Are B-Schools glorified placement agencies? Praxis finds it out!

11 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
Praxis Panel 2010 *[image] * *The Praxis Business School Panel debates the role B-schools should play* Kolkata witnessed the top stratum of corporate leaders and honchos in town to discuss a smoldering concern that faces management educ...
Page 1 of 2
While appreciating the points made by the panel, I feel that this is the general notion of people doing any educational degree in India is that it will help me earn more. To quote Aamir in 3 idiots, no one is a classroom enthusiastic about learning new things. They are in a classroom to get a piece of paper that will entitle them to a higher pay cheque. (Myself included)

I do not see B schools making a concerted effort to change this image either. The best of colleges release their placement figures to the newspapers who love to sensationalize the same to MBA college ABC grad gets a offer of 1 crore is front page news. Well, B Schools teaching marketing know definately know how to market themselves. Hence, brouchures of colleges almost always have a previous placements page.

While your post title has a question mark, and as Apurv noted, we heard the summary of each of the panelists opinion, we have not heard the outcome of the discussion itself. Did the panel have anything to say on "Are they glorified placement agencies or not?"

Hello,

As the summary presented by me above very clearly mentions what each speaker spoke about the topic. There was not a single consensus as the eminent panelists had their own views on the topic which they shared with the audience. Its not necessary to arrive at a conclusion. It only opens the mind of the students and b-schools at large and makes them think differently by analyzing various aspects of a b-school while making an admission application.

Regards.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
I feel pleased to put down my opinion here regarding this:

1. There are many students, who are actually not looking for quality studies, building skillset/ potential , most important employability and are rather more interested to make money.
And simultaneously,
2. Many B-schools are also there, which do not add value to the student's profile and personality and rather more interested in making revenues out of their business.

On the other hand,

There are top MBA institutes in India, which actually help a student in grooming himself to an "MBA" personality out of an individual.

So, keeping both views in mind we cannot generalize and put all the institutes in the same category.

While appreciating the points made by the panel, I feel that this is the general notion of people doing any educational degree in India is that it will help me earn more. To quote Aamir in 3 idiots, no one is a classroom enthusiastic about learning new things. They are in a classroom to get a piece of paper that will entitle them to a higher pay cheque. (Myself included)

I do not see B schools making a concerted effort to change this image either. The best of colleges release their placement figures to the newspapers who love to sensationalize the same to MBA college ABC grad gets a offer of 1 crore is front page news. Well, B Schools teaching marketing know definately know how to market themselves. Hence, brouchures of colleges almost always have a previous placements page.

While your post title has a question mark, and as Apurv noted, we heard the summary of each of the panelists opinion, we have not heard the outcome of the discussion itself. Did the panel have anything to say on "Are they glorified placement agencies or not?"

A post helped you? Please like it. The Karma count helps differentiate the helpful folks. Want to evaluate your profile for B School? Check this out http://knightinwhite.blogspot.com/2013/07/quick-guide-to-evaluating-your-profile.html
prahladagarwal Says
In that case MBA aspirants should choose b-schools based on the job offers (profile and job description) of the b-school rather than fat pay packages that b-schools quote on their brochures... Alas! this is not the reality.

yeah, and we do know the packages they sometimes quote is not true always! what's the point of having a great package today ? Everyone looks at what position your working at today. If you get an amazing package but you don't like the job then what's the point taking it up. All the College ever cares about the fact that they somehow get as many students as possible placed irrespective of the Profile, and to some extent even package, because they just wanna show the world they could get students placed, and to the students whom they couldn't usually they just place a tag on him stating he wasn't good enough or took up family business.

The World's unfair everywhere you go. All you've got to do is deal with it. Fight it out seems to be the Mantra of the World.

We aspirants should make sure everyone today is aware that doing MBA from a top notch institute will only do you more good than harm, there are so many institutes that aren't up to the mark but people get into them just because they think MBA will fetch them a better package.

I've taken my chances with Alliance Business School & even before joining i've told myself, if i don't manage to get myself placed through campus I'm gonna try it from outside, Already prepared a list of companies i'm gonna approach via friends/ contacts.

Expect the Best. Be Prepared for the Worst.

In that case MBA aspirants should choose b-schools based on the job offers (profile and job description) of the b-school rather than fat pay packages that b-schools quote on their brochures... Alas! this is not the reality.

Isn't the whole point of professional education to give you skills that make you successful in your career? You would expect a good medical school to graduate students who become great Doctors.

Similarly a good B School should have graduates who become great managers. Obviously, a school that does that well, would be more popular with recruiters & would thus have a good placement record.

Whats the point of a B school that imparts irrelevant outdated information to students, who then need to be RETRAINED by the companies that hire them?

the big questions remains unanswered... are b-schools are meant for the same?

Even the b-schools know this. I have heard that XLRI is planning to reduce the contact hours for the two year program - so some courses will be reduced. So students passing out this year will be having less interaction with the faculty. XLRI placements will ensure that the half-baked students get good placements. No questions and no issues for anyone except for the students later on.

gl

Hi Apurv,

I accept your question but to know about the actual and detailed explanations on the topic, you should have been present as an audience of the discussion. I have just presented a summary which is supposed to be a briefing of the event.

Thanks

Forgive me if I am wrong, but from the above report it seems they discussed everything except the issue and spoke what we all already know.

I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv