Ask MBA Decoder your MBA/ MS Admissions Queries

25 Posts  ·  108 Users
About this group

We at MBA Decoder would love to answer your queries related to anything admissions- profile evaluation, specific application questions, essay advice, anything!

Page 1 of 3

I m working,i would like to pursue an MBA part time.Could you please suggest me good institutions  where i could  take up an Executive MBA  in Bangalore. 

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I m working,i would like to pursue an MBA part time.Could you please suggest me good institutions  where i could  take up an Executive MBA  in Bangalore.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi @mba-help I am new out here and need some suggestion regarding my profile evaluation. Any help would be highly appreciated. Chemical Engineer ( Non IIT) but tier 1.5,I have about 5 years of professional work ex in oil and gas with good brand names, worked in taiwan and US on different projects, cleared 3 levels of CFA ( Consecutive years, first attempt) while working as an engineer. Pursued my startup ( Semi tech, F&B retail) for 1.5 years post my job and CFA unfortunately it didnt work out and now have joined my family business as i want to implement my learnings in startup and recover some loss that I had in my startup. I will be looking out for an evy league MBA ( expected GMAT:720) but I dont know if my profie will be valued for an evy league college. Please Helpppppp!!!
P.S: I would be looking at a management consulting role post MBA. 

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

GMAT and GRE- How much should I target?

"How much GMAT score should I get for XYZ school?"  I have heard this question being asked consistently over the past six years, since MBA Decoder came into being.  Now that b-schools have started accepting GRE, applicants have added GRE to that same question.

For the "cent percent" marks obsessed Indians, the answer could not be more different than an 800 on 800 (GMAT) or a 340 on 340 (GRE). Logically, you can only score the GMAT / GRE as per your capability to perform on the test. A few other factors can influence your performance- your preparedness and you luck on test day. In reality, a target score defined by a third person is not going to help much.

A better approach is to look at the average scores of target b-schools. An ideal score is several points above that. For example, if ISB's average score is 704, its advisable that you get 710 or above. Having said this, we are aware of applicants who scored a 760 GMAT and were not invited for interview and we have also helped a few applicants with low scores of 660, who were admitted. The point is,  your admission chances depend upon the overall strength of your application. The GMAT is an extremely important criterion, but it is still one among many others.

If you are applying to foreign universities, the situation becomes a little different. Admission spots for the Indian applicants are much smaller here as compared to ISB or IIMs, where the demographic is entirely Indian. This intensifies the competition manifold.  It would be rare to find an Indian with a score of less than 720 at the top 20 US colleges.  For these colleges, class average of GMAT score are not very indicative for Indian applicants, you should aim for atleast a 20-30 point jump over those.  Another guiding factor is being closer to the top end range of the class GMAT (b-schools publish 20th to 80th percentile range of GMAT in their class profile summary). For colleges that rank beyond the top 20, a GMAT score close to 700 will still keep you in the game, although higher scores and competitiveness on other criteria will help you race up to scholarships.

http://mbadecoder.com|  Free Profile Evaluation| Ph: 9901566772. Ask us your queries on PagalGuy
1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi all, 

Welcome to another season of MBA applications. Shoot us your queries and we'd be happy to help you out.

http://mbadecoder.com|  Free Profile Evaluation| Ph: 9901566772. Ask us your queries on PagalGuy
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

READ OUR ANALYSIS OF THE RECOMMENDATIONS, WHICH YOU CAN FORWARD TO YOUR RECOMMENDERS:

Under what circumstances and for how long have you known the applicant? (50 words maximum)

Mention the time period for which the applicant and you have known each other; Your designation; designation of the applicant; working relation between both of you.

Please rate the applicant's achievements when compared to those of his or her peers and mention the reference group with which you are making these comparisons. (100 words maximum).

Give an idea of the characteristics of the group in which the applicant works; what have the applicant's achievements been within this group? ; How would the recommender compare the applicant with the rest of the group? You can give a scaled rating (1 to 5). 

Please describe, in brief, situations where the applicant displayed signs of leadership abilities and team skills. (200 words maximum) 

Give examples of situations where he displayed these strengths. Please be sure to give details of the candidates working style so that the reader gets a fair illustration of the strength for which you have given the example.

Please mention two consistent strengths of the applicant and if possible provide instances where she/he demonstrated these strengths. (200 words maximum).

These strengths could be anything- communication skills, analytical skills, intelligence, diligence, mentoring abilities, compassion, CSR initiatives etc. Give examples to support your answers.

Please indicate two areas where the applicant has shown learning and improvement which would addvalue to his application to the ISB. (100 words maximum)

Mention 2 areas of the candidate's weakness. What were the steps he took to improve upon them? Has he improved on those fronts now/ is improving now?Alternatively, you could give an area where he does not have a weakness per say, but has shown considerable improvement.

Please provide any other comments that you consider are relevant to the applicant's admission to the ISB, especially regarding the applicant's career in business/management. (200 words maximum)

Here you can mention the candidates overall career progress, as you have seen it; his future potential and why you agree that he needs the MBA

MBA Decoder

www.mbadecoder.com/mba

7 likes
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Here's our part two of the class profile list for the top 21-40 US b-schools. Use this to make your analysis of how you stack up at these b-schools.

http://mbadecoder.com/class-profiles-top-business-schools-part-ii/

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

For all of you interested in applying to the top US b-schools, we have compiled the class profiles of the latest class (2015). You can now view this information all at one place instead of going to individual websites of these b-schools.

