...and thts negatvie....nothing to be proud of really...IIM B again comes to my mind as one school which has positively used PR in truthful ways to increase their appeal and visibility from being a place meant to produce managers for PSU to one of the top most destinations to do MBA in Asia....

Very refreshing indeed 😃

As for media cells, well its one thing to have a cv point and another to make it worthwhile 😉

Cheers
|| Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity ||
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
pagalguy Says
I dont think its anything wrong to hire PR agencies. But the initial point both I and Apurv made makes even more sense as to why the media cells of certain bschools are more of an eyewash and don't have qualified people heading em.

an interesting topic this is !!

i tend to agree a lot with PG and apurv....on the fact tht b schools must position themselves and let it be known to their customers....i do not think why one should be too sceptical about tht....if a delhi based school does unethical PR thn its for advertising related regulatory bodies to take action.....but saying PR per se is wrong for b schools, i think is not very fair..i knw IIM A works with an agency on things like design of CDs, brochures etc to be sent to recruiters and incoming batch etc...i'd rather say we are way behind say IIM B in these activities...and thts negatvie....nothing to be proud of really...
IIM B again comes to my mind as one school which has positively used PR in truthful ways to increase their appeal and visibility from being a place meant to produce managers for PSU to one of the top most destinations to do MBA in Asia....
so i guess it's time others nicrease their PR spents rather thn holding back....think A has also improved over the past 2-3 years as can be seen by the increasing no. of non-I Bank international firms from Europe and US that shows interest to come here and sponsor itnernships etc....as our student recruiting head likes to put it "we are no longer investment banking world's best kept secret !!"

Suhas
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I dont think its anything wrong to hire PR agencies. But the initial point both I and Apurv made makes even more sense as to why the media cells of certain bschools are more of an eyewash and don't have qualified people heading em.

Rather than fearing that it will create a furor, lets stick to our beloved forum's uniqueness..... "The truth is out here"... so spidey, go on shoot the b-schools ......

Ketan
Command like a king, work like a slave.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
ketanm
@ketanm  ·  251 karma
puneet Says
well spidey , naming schools can create lots of issues here , thats your choice , you could tell what type / areas of PR did these b schools ask for.

Rather than fearing that it will create a furor, lets stick to our beloved forum's uniqueness..... "The truth is out here"... so spidey, go on shoot the b-schools ......

Ketan
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...