Are you going to buy the 31k iPhone?

18 Posts  ·  13 Users
About this group
Vodafone has announced prices for the iphone in India. The 8GB one is going to be for INR 31,000 while the 16GB phone would go for INR 36-37k. Airtel's is expected to be similar Also keeping in mind the fact that the cost of using the iPhone ...
Page 1 of 2
DISADVANTAGES/SHORTFALLS -

1. No 3g video calls over 3g n/w
2. Bluteooth is only limited to headset use (no file transfer)
3. NO camera settings what so ever
4. NO autofocus, NO flash
5. You cannot forward a SMS message, you have to retype it
6. NO copy paste function
7. Mediokre camera (only2MP camera it carries is worst camera I've ever seen..... photos look like they have come out of a VGA camera) Nokia N95 has a 5 mega pixel camera and full screen video recording and TV-out.
8. Plastic casing (Earlier it was metallic casing)
9. NO FM RADIO --hah hah hah... you are at stone age.
10. NO video recording
11. Overpriced in India
12. Safari web browser does not support flash & java
13. No sync bbetween notes & to do's
14. No office document editor.
15 No AD2P on the Bluetooth
16 No removable battery. (You cannot change battery. Have to send it to apple outlet.. Come on now!!!!...This is not an iPod. Its a phone. You cannot live without phone for 2-3 days) Emergency gone, ur left utterly helpless...u throw this piece out.
17 Cannot send MMS,
18. Cannot use as external storage device
19. Cant share ANY (mp3, images,videos....) files via Bluetooth
20. Can't use as a wireless modem, (you pay ridiculous data charges to
activate internet on your phone, but cannot connect it to
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
uRmad Says
Yea, Google currently uses triangulation + some more unspecified means to show your location. As for navigation, they currently do not have maps to that level of detail. Nokia, otoh, purchased a mapping company just for that....Although, am inclined to believe that navigation will definitely be available either from Google or M$ going forward.

On the Google Maps front, i read something interesting today
link: Google Expands Its Wiki Approach to Map Making (India Edition)

We desperately need good road driving maps in here. Maybe this will grow into something worthwhile

On an unrelated note, Preity Zinta seems to have convinced a lot of people (in the Poll). BSNL's ad does seem to be working :wink:
Some links I came across today...

Has the 3G iPhone price been cut?- Telecom-News-Indiatimes - Infotech
- Indiatimes Infotech

There's a clever catch here, according to what I've heard. You must be already knowing that some banks have announced EMI plans for the iPhone. If you go for those EMI plans, the total you'll end up spending for the 4GB iPhone would be 31k - including interest. But the price quoted would be 29k.
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv

One of my friend forwarded me the following information about I phone - I am kind of discouraged to have it now 😞 dont know how true few things are, however, a 31k investment needs a second thought !

The following are the shortcomings of this 'cool' phone:
No Video Calls
No AD2P on Bluetooth
Cant share any (mp3, Images, Videos...) Files via Bluetooth
Can't use as a Wireless Modem (you pay ridiculous data charges to activate internet on your phone, but cannot connect it to your PC and browse when you are at home)
No Copy and Paste (cannot copy a part of a... say email/messages & send it)
No 3.2 / 5 Megapixel Camera (the 2MP camera it carries is worst camera one would ever seen photos look like they have come out of a VGA)
No Video Recording with Camera
No Front Camera
No flash
No JAVA Support
No Physical Keyboard (Believe it or not, this alone is a deal breaker. Touch keyboard is for good looks. Once you use it, you get to know the importance of having a hard keypad)
No 3G Network yet in India. So why pay for expensive 3G phone if you can't use its 3G services => iPhone 2.0 is no Better than its first Version!
No Removable Battery (you will have to send it to Apple outlet. Come on now! This isn't an iPod; it's a bloody phone. You cannot live without phone for 2-3 days)
No Haptic Feedback
Cannot send MMS
Can't use External Storage Device (16 GB of utter waste isn't it? Next time you go to your friend's house & find some interesting songs, movies, sorry but you cannot connect your '16 GB' phone and share it! Apple apparently has a solution, "Buy Music & Movies from iTunes Store". Yeah rite, gimme a break will you APPLE!)
No FM Radio
Can't use your mp3 files as Ringtones (This is heights man!)
Cannot Insert any other SIM Card
Completely tied to iTunes... Connect to your friend's iTunes & you risk erasing everything on your phone
Want to add third party software's? You have to buy from iTunes store only