Also, watch out for part TWO

http://mbadecoder.com/class-profiles-top-b-schools/

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Different MBA Formats:

You can do an MBA in different formats, depending upon your preference and requirement. There is the regular two year MBA, the one year MBA, executive MBA, evening MBA or weekend MBA - you can take your pick. 

Click on the article URL to know more about each of the formats and then determine which is good for you:

http://mbadecoder.com/different-mba-formats-for-me/

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Kellogg Essay Analysis 2014-15

1. Resilience. Perseverance. Grit. Call it what you will … challenges can build character. Describe a challenging experience you've had. How were you tested? What did you learn? (450 words)

Kellogg has always asked about challenging situations or obstacles in their essay lineup. This year, there is a little bit of a twist to it.

“Challenges can build character”!

We completely agree. Challenges bring us face-to-face with adverse situations, those that we are not used to handling. Coping with such situations requires that we step out of our comfort zones and take actions to overcome them. Along the way, we display persistence, our unbending spirit and the ability to bounce back.  Needless to say, your example should embody these traits.

What is the challenging experience that you have had? Go on to describe the event, giving details that make the picture complete- Who were the other people involved? What was your role in the situation vis-à-vis theirs? What were the challenges that you faced? Did they arise from people or processes or both? Most important, how did you overcome them- what steps did you take to navigate your way through the situation?

To answer the cue “how were you tested”,  some reflection is required on why you thought these were challenges in the first place. People view situations differently and your view of this situation will give the reader some idea about what you consider as difficult or easy. Where possible, mention what steps did you decide to take to overcome the situation and why?  This detail is crucial because you are not just describing a one-off situation that required a quick fix;  but you are telling about a time that led to your personal characteristics getting built/enhanced, which would have involved some thoughts, analyses and actions.

A reader who has got involved in your story would wait to know the outcome of your efforts, so do make a mention of it.

End the essay with your takeaways from this experience. What did you learn from this example and if applicable, how did you use that learning in future.

Personal or professional situation- the adcom has not given any specific directions as they have in the next question, so feel free to select a strong example from either sphere that hits the right chords.

2. Leadership requires an ability to collaborate with and motivate others. Describe a professional experience that required you to influence people.  What did this experience teach you about working with others, and how will it make you a better leader? (450 words)

Leadership is an all-pervasive component of the MBA education and influencing or motivating others to achieve a common goal is a quality of an able leader. The adcom has specifically asked for a professional experience where you influenced a person or a team to follow your ideas.

As in the situation of the previous question, your character is strengthened when you face resistance. Chances are that people did not buy into your idea at the first instance and that you had to reason with them, use persuasion, mild authority (in a nice way) or spot early adapters who would become your champions. Typically influencing others requires you to do some groundwork yourself –  you may  need to build a relationship with people to gain their trust, be receptive to their thoughts and ideas, be willing to compromise  and include their perspectives in your plan.  Whatever be your style, make the reader visualize your commitment to your vision, the multiple steps that you took to win people over and the individual's/team's gradual conversion to “aye”sayers.

You are the protagonist of this show, so take adequate credit for your work in influencing the team- don't downplay your role in the situation because that will not show you as a strong leader. On the reverse, over praising your actions can make you sound vain.

The situation would require you to use varying tactics with different people. What did you learn about other people's behavior or about your own style of dealing with them? Did you realize that you were great at reading people and altering your communication strategy accordingly? Or did you realize that you needed to be more accepting of other peoples thoughts?  Whatever your key learnings, make an honest judgment of yourself.  Lastly, how will you use these lessons in the future to become a more effective leader? If there is some component of the Kellogg program that you think will benefit you, then mention it here.

Additional questions:

Re-applicants: Since your previous application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? (250 word limit)The Video Essay:

Kellogg had introduced a video essay last year as a way to interact with every applicant.  The video makes your application all the more personable by giving a face to your name- this is pretty much the Kellogg way, a b-school that is known for its collegial environment and for the high value it places on relationships among students and faculty.

The change from last year is that Kellogg has removed one written essay and made that a video essay. So now you have two video questions to answer. We are reprinting their guidelines about the video essay over here:

• After submitting a completed application, each applicant will be asked to complete two video essay questions. One will be about the candidate's interest in Kellogg and the other will be a “getting to know you” type of question.
  • There are 10 practice questions which candidates can complete as many times as they like to get comfortable with the format and technology. The practice questions and experience will simulate the actual video essay experience, so this is meant to be a useful tool and help applicants feel prepared.
  • There is not an opportunity to re-do the answer to the official video essay questions. We encourage applicants to practice so they are comfortable with the format once it is time to complete the official questions.
  • Candidates will have 20 seconds to think about their question and up to 1 minute to give their response.

- See more at: http://mbadecoder.com/blog/#sthash.QcE7Q9Ma.dpuf

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...