Ask ISBmantra.com - Anything and Everything about ISB

44 Posts  ·  193 Users
About this group

Ex ISB Admissions Officials answer all your questions about different ISB programs like the PGP, YLP, EEO, PGPMAX, PGPpro etc.

Page 1 of 5

When will the admissions open for eeo 2019? I am not able to create an account and the message displayed is  "Admissions closed for PGP 2018-19" . Can I still apply for eeo, if yes then how?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I need to know about the PGPpro programme. May I know if anyone enrolled on it earlier?

1 comment
ISBmantra.com
@ISBmantra.com  ·  2,237 karma

Hi Ravi! We have several candidates who joined the PGP Pro program. Feel free to discuss your concerns. 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

ISB gives you just 5-7 days for your interview prep. Read past interview experiences here to get a broad-level understanding of the kind of questions asked: https://www.isbmantra.com/resources/isb-interview-questions/interview-experience-manufacturing

All the Best! 

ISBmantra

Post 5770217924329472
The only company with Former ISB Admissions Officials on Board | Call: 1800-3070-3111
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

IIMA PGPX Essay Analysis: 

1. Describe your best Day at Work

IIMA has certainly given good thought to their essay prompts this year, and both the essays would require you to read between the lines. With a typical PGPX applicant having more than 5 years of experience, there must be several instances when they felt good about their work or felt “accomplished and appreciated”. The school asks you to pick the best of the lot.
With the candidates we are working with already, a typical trend observed is of coming up with stories around some project they received an award for and how they were the happiest that day. Another variation is the philosophical and philanthropic angle of “supporting” a junior colleague, so much so, that he/she would have lost their job otherwise.
While these may be a few desirable elements in your story, the choice of your story should be driven more by your biggest achievement in the course of working on your core projects than something you may have had a one-off experience on. Even if the activity does not include any awards that you received, if it was a challenging project and if you were the hero of the story, feel free to choose that. The key is to be able to demonstrate your best work; and through the medium of your biggest achievement, establish the quality of projects you are involved in. It may be as simple as delivering what you were supposed to deliver in the first place, but if it is a good project to talk about, and entails unexpected challenges and how you presented strategic, out-of-the-box solutions to the problem, you have the right ingredients for a strong essay. In contrast, if all you have is an “automation” story even after working for 5+ years in the industry, then you need to think more (and do more).

2. Why would you not like to go back to your last Organization?

Would you not? You never stated that you wouldn’t – so if you are open to going back to your organization, feel free to accept that you don’t mind going back. With the high work-ex that PGPX candidates come with, a drastic career or industry shift remains challenging even with an MBA. And if you were to remain in the same industry, you may very well be open to going back to your organization, taking advantage of your network, and your understanding of the organizational culture and business.
Never ever criticize (read *complain* about) your employer or the set-up or the people even if you are very clear about moving on. The key is to present your past experience in good light (rather present it as awesome), and then go on to present your reasons to explore alternate opportunities. This could be driven by the motivation to gain exposure to a more diverse business, products or clients, move to a certain role or function, or just explore opportunities that are more leadership or business oriented.
This in principle, also means that your essay will have to present your short-term and long-term goals and how working with a certain set of organizations will help you achieve your goals better. This may happen equally well if you were to go back to your last organization (in your desired role of course), and if that’s the case, don’t say no to your last organization just for the sake of answering the question right.
A few candidates asked us if the essay prompt may be about going back to your last organization even before your MBA? Well, we think it would be more logical for IIM-A to discuss your plans and the reasoning behind those plans post MBA than a scenario where you don’t have an MBA at all. Also, there are several candidates who have worked for 7-8 years with the same organization, ever since they started their career – what would they answer if it was about going back to your organization before the MBA?

Happy to help you Build your own Personal Story. Contact us for more details.

All the Best!
ISBmantra / Admit Square Consulting
http://www.isbmantra.com | http://www.admitsquare.com

The only company with Former ISB Admissions Officials on Board | Call: 1800-3070-3111
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Do we know if they have started giving out interview calls for R1 applications for the class of 2019-20?

3 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 3
ISBmantra.com

Not yet Harsh! It should start only towards the last week of September. 

All the Best!

ISBmantra

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
vmimani
@vmimani  ·  0 karma

Can you please tell me the dates of interviews for Bangalore and when will the interview shortlist be released? I have to travel outside India for work and will have to inform my manager.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi, I am a re-applicant for ISB, is there a way to access my previous application data. The stuff that I submitted, essays etc., I had made a lot of final edits directly online

1 comment
aarugoel
@aarugoel  ·  13 karma

Check the email you used to register for last year's application. They send you the entire thing in a pdf form as far as I can remember (I'm a reapplicant too and I have my version saved)

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi All,

I am plannig to Give GMAT in the 1 st Week of August(TO have another spot open, if needed for September 1 st Week) for main purpose of applying for Cyclye - 1 of ISB. How much should be a minimum score for my profile?