We Indians are used to these features. Most of our phones already have them. Imagine paying so much for a phone with which you cannot transfer files via Bluetooth. Back to Stone-Age?!
Some features may be activated by jailbreak. But why the hell should you risk losing your warranty after paying so much.
Apple are trying to IMPOSE their model, riding on the hype iPhone has created in the US. Since it was a flop in Europe, Apple never talks about its sales in Europe.
Don't fall for the subsidized price of iPhone. Check out the Data Plan with the SIM.
Goodness of iPhone is that it is the best looking phone & has the best browsing experience. So if you can sacrifice everything that deserves to be put in a phone and go for looks, then IPhone is the one. Else, there are loads of other options in the market!

Some links I came across today...

Has the 3G iPhone price been cut?- Telecom-News-Indiatimes - Infotech
- Indiatimes Infotech

And these, for some more references:
- Indiatimes Infotech
Pricey iPhone turns off buyers - Telecom-News-Indiatimes - Infotech
iPhone to raise your bill by 25%- Telecom-News-Indiatimes - Infotech

Typically, iPhone's official version has ended up taking a beating from the Indian Public. Not unexpected, eh?

Regards,
Grondmaster

Apurv Says
It's evolved to a level that it tells you where you are using tower location. That fact itself makes clear Google's intentions about turning on guidance and navigation in India. It should come in an year in some cities.

Yea, Google currently uses triangulation + some more unspecified means to show your location. As for navigation, they currently do not have maps to that level of detail. Nokia, otoh, purchased a mapping company just for that....Although, am inclined to believe that navigation will definitely be available either from Google or M$ going forward....

As for iPhone, aah.....Mebbe its Apple's way of indicating that they are arriving in India ! Of course, Macs and ipods have been around for a while, but this is their first product that comes attached with huge hype.... And lest ya guys forget, India was one of the largest markets for one of their most expensive devices, the N95 ! Yep, Indians are suckers for snob-inducers 😉
|| Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity ||

i ll better wait for some1 2 crack s sim code. get d ph for 8ks form u.s. or somever and den use it. save 20Ks.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the only advantage of buying the iPhone from Vodafone that you have warranty and GPS access?

I wouldn't spend 16k extra for these two. In any case Google Maps for mobile will evolve to rival pure play GPS for layman usage pretty soon. So I wouldn't buy a iPhone from Vodafone until it is less than 150 pc of what it costs for people in the US. Also, a cracked iPhone will allow me to change SIM cards and make use of number portability across operators whenever it comes.

iPhone's new version has GPS receiver. Previous versions used Wi-Fi triangulation(Wi-Fi hot spots across US, Canada and Europe were identified, and were assigned code as per their lattitudes and longitudes, iPhone would catch wi-fi and caluclate position), to know position, that too only in US, Canada and Europe. But the new version(3G) got a GPS reciever.

1. Last but not the least the Google Maps doesn't even work in India as of now, so forget things like voice navigation and turn by turn guidance which is available with the Nokia navigation phones. :|

It's evolved to a level that it tells you where you are using tower location. That fact itself makes clear Google's intentions about turning on guidance and navigation in India. It should come in an year in some cities.
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv

But if you have some extra moolah in your bank account to spend and just can't resist yourself, go ahead.

agar kisi ke paas extra moolah hai toh mujhe de do, mai khareed loonga
Amat Victoria Curam