Profile:

BITS- Pilani EEE - B.E. Hons Degree

4+ Years Work ex - 2 Years in Analytics Consulting and 2+ in Olacabs (Present). 

Seen Business at Olacabs - Operations, Programs, Finanaces, Analytics Etc.

A very good 10 th and 12 th Mark List.  Should I have planned to Give GMAT bit early? Please help as I am new in this Area.

4 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 4
Ruhr_Resident
@Ruhr_Resident  ·  0 karma

Thanks Adesh and ISB Mantra! I have few more questions?

1) Any other Univs which Take GMAT in India with my Work-Ex(Would be Almost ~5 Years By the Time I join)

2) Best Univs in the terms of ROI outside India?( I come from financially tight background. I cannot afford huge loans of 40 L+. Please suggest if any decent univs fall below this threshold)

3) How does Cycle 2 of ISB differ from Cycle 1?

4) Any Benchmark for the Number of Questions to get absolutely correct in Verbal Section out of 37? I know the test is adaptive but any sense like try to get atleast half of them correct and may be 2 or 3 of tem wrong in quant to get a 700+? Something on those lines?

Thanks in Advance!

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
ISBmantra.com

1. The IIM 1-year programs

2. We have very little information about your profile to suggest anything outside India. Happy to get on a call to discuss this once we have gone through your CV. 

3. Cycle 1 starts clean with ISB ensuring a healthy class profile and diversity whereas Cycle 2 there are more applicants and ISB having given out admits to a certain set, has some benchmarks set. 

4. No comments. We aren't into GMAT training. 

All the Best! 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  1 like  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Want to know about how placements at ISB work? Here is how it all starts:

"Pre-Placement Talks"

Placements are the most highly-discussed, significant and anticipated (with equal portions of stress and excitement) event at any B-School, including the ISB. Placement season usually begins in late November with Day 1, but it is precluded by Pre-Placement Talks (PPTs) which herald the imminent saga of placements.

PPTs are organised by the Career Advancement Council (a student body) in conjunction with Career Advancement Services team (part of the school administration).

Why?

PPTs are sessions held by recruiting companies at the campus (in some instances by tele-presence) to introduce the organisation, it’s culture and the roles being offered (usually) and to allow them to answer questions prospective applicants might have. Simultaneously, it allows recruiters to gauge the interest level of the students and serves as a critical first impression for first-time recruiters.

While most major recruiters conduct PPTs, not every recruiter does so.

Who?

The recruiters are usually represented by the senior management (Principal/Director/VP/Co-Founder) which can often include a few ISB alums, ISB recruits from the last year and an HR personnel.

All students are eligible to attend any PPT and there is no cap on the maximum no. of PPTs one can attend. To ensure attendance at all PPTs across the months, each student is allocated a few PPTs that they are expected to mandatorily attend, which they easily can swap with another classmate if desired. 

When?

They are conducted in a phased manner, usually a few weeks before the commencement of the interview process of the company. The first PPTs start as early as late August/September with the frequency picking up as Day 1 draws close, continuing until almost a week before Day 1. Students are usually informed a few days in advance and these are always held outside regular class hours, though there might be two PPTs going on simultaneously in rare instances.

Where?

PPTs are held at both campuses, with several companies sending teams to Hyderabad as well as Mohali, while some companies prefer to connect via video-conference. 

What?

The PPT begins with the guests introducing themselves, following which a senior employee usually takes the audience through a slideshow that includes:

· Introduction of the company

· Its major businesses 

· Leadership profile 

· Geographical coverage

· Organisation structure 

· Values and work culture  

· Growth areas

Most companies discuss the roles being offered that year with respect to the job description, eligibility, preferred background and experience etc. Companies may or may not reveal the exact CTC at the time.

The slideshow is usually followed by an alum discussing his/her experience and journey at the organisation and may also include his interview process and what helped him/her land the role. The HR personnel may step in to cover any other details. 

Post this, the floor is opened for questions, moderated by the campus placement team. Students usually enquire about the job role, eligibility and work environment. 

The PPTs usually last between 45mins to 1.5 hours. Almost all companies participate in an informal break-out session outside the venue, where students can engage in free-wheeling one-on-one conversations with the team and network.

How?

There are several ways a prospective applicant can leverage a PPT to his/her advantage. 

The most critical is obtaining an understanding of the company and role and assessing his/her personal fit. Once that is established, he/she can use the PPT to ask insightful questions about the organisation to demonstrate interest and knowledge, and network with alums who are usually very helpful when preparing for the process later.

Tip: Researching the team on LinkedIn prior to/during the PPT can immensely help in finding the relevant person to connect with and strike a more fruitful a conversation with them. 

Post 4664755688570880
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Any idea when the ylp round 1 results are expected to come out?

1 comment
ISBmantra.com

Hi @stupid123! So did you make it to Stage 2?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Quite a few Mumbai calls given out last evening. Will keep coming for another 3-4 days. 

All the Best to everyone waiting! 

1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...